The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 18....hard to believe

That's quite an accomplishment! Good on ya! Now try for another 18, or really... JUST TODAY. :wink:
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been posted before but it's a good thing to be reminded of i think
    6u2lqoqusinl.jpg

Yes, it was posted before and I responded much like I will again...

This is true for a lot of people. I have type 2 bipolar disorder. Medication helps, but not 100% of the time. There are times when it takes tremendous self control to not drink. When clinically depressed, trying to be cheery or changing your life will not make you better. If you want to make a depressed person angry, start telling them about all the good things in their life and tell them they should not be depressed. Mental illness is very real and a big driver in addiction. Some addicts do have to draw on inner strength to abstain and sometimes have to depend on others to help them. The misconception that my attitude is what makes me unhappy at times is one of my biggest pet peeves.

i'm sorry but i don't read it that way at all. it's just saying doing the same old things will get you the samel old things

I also took it to mean that a person has to change their "behavior." I also suffer from depression/PTSD not bipolar so I'm not saying that I know how you feel or understand your experience, but I do understand self medicating. Have done it my entire life with various substances. Drinking or using any other substance is only a symptom of the problem...it's what is driving a person's drinking that needs to be addressed. If it is a person's mental illness that is the driving force behind an addiction then that needs to be treated either through medication, therapy or both...but it is a lifestyle change not just a cessation of drinking that is key. And yes it does take a tremendous amount of self control to not drink....I am sorry that you are struggling with your mental health. I hope you have some good support that encourages you...I'm glad that you have found this thread so that we can be a positive in your life and I hope that you find what you need here to stay AF.... :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    lloydrt wrote: »
    . I think a DUI will cost the person pulled over about 9000.00 dollars , and they can lose their insure and spend a night in jail.

More like $20,000.00 in Canada...if you hire a lawyer. Huge insurance hike...in fact it automatically puts you in the high-risk category. It is a serious crime here. A former drinking buddy got her 2nd DUI in August & after 2 remands, ended up losing her licence for 3 years & received a hefty fine....she was fortunate that the lawyer on duty counsel took on her case...Her 1st DUI cost her $20k. She would have gone to jail this round, but got off because she's battling cancer. The laws in our country were just changed to increase the automatic jail sentence to 3 months for a 2nd DUI..plus increases in fines!! Nightmare!! She had JUST gotten her licence back in June & was pulled over with her 2 grandkids in the car. I am SO thankful I stopped drinking before I got caught...and like you said THAT is a huge benefit, not stressing about ride checks.

I remember the anxiety, the regrets, the waking in the wee hours beating myself up, & on & on & on...for so many things related to my drinking.

SO thankful for my AF life. Count my blessings for sure.... <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @RubyRed427 L <3 VE Mojitos!!! If you get the recipe pass it on please...lime & mint...who wouldn't love THAT??? ;)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Day 19 did!!!

and btw i am planning on dry January after dry December. it will be the first attempt at 2 months back to back...

Bravo!!!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Day 19 did!!!

and btw i am planning on dry January after dry December. it will be the first attempt at 2 months back to back...

YESS!!.. added company.. here we come.. :smiley:

Thanks that's cool as news!!..
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Day 19 did!!!

Sounds good to me!
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Confession :( I've let the team down
    I've stuffed up my streak. . I was cooking today and I got picking at the crumbs.. **coughcough** there were a few crumbs around.
    I made like rum balls but based on cadbury's chocolate Christmas cake recipe. Umm.. yea it has brandy in the recipe.
    I logged a 2 servings to cover my calories.
    Tomorrow a new day, day 1 again.. I cant say I've gone through this month AF.. :'(

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Confession :( I've let the team down
    I've stuffed up my streak. . I was cooking today and I got picking at the crumbs.. **coughcough** there were a few crumbs around.
    I made like rum balls but based on cadbury's chocolate Christmas cake recipe. Umm.. yea it has brandy in the recipe.
    I logged a 2 servings to cover my calories.
    Tomorrow a new day, day 1 again.. I cant say I've gone through this month AF.. :'(

It’s doubly hard to get through this month unscathed. Remember my near death hangover on Sunday? See , we are human and yet we rise again. Wake up tomorrow and forgive yourself. It’s a new day full of possibilities !