WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Morning all,
    I have not been feeling great and yesterday started feeling really awful. But I'm better this morning. Don't know if it is allergies, a cold, or a reaction to the chilly weather (it's 31 here, feels like 27, high today 41). Maybe I have an allergy to cold weather! Yes, we get cold in Georgia! Bundle up Carol! Dahlonga will be beautiful!! Working from home today which means wearing sweats (yay!), but having to take the dog out in the cold (boo!). Really hoping I feel well enough to go to the gym later-I don't get my steps in working from home.
    Hope everyone has a beautiful day!
    Elizabeth GA
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Sue
    - that Christmas decor was magazine-worthy. I bought a poinsettia arrangement from Lowe's, and that's probably going to be the extent of it this year. Your sense of style is just amazing

Okie
    - sounds like fun...

Am working on a painting I promised my daughter. It will be my second truly original painting, not done at the direction (and/or design) of an instructor, but still imitative, as I'm pulling all kinds of images in that appeal, and attempting to put them together to try to get what I want. She wanted a painting of yellow rubber boots with a bouquet of flowers in them. That's what she's going to get, but I'm pretty sure her three-year-old could do a better job on it. And at least you would know a three-year-old painted it, so she would get a pass! :smiley: Ah well, as always, I'm my own worst critic. I haven't told her I'm working on it, so if it ends up inutterably awful, I can always pitch it.

As each layer gets put on the painting, I walk away to let it dry, and come back over to my keyboard, which will be all the colors of the rainbow if I'm not careful! :blush: It's just something to keep my mind busy while I wait on the exit interview at 4 p.m. my time, over the phone. Followed immediately by another meeting tying up the last loose ends on grants with both the CEO and the other Fund Development Manager.

And, if she agrees, tomorrow, which is technically my last day, I'll spend the afternoon an hour away from my house, at a training for my new job. While I don't actually start my job until Monday, they're moving the funding database to a new program, and this is the initial training. If it is humanly possible to be there, I will be--good way to continue bonding with my new team, and vital information. Well worth my time and gas to attend.

Off to put some more paint on canvas...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I realized I didn't include my monthly goals on my last post. So, for the month of December, I would like to 1) lose at least 2 pounds (ideally more, but I'm trying to be reasonable with the holidays coming up), 2) get back into the habit of weekly meal planning, and 3) get our finances/budget finalized for 2019. I've already started on the last one, just need to work in a few last things to make it all balance.

I just did an interesting calculation - I have approximately 2064 working days left before I can retire. Actually, I'm eligible on March 1, 2019 but financially it's not possible so I'm looking at March 1, 2027 as my target date. And it's technically less than 2064 since I didn't subtract out vacation/personal days (I get 22 vacation days and 3 personal days each year), and the calculation only deducts 1 day for Christmas whereas I get the whole week between Christmas and New Year's off. So it's probably closer to 1800 actual working days. For some reason that sounds much more doable to me than 8 years and 3 months.

Janet in eastern MO
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Santa the sailor is wonderful. I wish I had an ornament just like him. :bigsmile:

Rebecca: Your sisters look great. You seem to come from a whole family of pretty girls. Which one is troublesome? :huh:

SueBdew: Your decorations are wonderful! The tree is stunning and so is the fireplace. :star:

Machka: Your DH’s recovery person sounds like someone who is inexperienced and knows a load of buzzwords. What on earth could be better for legs than cycling and walking? :ohwell: We have a similar system for our terratrykes, but DH never uses his. :ohwell:

Okie: Your plans for the day sound like fun! :star:

Lisa: I hope your exit interview goes well and you get to a positive closure on the old job. :heart:

DH is grumpy today and I’m not sure why. I was up late watching the current episode of Outlander. I read every one of those books when they were first published and have been pleased with how well the production company has done with them. Casting has been brilliant, and the series does a good job of bringing life to the books.

I am hoping to go shopping at Costco today. There are a few items that are much less expensive there, and there are items there that aren’t available in local stores. Unfortunately, there is not a Costco close-by and it is a long drive. If we time it right, traffic is not horrible. If we go at the wrong time— :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Sue What a beautiful tree

Machka - your husband is so fortunate you are in his corner.

Rebecca - You sisters look happy

Katla - I read the first 7 books in the Outlander series and tried to watch the first couple episodes of the series. Jamie and Claire didn't live up to my imagined vision of them so I found it difficult. Maybe I need to give it another try.

I have just hired another staff member for the office here and have two more interviews tomorrow. i have been honest and up front will the staff I have hired explaining that there is work available right now through the end of December, but it might be sparse after the New Year. I am trying my best to leave on good terms so I can at least get a reference out of this company. If I have filled most of the shifts for the month that will go a long ways.

Lightly snowing again today here in Edmonton, hopefully it doesn't accumulate to a whole lot more. We aren't completely cleared from the weekend's fall yet.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Here at work and doing a bit of work.. will go home and relax and more nyquil tonight..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Allie - I am right there with you. I started feeling off late last week. It hasn't gotten any better. I am doing DayQuil during the day and NyQuil and Cough Medicine at night. If I am not better by Monday, I will go to the MD and get something to kick it before it turns in to bronchitis. As long as I am drugged, I don't feel too bad. It isn't helping that my friend I am staying with loves all things pine and I can't breathe with pine scents going on. I have unplugged the diffuser and automatic air freshener sprayers in my guest quarters so I have a bit of a pineish free area to retreat to. I hope you feel better soon!

Okie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Air freshner sprays and scented candles are horribly bad for you. Carcinogenic. They are one of the worst pollutants. I won't go anywhere near them since I watched a reputable TV programme about it.
    Did a BIG supermarket shop today. V expensive and the parking lot was horrendous. The traffic!!! I will never go at school finishing time again.
    Got the tree up. It's very artificial, but it was cheap. I'm sure it will be fine with decorations on.
    Also got DH to change the lampshade. 2 down 3 to go.
    My main achievement of the day was to move some of my boxes into the eaves. PROGRESS!!!!! :D I prefer to do it on my own because I am embarrassed about all the stuff I have kept. :embarassed: Letters from old boyfriends. etc. :o:/

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: Santa the sailor is wonderful. I wish I had an ornament just like him. :bigsmile:

Rebecca: Your sisters look great. You seem to come from a whole family of pretty girls. Which one is troublesome? :huh:

SueBdew: Your decorations are wonderful! The tree is stunning and so is the fireplace. :star:

Machka: Your DH’s recovery person sounds like someone who is inexperienced and knows a load of buzzwords. What on earth could be better for legs than cycling and walking? :ohwell: We have a similar system for our terratrykes, but DH never uses his. :ohwell:

Lisa: I hope your exit interview goes well and you get to a positive closure on the old job. :heart:

DH is grumpy today and I’m not sure why. I was up late watching the current episode of Outlander. I read every one of those books when they were first published and have been pleased with how well the production company has done with them. Casting has been brilliant, and the series does a good job of bringing life to the books.

I am hoping to go shopping at Costco today. There are a few items that are much less expensive there, and there are items there that aren’t available in local stores. Unfortunately, there is not a Costco close-by and it is a long drive. If we time it right, traffic is not horrible. If we go at the wrong time— :ohwell:

The tall one!😋
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Sue What a beautiful tree

Machka - your husband is so fortunate you are in his corner.

Rebecca - You sisters look happy

Katla - I read the first 7 books in the Outlander series and tried to watch the first couple episodes of the series. Jamie and Claire didn't live up to my imagined vision of them so I found it difficult. Maybe I need to give it another try.

I have just hired another staff member for the office here and have two more interviews tomorrow. i have been honest and up front will the staff I have hired explaining that there is work available right now through the end of December, but it might be sparse after the New Year. I am trying my best to leave on good terms so I can at least get a reference out of this company. If I have filled most of the shifts for the month that will go a long ways.

Lightly snowing again today here in Edmonton, hopefully it doesn't accumulate to a whole lot more. We aren't completely cleared from the weekend's fall yet.

Tracey in Edmonton

My eldest sisters smile is forced. She had told me it was uncomfortable.😬😬
    💗Rebecca
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Suebdew- Oooooh! Your home looks so beautiful! As much as I have fun decorating for the kids, I dream of a home where I can decorate for me. With pretty things at floor (child) level. Those lamp post displays are gorgeous! Your tree is too! I always like to look at other people's Christmas trees and think about what their ornaments might mean for them. I see you have a Mickey Mouse ornament front and center; is that from your recent trip to Disney? I also see that you have a few little bear (I think they are bears in Santa hats) ornaments near the bottom of your tree...were those made for you by children or grandchildren? <3 KJ
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    came home early was going to work until 6, but just dont have it in me , going to get some water and nyquil and watch some t.v.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Oooo
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Love the yellow wellies. I have brown Bogs. Just as well with all the mud here.

Ran errands and got groceries. DH has mouth sores so trying to find foods he can just swallow without chewing.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LISA love your painting

Kate UK <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Pip: You and Kirby are a gorgeous couple! :heart:

Heather: I agree with you on air freshener sprays being unhealthy. Scented candles are barely okay if they’re scented with vanilla and not too strong. :wink:

Rebecca: Your sisters look great. You seem to come from a whole family of pretty girls. Which one is troublesome? :huh: I almost think I’m happy that I’m an only child after I hear about your sister. :noway:

Snowflake: We don’t all enjoy the same things & that is perfectly okay. I read the first Outlander book when I checked it out at the Tualatin City Library more than 20 years ago. I later bought it, and I think I likely have all of them. Some of the situations were heart-breaking, but things eventually came out okay. I particularly enjoyed the American Revolution, and later taught the subject of the revolutionary war to my 8th grade students. I used the textbook for teaching, not historical fiction. :wink: I’ve only watched a couple of episodes of the TV series so far, and I am enjoying what I’ve seen.

Allie: I agree with Heather about the negative effects of air freshener sprays. They are often scented with things that are not especially healthful. Steam is good for a stuffy head, and we’ve always had a vaporizer available at our house. I hope you’re feeling better soon. Doctor Katla recommends rest, plenty of clear liquids, and marathon TV watching or book reading. Be well. :heart:

Pip: Santa the sailor is wonderful. I wish I had one just like him. :bigsmile:

SueBdew: Your decorations are wonderful! The tree is stunning and so is the fireplace.. :star:

Lisa: I hope your exit interview goes well and you get to have a positive closure on the old job. :heart:

DH is grumpy today and I’m not sure why. I was up late watching the current episode of Outlander. I read every one of those books when they were first published and have been pleased with how well the production company has done with them. Casting has been brilliant, and the series does a good job of bringing life to the books. It isn't always as I remember reading, but so far it is enjoyable entertainment.

We went shopping at Costco today. There are a few items that are much less expensive there, and there are items there that aren’t available in local stores. Unfortunately, there is not a Costco close-by, and it was a trek. I was largely disappointed in what was there because DH’s change in dietary requirements has caused us to stop using many things we once enjoyed. That is not their fault. I did find a new set of towels for the RV. They’re in the wash now. I put a favorite set of towels on the RV and want them back at home. When these are done washing and drying, I’ll take them out to the RV and trade.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: You and Kirby are a gorgeous couple! :heart:

Heather: I agree with you on air freshener sprays being unhealthy. Scented candles are barely okay if they’re scented with vanilla and not too strong. :wink:

Rebecca: Your sisters look great. You seem to come from a whole family of pretty girls. Which one is troublesome? :huh: I almost think I’m happy that I’m an only child after I hear about your sister. :noway:

Snowflake: We don’t all enjoy the same things & that is perfectly okay. I read the first Outlander book when I checked it out at the Tualatin City Library more than 20 years ago. I later bought it, and I think I likely have all of them. Some of the situations were heart-breaking, but things eventually came out okay. I particularly enjoyed the American Revolution, and later taught the subject of the revolutionary war to my 8th grade students. I used the textbook for teaching, not historical fiction. :wink: I’ve only watched a couple of episodes of the TV series so far, and I am enjoying what I’ve seen.

Allie: I agree with Heather about the negative effects of air freshener sprays. They are often scented with things that are not especially healthful. Steam is good for a stuffy head, and we’ve always had a vaporizer available at our house. I hope you’re feeling better soon. Doctor Katla recommends rest, plenty of clear liquids, and marathon TV watching or book reading. Be well. :heart:

Pip: Santa the sailor is wonderful. I wish I had one just like him. :bigsmile:

SueBdew: Your decorations are wonderful! The tree is stunning and so is the fireplace.. :star:

Lisa: I hope your exit interview goes well and you get to have a positive closure on the old job. :heart:

DH is grumpy today and I’m not sure why. I was up late watching the current episode of Outlander. I read every one of those books when they were first published and have been pleased with how well the production company has done with them. Casting has been brilliant, and the series does a good job of bringing life to the books. It isn't always as I remember reading, but so far it is enjoyable entertainment.

We went shopping at Costco today. There are a few items that are much less expensive there, and there are items there that aren’t available in local stores. Unfortunately, there is not a Costco close-by, and it was a trek. I was largely disappointed in what was there because DH’s change in dietary requirements has caused us to stop using many things we once enjoyed. That is not their fault. I did find a new set of towels for the RV. They’re in the wash now. I put a favorite set of towels on the RV and want them back at home. When these are done washing and drying, I’ll take them out to the RV and trade.

I will work on it