December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Caseyloupuckett
    Caseyloupuckett Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    A question i do have for you guys. Since i use to be a runner. When i get the go ahead to start running should i start from thr beginning or should i push myself to do more?

Short answer - Do what your doctor says.

Longer answer - Start slow (if your doctor approves) and build slowly. Do not "push" yourself as you have some very real injuries that will need working through. Pushing hard now could make those worse and end your chances to run. Build slow and listen to your doctor and your body.

Okay i can do that. Lol i can be impatient sometimes bit i find pain is a very real motivator not to be foolish. And at least im finally done with PT and off any pain meds
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm new.

I use to run in high school. Havent ran in 10 years. That was also 107 pounds ago too.

So I want to start running. But i was in a car accident 3 months ago and its taken about that long for my to mostly heal my back up. Still is a little messed up but mostly better.

Also i have a hip injury from 9 years ago that gets aggravated when i walk more than a few miles and i dont know how its going to react when i do start to run

I'm waiting for my doctor to give me the go ahead.

Anyways for now im just walking as much as i can. Sometimes that 4000 steps and sometimes its 13000 steps and everythimg in between.

A question i do have for you guys. Since i use to be a runner. When i get the go ahead to start running should i start from thr beginning or should i push myself to do more?

What @PastorVincent said.

I've come back from injury several times. It can be hard to adjust to simply not being able to do what you remember doing, or being beat after running much less than a distance you remember running easily. If you're going to make a mistake, make it on the side of not doing as much as you can, not on the side of doing too much. There will be less couch time that way. Or so my experience says.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,032 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @rheddmobile I say go for it. Even if you only get to run a couple of the races, it's still not a horrible price per race.
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm new.

I use to run in high school. Havent ran in 10 years. That was also 107 pounds ago too.

So I want to start running. But i was in a car accident 3 months ago and its taken about that long for my to mostly heal my back up. Still is a little messed up but mostly better.

Also i have a hip injury from 9 years ago that gets aggravated when i walk more than a few miles and i dont know how its going to react when i do start to run

I'm waiting for my doctor to give me the go ahead.

Anyways for now im just walking as much as i can. Sometimes that 4000 steps and sometimes its 13000 steps and everythimg in between.

What @PastorVincent said.

I've come back from injury several times. It can be hard to adjust to simply not being able to do what you remember doing, or being beat after running much less than a distance you remember running easily. If you're going to make a mistake, make it on the side of not doing as much as you can, not on the side of doing too much. There will be less couch time that way. Or so my experience says.

Good to know thank you!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Happy belated @shanaber and @Scott6255 !

5 Frosty miles this morning at 28F. Didn't really feel like it was that cold once I got going but had frost on my hat when I got back to the start,lol. Doing well on lifting every other and running every other at this point, and I think that as daylight gets earlier it will be better.

On another note, one of the inmates at my jail mentioned to me at medication call, "So you work out in the mornings at the local wellness center..." Good thing I live a half hour away and have an alternate gym membership at the local Y in the city I live in. Will still drop in on random days for personal trainer but running/lifting in the town I work in is definitely out for now. :s

ACK! Definitely time to change your routine.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Options

Thank you!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

5 Frosty miles this morning at 28F. Didn't really feel like it was that cold once I got going but had frost on my hat when I got back to the start,lol. Doing well on lifting every other and running every other at this point, and I think that as daylight gets earlier it will be better.

On another note, one of the inmates at my jail mentioned to me at medication call, "So you work out in the mornings at the local wellness center..." Good thing I live a half hour away and have an alternate gym membership at the local Y in the city I live in. Will still drop in on random days for personal trainer but running/lifting in the town I work in is definitely out for now. :s

If that inmate is going to be released on parole, make sure you speak to the inmate's supervising parole officer about this.
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

If that inmate is going to be released on parole, make sure you speak to the inmate's supervising parole officer about this.

That sucks
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Short answer - Do what your doctor says.

Longer answer - Start slow (if your doctor approves) and build slowly. Do not "push" yourself as you have some very real injuries that will need working through. Pushing hard now could make those worse and end your chances to run. Build slow and listen to your doctor and your body.

Okay i can do that. Lol i can be impatient sometimes bit i find pain is a very real motivator not to be foolish. And at least im finally done with PT and off any pain meds

@Caseyloupuckett Good to hear! Being impatient and pushing hard may be how you got the injuries in the first place. :smile:

Now you're starting over, I recommend Couch to 5K. Zen Labs do a great C25K app.

Do a session 3 times per week - no more. Your muscles, tendons, and bones get stronger on the rest days.
  • anthonyvigilsatx
    anthonyvigilsatx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My December goal is 40 miles.... I work a lot of hours, so I have to run early morning, late nights and weekends. Already got 13.1 miles running the San Antonio Rock N Roll (Half) Marathon on Dec 2nd. I have two 5K's planned this month and some casual group runs at 4-6 miles each... Y'all add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Goals for December: 200 km (125 miles) of biking and 30 km (18.5 miles) of running.

12/04: bike 30 km (18.5 miles)
    12/05: bike 20 km (12 miles) + run 6 km (3.6 miles) in 37 mins
    12/06: bike 30 km (18.5 miles)

Total so far: 80 km (49 miles) of biking and 6 km (3.6 miles) of running. Hope for some running with hubs at the weekend. Keep your fingers crossed we can synchronize!
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Options
    12/2: 3 mi
    12/6: 1.55 mi

4.55/20 miles complete

Just a little over a mile and a half after work last night. It is supposed to rain and be cold all weekend, so I am expecting some ice, which is not the norm here in Ga, so we’ll see how it impacts my runs. Ideally, I’d like to get in 3-4 each day.

Great job! :)