December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Monthly questions...

Who inspires me as a runner? The people who ran the ragnar race in "From Fat to Finish Line". I had given up on the thought of ever running again then watched that documentary. It made me realize that everyone starts somewhere and it inspired me to give it a try again.

Next year when you pop in here claiming your
    December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    I will have 1) run a 5k without stopping 2) completed a 10k 3) completed a half marathon 4) made new friends and had experiences doing something I never thought I would do
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks for the lotion and face tips!!!

If noone has suggested it yet, Aquaphor is fantastic for chronic dry skin. A little goes a long way.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I met my goal of running one mile nonstop on Sunday so, this week begins my next goal of running a 5k. I will be following the Hal Higdon 5k program and have a 5k scheduled for 1/13. I decided to be kind to myself and scheduled an indoor 5k since there is no telling what the temperature/road conditions in Maine will be in January! Here we go...

Far warning - Indoor 5ks are harder than outdoor ones, IME. I could not tell you why, maybe it is the gazillion laps you have to run (many indoor tracks will take 25-30 laps to do a 5k), maybe it is the lack of fresh air, or whatever. I dunno. I have just always found them harder than outside ones.

Not saying do not do it, but saying to be mentally prepared for it. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I met my goal of running one mile nonstop on Sunday so, this week begins my next goal of running a 5k. I will be following the Hal Higdon 5k program and have a 5k scheduled for 1/13. I decided to be kind to myself and scheduled an indoor 5k since there is no telling what the temperature/road conditions in Maine will be in January! Here we go...

Far warning - Indoor 5ks are harder than outdoor ones, IME. I could not tell you why, maybe it is the gazillion laps you have to run (many indoor tracks will take 25-30 laps to do a 5k), maybe it is the lack of fresh air, or whatever. I dunno. I have just always found them harder than outside ones.

Not saying do not do it, but saying to be mentally prepared for it. :)

outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track
    imo
  • debrakgoogins
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Far warning - Indoor 5ks are harder than outdoor ones, IME.

Thank you for the heads up. I have a year long membership to the facility that is having the race so I will have the opportunity to run on the track before the event. Hopefully, that will help. My biggest worry is being slow and in the way of other people because it is a track. Unlike a road race where they can go past me and be done with me, on a track they will have to keep passing me.
  • mbaker566
    Options

Thank you for the heads up. I have a year long membership to the facility that is having the race so I will have the opportunity to run on the track before the event. Hopefully, that will help. My biggest worry is being slow and in the way of other people because it is a track. Unlike a road race where they can go past me and be done with me, on a track they will have to keep passing me.

just keep to the outside and you'll be fine. faster people on the left (typically)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Key for track running when you are not running to win overall is to stay to the outside lanes. Let the faster runners have the inside lanes and pay attention to who is coming up behind you best you can. On an indoor track, the runners do 15-20 min 5ks will pass those doing 30-50min 5ks MANY times, at least 10.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thanks for the lotion and face tips!!! I took screenshots so i wont lose the info! I have some oil of Olay but my dd took it. I'll look at the clinique. I don't think I've ever used it. I love nutrigena (sp) products, but found out the euclyptis (sp) uh cmon, im in bed already, tired got my soft and warm kitty. Not looking it up.... Euclyptis irritated my skin. I use the hotel lotion on my face but its even drier in the morning.

Dh is being nice. I think hes stoked for Hawaii. Or is batshit taper crazy with his first full Saturday. Anyway, he'll buy me expensive lotion :wink:

@Elise4270 As a modern man hopefully I'm allowed to chime in on this topic :smiley:

I personally use cooking oils. A mix of extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil works best and is multi-purpose - add a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil to get your preferred scent. (I keep a few so mix and match according to mood/time of day)

Add a little water, and massage into skin as a great moisturiser.
    Add lemon juice for a facewash.
    Add good quality honey and some epsom (magnesium) salts for high quality exfoliant.
    Add chicken, seasoning and heat for great dinner!! (probably minus the essential oils though)

Even buying organic, it's much cheaper than buying dedicated products of similar quality, plus you can be a lot more confident about what you're actually putting into/onto your body.

Haha! I love this! My daughter uses coconut oil. I forgot that was even an option. Thanks!!!!
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track imo

Good Lord. I hate the treadmill. If running on a treadmill is better than something that is better than indoor running, I'm in trouble!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    outside is better than treadmill is better than an outdoor track is better than an indoor track imo

Good Lord. I hate the treadmill. If running on a treadmill is better than something that is better than indoor running, I'm in trouble!

i actually like the treadmill. i like to watch movies and run. preferably action movies like the latest marvel movie