Worst advice you've seen on these boards

Options

Replies

• Ajbays10
    Ajbays10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly!

Well usually because you start with the weight you can lift, and then move up as you gain more strength. Three pounds is lighter than five, five is lighter than 10, etc. And the sky is blue. What the heck does this have to do with your very wrong assertion that 10 pounds of fat is heavier than 10 pounds of mucsle? 10 pounds is STILL 10 pounds.

Flyntiggr, if a person can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, then they should be able to pick up a 10lb dumbbell, right? After all 10lbs = 10lbs.

Some people that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper, can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell. To them the dumbbell is heavy.

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

I have been lifting copying paper for years. It was nothing for me, but I had to work my way up to 10lb weights.

Omg. Oh. My. God. Who brought a glass? No one? I'll be drinking my JD from the bottle.

Sounds good. i will have some of that also.

she was double fisting the reams!!! 2 @ a time. it makes so much sense now. all is right with my world again.

Im still confused lol...
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What happens when we get to 20 pages? Are we going to lose all of this? Please say no. I have got to see how it ends when I wake up in the morning.

Thread roll. The link to the new one will be at the bottom of page 20. Have no fear!

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I can go to sleep peacefully tonight! lol
    Have a good night all! Good Luck!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    i'll give this a stab...if i am in fact reading the question/information given correctly.

I lift weights. i started at 5 lb weights and they worked a-okay in the beginning. my muscles got stronger and the 5 lb weights no longer posed a challenge to my now stronger muscles. so i moved to 8 lb weights. same thing happened after a little while. it was not overnight, but after awhile, again, i moved to 10 lb weights. a little while later, here i am ready to move to 12 lb weights.

you didnt move up the weights ladder? does that mean you are not making progress?
    heres the answer to your last question, (no, i am not a personal trainer) weight lifters move up the "ladder" because they get stronger and the heavier weights pose more of a challenge to their muscles. thats the dumbed down version.

Bluevwgurl,

I want to say thank you, because you are understanding what I'm talking about.

Correct me if I am wrong, but before you have started lifting weights, you were able to pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper with ease right? But, you had to work your way up to lifting 10lb weights.

A lot of people on here are trying to make it seems as if I am stupid. That's why none of them could answer my question.

Yes, two things can weigh the same, but that doesn't mean that one will not be heavier than the next.

Everyone that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh the ream of paper to make sure it actually weighs 10lb? The standard weight of a ream of copy paper is 5lb......

Maybe that could be why it feels lighter?

*ducks and covers*

Also, a ream of paper is 500 sheets. So, a ream of copy paper will weigh less than a ream of cover stock, even tho they both have 500 sheets.

Maybe I shouldn't even mention this...nope, I have to.

oh. my. grief. :laugh: :laugh:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is happening.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Vote for Mayor McPanda!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What happens when we get to 20 pages? Are we going to lose all of this? Please say no. I have got to see how it ends when I wake up in the morning.

Thread roll. The link to the new one will be at the bottom of page 20. Have no fear!

I wish I could say the same.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    i'll give this a stab...if i am in fact reading the question/information given correctly.

I lift weights. i started at 5 lb weights and they worked a-okay in the beginning. my muscles got stronger and the 5 lb weights no longer posed a challenge to my now stronger muscles. so i moved to 8 lb weights. same thing happened after a little while. it was not overnight, but after awhile, again, i moved to 10 lb weights. a little while later, here i am ready to move to 12 lb weights.

you didnt move up the weights ladder? does that mean you are not making progress?
    heres the answer to your last question, (no, i am not a personal trainer) weight lifters move up the "ladder" because they get stronger and the heavier weights pose more of a challenge to their muscles. thats the dumbed down version.

Bluevwgurl,

Correct me if I am wrong, but before you have started lifting weights, you were able to pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper with ease right? But, you had to work your way up to lifting 10lb weights.

A lot of people on here are trying to make it seems as if I am stupid. That's why none of them could answer my question.

Yes, two things can weigh the same, but that doesn't mean that one will not be heavier than the next.

Everyone that can pick up a 10lb pack of copying paper can't pick up a 10lb dumbbell.

*facepalm*
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Bluevwgurl,

OMG! Not again!!! YES THEY CAN!
  • jesihovey
    jesihovey Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people on here are trying to make it seem as if I am stupid and they have to live with their opinion. But, I know that two things can weigh the same and one be heavier. Just like two people can weigh the same and one look smaller.

No. Let me put it this way: My best friend weighs the same as me. Let's say, 200lbs (haha I wish). I am 5'7" and she is 6'0". She is taller than me, but we weigh the same. Our *volume* is different.

Similarly, if you take two cups of the same volume (they can hold the same amount of liquid measured by fluid ounces, not weight) and fill one with water and one with lead, their sizes are the same but the cup with the lead will weigh more than the cup with water because lead is *more dense* than water. It means the atoms or matter that makes up the substance are more tightly bound together in the lead than in the water. When something is more dense than something else, it means you can fit more of it into a container than something not as dense. So, for instance, feathers are less dense than rice. It takes more feathers to equal a pound than it takes rice to equal a pound.

Just like my body is more dense than my friend's. We both have the same amount of matter, but mine is more tightly packed together because my frame is smaller and the matter doesn't have as much space to spread out.

Another way to think of this could be, let's say there are two rooms and each has 10 people. In one room, the 10 people are all engaged in a big, tight, group hug and in the other room they are spread out around the room, far away from each other, occupying the whole area. There are still 10 people in each room, but one of the groups takes up much less space. That group is more *dense* than the other group.

Something tells me I'll do okay in my Science for Elementary Teachers class this semester...

English-wise, weight and heaviness are synonyms, so they mean the same thing. 10lbs of anything will equal 10lbs. Certainly it may take less grains of rice to hit 10lbs than it would take individual feathers, but either way 10lbs=10lbs.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Physics is not wrong. One thing cannot physically be heavier than another if the mass of the two are the same!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Bluevwgurl,

Really? Seriously??
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    Pants! Have fun guys and gals!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

My dreams are going to be filled with reams of paper, dumbbells and bags of rice
  • teasie0616
    teasie0616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

You have said this several times tonight. Can you not see the lost logic?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

My dreams are going to be filled with reams of paper, dumbbells and bags of rice

and feathers and walls and jacked up sentences for me....oh, and no pants.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would like to say that I originally responded very nicely. When you were rude to me, I decided to be a little more blatantly honest in my response and not hold back so much. But, in no way was I trying to make you look stupid. I was honestly trying to answer your question, because I am smart enough to know the answer. Secondly, I do wish you the very best in your weight loss journey. Good luck. God speed.

Bry_all01, I apologize to you if it seem as if I was being rude to you. That wasn't my intention. I don't like or try to be rude to anyone. I'm an honest person and I like honest people.

I'm on a Fat loss journey. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

No. Let me put it this way: My best friend weighs the same as me. Let's say, 200lbs (haha I wish). I am 5'7" and she is 6'0". She is taller than me, but we weigh the same. Our *volume* is different.

Similarly, if you take two cups of the same volume (they can hold the same amount of liquid measured by fluid ounces, not weight) and fill one with water and one with lead, their sizes are the same but the cup with the lead will weigh more than the cup with water because lead is *more dense* than water. It means the atoms or matter that makes up the substance are more tightly bound together in the lead than in the water. When something is more dense than something else, it means you can fit more of it into a container than something not as dense. So, for instance, feathers are less dense than rice. It takes more feathers to equal a pound than it takes rice to equal a pound.

Just like my body is more dense than my friend's. We both have the same amount of matter, but mine is more tightly packed together because my frame is smaller and the matter doesn't have as much space to spread out.

Something tells me I'll do okay in my Science for Elementary Teachers class this semester...

English-wise, weight and heaviness are synonyms, so they mean the same thing. 10lbs of anything will equal 10lbs. Certainly it may take less grains of rice to hit 10lbs than it would take individual feathers, but either way 10lbs=10lbs.

We tried this on pages 8, 9, 10 and possibly 11.
  • laureneva15
    Options
    SQUIRREL!

BAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!