Whoa- I had no idea there were that many calories in X. Foods to avoid.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    So true, lol lk2hf7l1qwxl.png

I have never been a big fan of pasta and don't think it is worth the calories. The best part of the meal is the sauce and veggies!

Sometimes I have a craving for a huge bowl of pasta so I get the super low calorie 60 cal per 2oz one to satisfy that craving "to eat a huge plate of pasta" for <300 calories. (below) uaq61hzwyy9d.jpg

As a kid I used to have the 3+ serving portion of spaghetti, plus meatballs, and 2-3 dinner rolls with butter and parm cheese. Probably over 2000 calories easily. Amazing I was never overweight then lol.

It's all about the sauce, veggies, and meat for me! I will use sheritaki or veggie noodles. Could you send me a link to the 60 cal pasta or where I can get it in the states please.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ghin
    psychod787 wrote: »
    So true, lol lk2hf7l1qwxl.png

I have never been a big fan of pasta and don't think it is worth the calories. The best part of the meal is the sauce and veggies!

Sometimes I have a craving for a huge bowl of pasta so I get the super low calorie 60 cal per 2oz one to satisfy that craving "to eat a huge plate of pasta" for <300 calories. (below) uaq61hzwyy9d.jpg

As a kid I used to have the 3+ serving portion of spaghetti, plus meatballs, and 2-3 dinner rolls with butter and parm cheese. Probably over 2000 calories easily. Amazing I was never overweight then lol.

It's all about the sauce, veggies, and meat for me! I will use sheritaki or veggie noodles. Could you send me a link to the 60 cal pasta or where I can get it in the states please.

Thinslim foods pasta. They are crazy expensive though so I only buy once in awhile as a treat. Amazon carries as well as a few other websites. I hate that they rarely have free shipping. https://www.lindasdietdelites.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1233&gclid=CjwKCAiAu_LgBRBdEiwAkovNsP4A9TUHj9CXvE0Uh1tUciYkEoND2MhGebVSC1_ChbPvUYGj91KZ3xoCPFEQAvD_BwE
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Coconut. 1Tbs 210 calories. 21 gm carbs. 1/6 my calories and 1/5 my carbs. 90 gm sodium (I can only have 1500 due to Chronic kidney disease). And I just wanted a little nibble of something and didn’t check. Lesson learned

Wow, noted. Wouldn’t have guessed that.

• IsETHome
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    A big plate of pasta like one would get in an Italian restaurant has 400 calories. I don't think that's so bad. Add a tablespoon of butter, roasted garlic, some clam juice and a half dozen jumbo shrimp and you got 550 calories.

Lol 400 calories of pasta is definitely not 'a big plate'.

Wishful thinking lol
    That big plate of pasta from proper italian restaurant with sauce and all the trimmings you are most likely looking at 1500cal.

I started measuring pasta, and was also shocked. Basically 400 cals got me a small bowl with 1/4 cup sauce. Of course loaded with low cal capers and pepper. My old spaghetti nights were prob 2k cals.....before garlic bread. Can I find a time machine please.
  • tashameadows5388
    Options
    I had no idea of the total caloric contents of most of the food I ate😱. I have been reading labels, paying attention to ingredients, particularly sugar for a few years, but I have remained purposely ignorant on serving size and quantity throughout the day...I was annoyed when restaurants started posting calories on their menus.😜 I have only been counting calories since Monday, but based on what I’ve been tracking this week I was probably consuming on average 3000 calories per day with only moderate inconsistent workouts due to my health issues. I am not putting anything of limits, but at this time I’ve decide that a lot of foods just aren’t “worth it,” I’d prefer a meal over two cookies.
  • IsETHome
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I had no idea of the total caloric contents of most of the food I ate😱. I have been reading labels, paying attention to ingredients, particularly sugar for a few years, but I have remained purposely ignorant on serving size and quantity throughout the day...I was annoyed when restaurants started posting calories on their menus.😜 I have only been counting calories since Monday, but based on what I’ve been tracking this week I was probably consuming on average 3000 calories per day with only moderate inconsistent workouts due to my health issues. I am not putting anything of limits, but at this time I’ve decide that a lot of foods just aren’t “worth it,” I’d prefer a meal over two cookies.

yep, I’ve probably been doing similar 2500-3000 (previously). I’m almost hitting 40 days tracking , and 11 lbs down,

• IsETHome
    Options
    Pasta was honestly a "good" surprise for me, I find 2 oz to be a nice serving size and 3 oz is what I normally eat and that's great too. Fits into my calories very well and usually make a red sauce with very little olive oil in it.

A lot of people talk about pasta like it's the devil and I used to avoid it unnecessarily in years before using MFP! Same goes for rice. One serving is quite a lot of rice to me and I am not a super small portions type of person at all.

I’m only eating it once a week now. Hard for me to control those portions. 2 oz is a tease :)
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    if you only like the sauce in pasta, you can make zucchini noodles ? I use tomato pasta sauce on top with zucchini noodles, together with minced meat .
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Pasta was honestly a "good" surprise for me, I find 2 oz to be a nice serving size and 3 oz is what I normally eat and that's great too. Fits into my calories very well and usually make a red sauce with very little olive oil in it.

A lot of people talk about pasta like it's the devil and I used to avoid it unnecessarily in years before using MFP! Same goes for rice. One serving is quite a lot of rice to me and I am not a super small portions type of person at all.

People are often confused about this. 400 calories of pasta is 4oz dry. When cooked it is a lot more than 4oz. and every bit a restaurant portion. Some people don't actually weigh food and just guess at the results. Hence the fear about it.

3oz works for me too. And, I add seafood (shrimp, crab or lobster, and Better than Boullion Lobster Base. A tablespoon of butter at 100 calories, a cup os sauteed shallots and its a 550-600 calorie plate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I do 3oz typically too but that's still nowhere a restaurant portion, lol. And don't forget all the oil that is typically in sauces as well... But 2oz (that's around 120g cooked for me) is nowhere near enough unless I have a lot of other things on my plate.

But again, there are people who are apparently satisfied by kid meals at McDonald's...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    Back all the way to the original question, except with a twist.

What was my X? What foods was I at least somewhat ignorant of caloric density before I started logging? I used the USDA "Supertracker" site before it closed when I moved over to MFP. But I have two sets of answers.

Here's the first list that answers the original question:
    Steel cut oats, or rolled oats.
    Whole grain bread.
    Brown rice.
    Almonds
    All more than I would have expected beore I begain tracking calories. I think there's more I could add to this list.

What else was X?
    Donuts (sorry)
    Whole milk yogurt
    Blueberries and pears
    Sirloin
    Crab
    Oysters
    Beets
    All have LESS than I would have assumed!

Someone posted a spreadsheet here once that listed a whole crapton of foods and their caloric value and their protien value. You could sort the spreadsheet any way you liked and find a food that helped fill your macros within your calorie limit or give you enough calories if you were short on those. Like I EVER have that problem. Ha.
  • IsETHome
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Back all the way to the original question, except with a twist.

What was my X? What foods was I at least somewhat ignorant of caloric density before I started logging? I used the USDA "Supertracker" site before it closed when I moved over to MFP. But I have two sets of answers.

Here's the first list that answers the original question:
    Steel cut oats, or rolled oats.
    Whole grain bread.
    Brown rice.
    Almonds
    All more than I would have expected beore I begain tracking calories. I think there's more I could add to this list.

What else was X?
    Donuts (sorry)
    Whole milk yogurt
    Blueberries and pears
    Sirloin
    Crab
    Oysters
    Beets
    All have LESS than I would have assumed!

Someone posted a spreadsheet here once that listed a whole crapton of foods and their caloric value and their protien value. You could sort the spreadsheet any way you liked and find a food that helped fill your macros within your calorie limit or give you enough calories if you were short on those. Like I EVER have that problem. Ha.

Awesome!! That's a great idea. My whole milk yogurt, I only use now as a topping since it was 160 cals for a small container 1/2 cup I think - that did surprise me. I cook fresh beats and cube them, so maybe don't eat so much of them that they add up much. Oysters and Crab wow....hmm I'll have to look that up.