JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    toaljasa wrote: »
    @mytime6630 This is for you! Operation Red Cup!!! (I've had to set my glass back on the counter :)
    0sb4b9xp2g85.png

Love this --- and this is exactly what my red cup looks like!!!

Do you guys still want monthly challenges??? I forgot about those ... let me know. Maybe Feb we can start back with the monthly challenges?
    Yes a challenge would be good🤗
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 This is for you! Operation Red Cup!!! (I've had to set my glass back on the counter :)
    0sb4b9xp2g85.png

Do you guys still want monthly challenges??? I forgot about those ... let me know. Maybe Feb we can start back with the monthly challenges?

I would love the monthly challenge again!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    meggers123 wrote: »
    Round 64 - my 1st Round

2019 GW: 65kg (~145lbs)

Female - 33- 5’5” (165cm)
    OSW: 82kg (180lbs)
    CW: 75.5kg (168lbs)
    UGW: 60-65kg (130-140lbs)

Day/Weight/Comment
    01/03 - 75.5kg
    01/04 -75kg
    01/05 -
    01/06 -
    01/07 -
    01/08 -
    01/09 -
    01/10 -
    01/11 -
    01/12 -

Today I was in a marketing training program from 9:00-5:00pm, so I didn’t snack 👍. I did have a non-diet organic soda, but just one and it fit my calories. After getting home, having some dinner (yay me for putting chicken in the crock pot this morning), and doing bath and bedtime with the boys, I am too tired to workout.
    Recap:
    +No bad snacking
    +AF (Alcohol free)
    +stayed under calories

-Didn’t Workout

I hope it was a "good tired" You did quite well. And yes, Yay for you for getting supper on before you left. It's always so helpful and so pleasant to walk in the door with the aroma of dinner. It's almost as if you have hired help!!! Peace and joy! Onward!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @mytime6630 Yes, please! Monthly challenges are good!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the monthly challenges even if I don't always remember to do them ;)

@Snowflake1968 - One thing I like about digital games is that they can give immediate feedback to the user. And specific, clear, rapid feedback is incredibly helpful for learners. But especially at the high school level, where a single teacher may have over 150 students, it's nearly impossible to evaluate and return student work quickly. So incorporating practice and review using software could be very helpful.

I've seen examples of infographic-style syllabi around, so I made one for my new class last night. I'm RIDICULOUSLY proud of it. And then this morning I woke up with an idea I'm really excited about. I call it "BATTLE OF THE GODS." ;D
    7udpctqbq8j9.png

(Identifying info deleted - I don't *think* it's a student privacy violation, but I'd rather be safe!)

BATTLE OF THE GODS

I woke up an hour before the alarm with an idea for an assessment for the freshman mythology unit - creating D&D-lite versions of the Greek gods. They'll be in groups, and each member of the group must choose a different deity. I may give each group a city-state name: Athens, Thebes, Sparta, Corinth, Argos, Delphi, Rhodes, though I won't require them to limit themselves to the patrons of their city. 

We'll use the base D&D stats - Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma, Wisdom, Intelligence - and I'm thinking of giving them 100 points to spend among them, capping each stat from 10-20. 

Then, they will create battle abilities - up to 3 each of attack or defense. The catch is that each ability MUST rely on a different base stat, and they may not use Constitution as a base stat (Constitution score = health). So they might have 3 attacks (str, dex, wis) and 2 defenses (int, cha). Additionally, ALL abilities must show an understanding of that character. So, for example, Thor might attack with his hammer (str) but also be able to use it to block (dex). Loki, on the other hand, might use his silver tongue to cause his opponents to doubt themselves (cha).

Then? BATTLE! I'll have a d20 for each group, and they'll roll for initiative. The highest two scores pair up first, then the next highest, etc. If the lowest score does not have a partner, they get a bye to the next round.

Each round, the combatants roll for initiative, and the lower roll must declare their action first, but the higher roll acts first. To act, the player rolls the d20 and compares the number to the base stat for the ability they chose: lower or equal to is a success, higher is a failure (so higher stats are better). 

A failed attack does no damage.
    A successful attack against no defense does 8 points of damage.
    A successful attack against a failed defense does 4 points of damage.
    A successful attack against a successful defense does no damage.

All abilities have a "cool-down" - each must be used before any ability can be re-used.

Damage is subtracted from the Constitution score. When a character is dealt more damage than the Constitution points remaining, that character is DEFEATED - whether they're unconscious, injured, or too discouraged to continue (etc.) is up to the player.

Wow, that ended up getting kind of long, hahaha! But I'm really pleased with the idea. I may have to playtest it with my husband to make sure that combat can be done quickly and smoothly.
  • UTMom81
    UTMom81 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    JFT goals for Thursday (1/3)--Recap
    1. Stay in the green. :)
    2. Drink 10 cups of water. :)
    3. Increase my protein and vegetable intake. :)
    4. Get in a bike ride. >:)
    5. Go for a walk. :)
    6. Eat only while sitting down. >:) Went to Costco, and there were, of course, samples.
    7. No alcohol. :)
    8. Do some photography or some photo edits. :)

JFT goals for Friday (1/4)
    1. Stay in the green.
    2. Drink 10 cups of water.
    3. Consciously work to get in extra protein and veggies.
    4. Get in a bike ride.
    5. Go for a walk.
    6. Eat only while sitting down.
    7. No alcohol.
    8. Arms workout.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the monthly challenges even if I don't always remember to do them ;)

@Snowflake1968 - One thing I like about digital games is that they can give immediate feedback to the user. And specific, clear, rapid feedback is incredibly helpful for learners. But especially at the high school level, where a single teacher may have over 150 students, it's nearly impossible to evaluate and return student work quickly. So incorporating practice and review using software could be very helpful.

I've seen examples of infographic-style syllabi around, so I made one for my new class last night. I'm RIDICULOUSLY proud of it. And then this morning I woke up with an idea I'm really excited about. I call it "BATTLE OF THE GODS." ;D
    7udpctqbq8j9.png

(Identifying info deleted - I don't *think* it's a student privacy violation, but I'd rather be safe!)

BATTLE OF THE GODS

I woke up an hour before the alarm with an idea for an assessment for the freshman mythology unit - creating D&D-lite versions of the Greek gods. They'll be in groups, and each member of the group must choose a different deity. I may give each group a city-state name: Athens, Thebes, Sparta, Corinth, Argos, Delphi, Rhodes, though I won't require them to limit themselves to the patrons of their city. 

We'll use the base D&D stats - Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma, Wisdom, Intelligence - and I'm thinking of giving them 100 points to spend among them, capping each stat from 10-20. 

Then, they will create battle abilities - up to 3 each of attack or defense. The catch is that each ability MUST rely on a different base stat, and they may not use Constitution as a base stat (Constitution score = health). So they might have 3 attacks (str, dex, wis) and 2 defenses (int, cha). Additionally, ALL abilities must show an understanding of that character. So, for example, Thor might attack with his hammer (str) but also be able to use it to block (dex). Loki, on the other hand, might use his silver tongue to cause his opponents to doubt themselves (cha).

Then? BATTLE! I'll have a d20 for each group, and they'll roll for initiative. The highest two scores pair up first, then the next highest, etc. If the lowest score does not have a partner, they get a bye to the next round.

Each round, the combatants roll for initiative, and the lower roll must declare their action first, but the higher roll acts first. To act, the player rolls the d20 and compares the number to the base stat for the ability they chose: lower or equal to is a success, higher is a failure (so higher stats are better). 

A failed attack does no damage.
    A successful attack against no defense does 8 points of damage.
    A successful attack against a failed defense does 4 points of damage.
    A successful attack against a successful defense does no damage.

All abilities have a "cool-down" - each must be used before any ability can be re-used.

Damage is subtracted from the Constitution score. When a character is dealt more damage than the Constitution points remaining, that character is DEFEATED - whether they're unconscious, injured, or too discouraged to continue (etc.) is up to the player.

Wow, that ended up getting kind of long, hahaha! But I'm really pleased with the idea. I may have to playtest it with my husband to make sure that combat can be done quickly and smoothly.

I think that is awesome!!!!! My Son in Law plays D&D so does my daughter and Jonah was very quick to tell me on Christmas Day that he finally has a set of dice of his own. He has been really practicing his reading so he can play with Dad. I think his interest in math is also planted in D&D. My personal thought is “whatever works” I quit school between grade 10 and 11 and truly believe if they had made it interesting and maybe challenged me once in a while I would have stayed. I have since received my Grade 12 and attended a one year technical course in computer operations.
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    January 3rd:
    -Get to the gym 👍
    -Walk 30 mins 👍
    -Stay in the green 👍

Didn't get as much done around the house as I wanted to, but it was a really nice day so I don't mind too much.

January 4th:
    -Get to the gym
    -Walk 30 mins
    -Stay in the green
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well, got busy and forgot about checking -in ladt eve to post and put goal gouge next day. I did it - used stairs all day! Tomorrow I will limit myself to one cocktail. I tend to have 2 on Friday eve.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JFT 1-3-19

1. Log everything I eat. :)
    2. Gym after work for a walk or bike ride for at least 20 minutes. :|
    3. Do laundry. :)
    4. Get a new load of dishes in the dishwasher. :)
    5. Start a new beading project! :)

Not bad for my first day? Apparently the work stomach bug has decided to attack me with a vengeance so going to the gym did not happen. I actually took a nap when I got home because I felt so bad! Tomorrow is a new day and I'm hoping this will pass by then.

JFT 1-4-19

1. Log everything I eat.
    2. Keep up on my fitness journal.
    3. Walk at lunch.
    4. Go to bed before midnight.
    5. Be kind to myself.
    6. Cut out pieces for my mother's quilt.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. Check in with gastro. Input grades and add points; create spreadsheet. Check on IXL account with math dept. Write another blog post.
    3. English II: Set up computer days. Check on Plex. Need to practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Need to practice title capitalization and major/minor title formatting. Need to practice S/V agreement with there is / there are. List of Caesar vocab. Check on syllabus, standards, other supplies.
    4. English I: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles), as well as major vs minor titles. Draft "Battle of the Gods" assignment. Pick up syllabus from printer.
    5. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    6. Download class website notes and add to draft. Plan article on building up to public speaking for EJ.
    7. Zumba 5:30. Set up the new credit card at the Y. Go to library and pick up book on hold. Cookbook? Finish Testosterone Rex.
    8. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Update Goodreads tomorrow.

JFT Friday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Send D to library to pick up book on hold.
    2. Head to tech fair. Check on IXL account with math dept. Plan assessments for unit 1. Set up class website for E2. Update Goodreads. Duo. Type Unit 1 plans. CALL S1 PARENTS.
    3. English II: Print syllabus. Copy survey. Need to practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Need to practice title capitalization and major/minor title formatting. Need to practice S/V agreement with there is / there are. List of Caesar vocab. Check on syllabus, standards, other supplies.
    4. English I: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles), as well as major vs minor titles.
    5. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    6. Write blog post. Lang8 journal entry. Pay for new term. Plan article on building up to public speaking for EJ.
    7. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00. Set up new credit card at Y tomorrow.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 187.6

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Gifts for dad and DH - look for licorice puffs (Dollar Tree), cookbook. Fix laptop bag. Find a recipe for squash soup that looks good.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

Waited and waited and WAITED at the doctor's office but got a good report even though my foot isn't 100% better. They're going to keep the case open and have me check back in after a few more weeks. I'm good to keep exercising. (Yay.)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    0sb4b9xp2g85.png

Yes a challenge would be good🤗

I agree with the monthly challenges!!
  • dblst10
    dblst10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HI GROUP: what a nice bunch of people.
    My goals this year are to keep logging in MFP and stay away from sugar!
    Just for today: eat banana dipped in plain cinnamon to keep my sweet tooth at bay. I have a few pounds left go go!
    I'd also like to learn how to get around the groups/friends/etc in MFP which seem a little confusing but is such an exciting idea!-dblst10
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Had another good day yesterday. Survived the ex MIL visit with no upsets and we had a nice morning with her so duty there is done! Older daughter then had a play date so I hung out with the little one and then did more sorting/decluttering etc round the house. Just got older daughter’s clothes and books/toys to sort through today but that should only take an hour or so. Feels so good knowing that I’m going back to work on Monday with a completely organised house, freezer full of homemade food and laundry all done.
    @mytime6630 - def in for a monthly challenge x

Thursday goals recap
    - morning workout ✅
    - Trip to shopping centre with kids and MIL ✅
    - Get eyebrows threaded ✅
    - Make healthy choices - stay mindful ✅
    - Re-read 2019 goals ✅
    - Keep up the focus on water ❎ but lots of low/no cal fluids so not all bad
    - Jetwash patio and front steps?? Weather forecast v v cold but dry...❎ but did some major decluttering indoors instead 😄
    - Early night ❎ but had a much needed catch up call with my sister

Friday goals
    - morning workout
    - Finish laundry
    - Older daughter’s room
    - Take clothes to charity shop/recycling bank
    - Walk/jog with the kids
    - Kids pack for weekend with their dad
    - Wash kids hair
    - Tan/pamper session
    - Online grocery shop
    - Stay mindful in the evening - re-read 2019 goals
    - Early night

Happy Friday everyone x
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    JFT 1/3
    1. IF/keto eating 😊
    2. Coffee ☕️, 🍵 & H20 during my fasting times smile 😊
    3. Sugar free smile 😊
    4. at least 11/8oz cups h20 😊
    5. Stay within my 3 hr eating window smiles
    6. Walk at least 45 min 😊
    7. 60 min yoga 🧘‍♀️ & meditation 🧘‍♂️ smile 😊
    8. Take son to DMV to get permit smile 😊
    9. Start reading The stressless brain 😡
  • murdog3t
    murdog3t Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    JFT 1/4
    1. IF/keto eating
    2. Coffee ☕️, 🍵 & H20 during my fasting times smile
    3. Sugar free
    4. at least 11/8oz cups h20
    5. Stay within my 3 hr eating window
    6. Walk at least 45 min
    7. 60 min yoga 🧘‍♀️ & meditation 🧘‍♂️ smile
    8. Start reading The stressless brain
    9. Watch sons basketball 🏀 game
    10. PT in the Am
    11. Up by 0700
    12. Bed by 2200
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    6. Cut out pieces for my mother's quilt.

Oh ... another quilter??? :)