What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

That sounds like a biscuit.

No, there were eggs involved. That made it different than a biscuit.

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

That is a new thing to me!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I like the sugar crust on the coffee shop muffins as a confection but can do without the rest of it. As far as muffins that are reasonable to eat go, I like the simple Martha White apple cinnamon muffins; the envelope you add a half cup of milk to. Most people try too hard with muffins for my taste (other than the melted sugar crust :smiley: ).

See to me, that's not a muffin. That's... cake or something. A muffin (back when I still could have gluten) was a simple thing I made with butter and buttermilk and flour and a very small amount of sugar and was tasty in its simplicity. It was a vehicle for good jam or jelly. Strawberry or blackberry preferably.

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

The simple pouch mixes (like the Martha White apple cinnamon I like) don't look a lot different. They have the apple bits and in their picture they have the "standard" muffin top, but I make mini muffins and don't fill the cups too far up and they come out with more of that small cupcake shape.

51Eu10xGEdL.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

The simple pouch mixes (like the Martha White apple cinnamon I like) don't look a lot different. They have the apple bits and in their picture they have the "standard" muffin top, but I make mini muffins and don't fill the cups too far up and they come out with more of that small cupcake shape.

51Eu10xGEdL.jpg

They look like a very different texture than a pouch muffin mix to me, including the crusty outside.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Condiments are overrated. And the only reason for overrated rather than gross is because of BBQ sauce. BBQ sauce saves the entire grocery store isle.

Nothing is worse than wasting precious calories on a subpar dressing/condiment especially when it's over 100+ calories.

I don't mind the Bolthouse Farms Classic Ranch yogurt based dressing.

For some of my really massive salads I would usually put a frozen meal on top & minimal dressing.

Not gonna lie, a lot of my calories when I eat at CFA are from CFA sauce. I put sauce on EVERY. THING. I don’t even care if 280 calories are spent on that delicious nectar of The Lord!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    ,,,that butter is a must. It can be replaced, successfully. and not be missed. shhhhh no one can know this.
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    YES FINALLY 🙌🏼
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Oreo thins are better than the original.

• Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Coke/Pepsi is disgusting!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Where I'm from, biscuits are never sweetened. Neither is cornbread.

Did I just stumble on another unpopular opinion?

Not according to me. I 100% agree.

(and love both)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I think collard greens are delicious, whether cooked with bacon and tons of seasonings or straight out of a can.

I've never had canned greens (we had all sorts of other canned veg when I was a kid), but I adore collard greens, whether with bacon or other pork and cooked for a long time or vegetarian and quick cooked with onions and garlic or from an Ethiopian restaurant or so many other ways.

They are also amazing with ACV.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Also, cornbread should always be baked in cast iron and cut into wedges, as pictured. This ensures everyone gets an equal portion of the crispy sides. Squares (or whatever square shape you can get from a round pan) is not acceptable and may result in table fights :tongue:

cywo98ng77d2.jpg

Correct.
  • WestCoastCyclist
    WestCoastCyclist Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Back to breakfast cereal. Most of it is disgusting, especially with milk. There's a brief window of about 10 seconds after adding milk that Rice Crispies is okay. All Bran, with a sliced banana and milk (none of which I'm a fan of on their own) is good for two minutes. Just Right is a pleasant snack on it's own (dry).

Being an adult and eating what I want for breakfast is a beautiful thing. 95% of the time I have two boiled eggs, toast and butter.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Like this:

Buttermilk-01.jpg

That's what a standard home made muffin looks like. Milk or buttermilk, flour, eggs,melted butter or oil, sugar and some other stuff.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think collard greens are delicious, whether cooked with bacon and tons of seasonings or straight out of a can.

I've never had canned greens (we had all sorts of other canned veg when I was a kid), but I adore collard greens, whether with bacon or other pork and cooked for a long time or vegetarian and quick cooked with onions and garlic or from an Ethiopian restaurant or so many other ways.

I prefer lemon juice since I can't stand vinegar. I always prepare greens the same way... olive oil and garlic, a few red chili flakes, steam braise in the liquid still clinging to them from washing, then finish with lemon juice. Love collards.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    My husband makes peanut butter and bologna sandwiches.

Grits do not belong in fusion foods.

I will not eat chitterlings, maws, pig feet, pizelles, or chicken feet. I don't care what a local delicacy they are, no.

Poached or runny eggs are food poisoning in waiting to me. So is *gasp* rare steak.

Kale is delicious, except for kale chips. Those are just dead leaves.

My coworker the other day took American Cheese & put peanut butter on it. I was a bit horrified & intrigued :D.

I guess it could be like the cheese crackers with peanut butter in them

Oh, I like those a lot.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I prefer lemon juice since I can't stand vinegar. I always prepare greens the same way... olive oil and garlic, a few red chili flakes, steam braise in the liquid still clinging to them from washing, then finish with lemon juice. Love collards.

I also prefer lemon juice to vinegar for sour/tart notes. It took me a long time to figure out my dislike of certain foods was really the vinegar in them, and if that was replaced with lemon I liked them just fine.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick I can't even remember.... This is the thread where we were discussing the attributes of various biscuits, obviously. Where was the cookie thread? Was it the actual Oreo thread? @nutmegoreo - help! I've lost the soggy cookie exchange thread :disappointed:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick I can't even remember.... This is the thread where we were discussing the attributes of various biscuits, obviously. Where was the cookie thread? Was it the actual Oreo thread? @nutmegoreo - help! I've lost the soggy cookie exchange thread :disappointed:

That would be the "If it didn't have calories thread". Rough day for you. :heart: I'll send you some unlicked cookies.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Also, cornbread should always be baked in cast iron and cut into wedges, as pictured. This ensures everyone gets an equal portion of the crispy sides. Squares (or whatever square shape you can get from a round pan) is not acceptable and may result in table fights :tongue:

cywo98ng77d2.jpg

I love cornbread, but I have never actually tried it made in cast iron. I may be making that this weekend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I loooove vinegar!

I had no idea this was an unpopular opinion . . . I mean, aside from the "ACV benefits?" threads. ;)