December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    WALKING BREAKS

This came up a bunch in the November thread, and I just stumbled across this on Hal Higdon's website. (This applies to distance running - obviously a walking break in a 1 mile race is far more impactful than in a marathon)
    Hal Hgdon wrote:
    Walking Breaks: Walking is a perfectly acceptable strategy even for ultramarathon runners, and it works during training runs too. While some coaches recommend walking 1 minute out of every 10, or walking 1 minute every mile, I teach runners to walk when they come to an aid station. This serves a double function: 1) you can drink more easily while walking as opposed to running, and 2) since many other runners slow or walk through aid stations, you’ll be less likely to block those behind. It’s a good idea to follow this strategy in training as well. (You may want to use a water belt if you don’t have easy access to water on your training course.) You will lose less time walking than you think. I once ran a 2:29 marathon as a master, winning a world title, walking through every aid station. My son Kevin ran 2:18 and qualified for the Olympic Trials employing a similar strategy. And Bill Rodgers took four brief breaks (tying a shoe on one of them) while running 2:09 and winning the 1975 Boston Marathon. Walking gives your body a chance to rest, and you’ll be able to continue running more comfortably. It’s best to walk when you want to, not when your (fatigued) body forces you too.

I personaly fully agree with this advice. Obviously you want to get to the point where you can run your full race with out stopping, but that does not mean walking breaks is forbidden. Just be sensible about them.

I do this whenever I'm racing (and on training runs when I'm hydrating as well). It's a very sound strategy. Plus I wind up either choking or with nuun up my nose if I try to run and drink at the same time.

Ditto. I am not coordinated enough to chug a full (non-sippy) cup of Gatorade and run full-speed-ahead at the same time. I would be a danger to myself and others if I tried that during a race. ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    1---2.01

2/45 miles

Upcoming Hopful Races
    January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)

We made a spreadsheet last year for goals. I invite everyone to use it that is interested.
    Here is this year's:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LUrYIXDcP_G7VWXF9p_EgcS-wd1_kVG8K8V1-LMPVJc/edit?usp=drivesdk

And one for 2019:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROh-KoKfwMqinTkCeeeBEHg_wVLiXv02UHMp-1RT1Xk/edit?usp=drivesdk

I think it was @rusgolden that helped with the formatting. Thanks again for your help.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    zerlinna87 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm hopping on here for the December challenge. My goal is to run 3-4 times a week this month.

As a side note, I'm looking to get my nearly 70 year old mother a fitness tracker for Christmas, preferably Garmin. I need it to be simple, water proof (she does a lot of water aerobics), and possibly less than $100. Any suggestions? I have a Garmin viviactive 3, and I like it pretty well. I don't think she needs anything quite as advanced as mine.

@zerlinna87 Vivofit is the simplest one and might be fine for her needs. Next model up is Vivosmart - might be a little over $100 though. Oh, this Vivofit 4 is on sale right now for 59.99 and this Vivosmart 3 for 69.99.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Feeling sad and irritated today. Tested my leg on a short run after a whole week off only to find it's even worse than ever and I was forced to stop after 4km. No idea what I've done - when at rest, the calf seems to be the problem - very knotted, but when I'm running it's achilles pain which stops me, although I can use it without any pain doing calf raises and stretches. At the moment, sitting here six hours after my gentle jog, I can feel my calf and hip. Have booked into to see a sports physio on Wednesday and won't be running on it before then!

Definitely stay off it till you see the doc. Pushing yourself now will likely make things worse
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade

Busy day, but did not let it go by without getting a number up on the board. :)

Up comming Races

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    zerlinna87 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm hopping on here for the December challenge. My goal is to run 3-4 times a week this month.

As a side note, I'm looking to get my nearly 70 year old mother a fitness tracker for Christmas, preferably Garmin. I need it to be simple, water proof (she does a lot of water aerobics), and possibly less than $100. Any suggestions? I have a Garmin viviactive 3, and I like it pretty well. I don't think she needs anything quite as advanced as mine.

I LOVE my vivoactive 3, it's a level above a fitbit without all the bells and whistles of a more expensive Garmin
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Feeling sad and irritated today. Tested my leg on a short run after a whole week off only to find it's even worse than ever and I was forced to stop after 4km. No idea what I've done - when at rest, the calf seems to be the problem - very knotted, but when I'm running it's achilles pain which stops me, although I can use it without any pain doing calf raises and stretches. At the moment, sitting here six hours after my gentle jog, I can feel my calf and hip. Have booked into to see a sports physio on Wednesday and won't be running on it before then!

Noooo hugs! I hope the physio helps. Hopefully a good (painful) deep massage is what you née. Hugs!

PS you have to be better for the 27/28th cause I'm in Auckland, staying in St lukes area and if you are around, available and not completely overwhelmed with Christmas, I wanna go on a run with you!