Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't personally believe "anyone" can lose weight by counting their calories alone. That's my unpopular opinion.

There seems to be an assumption that everyone who wants to lose weight eats a nutritionally poor or unsatisfying diet or will struggle with hunger or doesn't cook or I'm not sure -- what changes do you think EVERYONE needs to make?

I'm wondering if he meant to say "everyone" instead of "anyone"?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I don't personally believe "anyone" can lose weight by counting their calories alone. That's my unpopular opinion.
    You know I don't disagree with this. Weight loss, gain or maintenance is always CICO. Calorie counting is but one of many tools in the tool bag to facilitate the process. That said, not everyone has the straight up willpower to do it. Some need other tools like IF, Keto, Low fat to get in and maintain a deficit...

Finally someone got what I was saying. Not everyone has the ability to lose weight by counting calories, logging, and continually maintaining a deficit.

Everyone else just took offense that they and many others have done it.

There are times when counting calories is torture for me, so in those instances I pull out a different tool to get me where I need to go. I get it my man...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    You know I don't disagree with this. Weight loss, gain or maintenance is always CICO. Calorie counting is but one of many tools in the tool bag to facilitate the process. That said, not everyone has the straight up willpower to do it. Some need other tools like IF, Keto, Low fat to get in and maintain a deficit...

Finally someone got what I was saying. Not everyone has the ability to lose weight by counting calories, logging, and continually maintaining a deficit.

But the weight loss still occurs because of the calorie deficit, whether a person counts calories or not. Eating plans like IF and keto are just different tools to accomplish that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say you can't lose weight if you don't count calories.

I don't believe he is arguing that...
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

But the weight loss still occurs because of the calorie deficit, whether a person counts calories or not. Eating plans like IF and keto are just different tools to accomplish that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say you can't lose weight if you don't count calories.

I don't believe he is arguing that...

Maybe not. He just mentioned "continually maintaining a deficit".
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Yeah, anyone can though. I mean, anyone mentally capable of doing the calculations and mentally capable of abiding by them. It may not be fun, it may not be pretty, but even someone whose basal metabolism is tiny, even someone with a deficient thyroid, even someone on medication which causes weight gain can eat less, create a deficit, and if there is a deficit, that person will lose weight.

In some cases a person may need to eat far less than the default calculations suggest to create a deficit, but there are no people who can magically survive without food. If there were, they would be signing them up for the trip to Mars - it would save NASA a whole heap of trouble!