The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    @CarvedTones Happy Birthday! You made a lot of great strides this past year continuing your quest to be healthy overall.
    @chazbike9 Nice to hear from you. Congrats on 32 years! I can see great value in AA.
    @laurenq1991 Great post. Very insightful and inspiring !
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all! Lorraine,it's those rose colored glasses we put on sometimes when we think of drinking,only remembering the good or fun parts about it but forgetting the yuck stuff,which for me at this point it's all yuck stuff! A few hours MAYBE of what I was fantasizing about,the rest a mess,Carved Tones,fantastic work on all points! Happy Birthday B) Ruby,I've taken to watching General Hospital in the afternoon cuz it's on when I get off work(don't judge I'm embarrassed by it haha) but they drink a lot on that show and yeah sometimes I hanker for their bourbon or wine and those are defo nothing I ever drank either! Bought my daughter a bottle of chardonnay today for Christmas and it felt weird,I've never bought wine in my life so when they asked for ID I was like what for? Duh,stupid wine is alcohol,I only bought it for her cuz I found a cute little fur coat for a wine bottle and she's a "normal" drinker so I don't think it's that weird to buy it,,,is it? It's not anybody else's problem that I have a problem,,grr,now I question my decision to have bought it but I figure she'd be buying some anyway but I don't think I'll buy booze for anybody anymore anyways as it did make me a bit uncomfortable,hope everyone is sticking to their goals and enjoying their day <3
  • RubyRed427
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Orphia “Physically unwell, mentally unwell, spiritually unwell, socially unwell.” That is a good quote.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big drinker but I've been alcohol-free (and free of other drugs) since September 15.

........I've only found more reasons not to drink or do other drugs.. I still have just as fun of a time as my friends do.

I think it is wonderful that you have learned from others' train wrecks with booze rather than waiting till you have your own train wreck.

• lorrainequiche59
    Options
    @RubyRed427...yes, I certainly got the twinge being amongst all the booze the other day!! It's such a difficult time of year for sobriety as has been commented on in some of the posts & "heavy drinking" is accepted because of the availability of alcohol & the vibe this time of year. Like @Orphia commented the normal heavy drinkers blend in with everyone else who is heavy drinking because they can!! And all the ads... :s

@Orphia I loved the description you shared of being "drip fed" by the alcohol industry & their marketing puppets who are all raking in the $dough$ at the expense of everyone else's health....every aspect of our health!!

And as for the "wine snobs" ... I used to do wine/liquor tastings at various LCBOs in our area & when I got my info package with the description of the wine/liquor I was promoting, I couldn't bring myself to use the description they provided & pretend that I was some kind of expert...It was such baloney & yes, just because the description from the marketer, said "soft on the palate, with notes of cherry & chocolate...long, slow finish...BLAH BLAH BLAH...!!" doesn't mean squat when people would taste it...a "few" people actually seemed to be "refined" enough to taste what they were supposed to OR argue with what they were supposed to taste...anyway, it was interesting to read the comments from the Paris Wine Tasting.
  • lorrainequiche59
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Nearly succumbed to a sneaky shot from the liquor cabinet. @Orphia But I reminded myself that the “tomorrow you” would have been so disappointed. Made two pumpkin pies instead, wrapped gifts, and made some new ginger tea, Keep busy, my friends!!

YAY, You GO girl!! It really helps when we struggle together & are honest about the realities of our struggles good or not so great.... <3

@WhitPauly The rose-colored glasses really mess up our view of reality...like you said remembering the "yuk" is what is going to keep us AF & thankful to have way more moments of relief & thankfulness than we do of temptation or regret.

BTW I watch a Craig Beck video on Drinking & Christmas...worth the 18 mins to watch. ;)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @lorrainequiche59 You are so right. We have each other in this struggle; we have the comfort of knowing the people on this thread are trying their best to be the best person. To experience life without alcohol- it’s extremely helpful to come to the thread and read and learn and know, WE ARE NOT ALONE. Merry Christmas to you and yours! Xo
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thinking of u all... and I'm feeling simpathic for ones having a hard time. I'm still going but I'm with u in this..

Have a merry Christmas xo
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    This is a great group! I feel so lucky to have you all for support <3 hope everyone is having a wonderful AF Christmas Eve