Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Omg all the piiieee....

Thou shalt not be wasted lol...

I haven't weighed in a few weeks and not planning on it until after the new year...

I'm doing my best to just accept any weight I may gain... Chalk it up to mostly water and glycogen in the muscles with some (hopefully not too much) fat...
    And go from there
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I spent 4 months doing a lean bulk. I put on 6.5 pounds, I'm only 5'2" with a small frame so trust me it's enough. Should I expect it to take just as long to cut? My goal is to get back to my starting weight but with a lower body fat percentage.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I spent 4 months doing a lean bulk. I put on 6.5 pounds, I'm only 5'2" with a small frame so trust me it's enough. Should I expect it to take just as long to cut? My goal is to get back to my starting weight but with a lower body fat percentage.

Typically it will be around half the time of a bulk. But it depends on how fast or slow you cut.
  • sardelsa
    I'm done bulking, 17 pounds up and feeling quite large all round. Currently on 2200 cals, lifting 4 days a week on an upper/lower split.

Do I drop cals by 100, bit at a time and keep lifting the same routine but with added cardio afterwards?

You can do whatever feels right. I usually spend some time at maintenance to let my hunger level out and make sure I won't be overshooting my deficit. I will first cut the cals then slowly add cardio back in as necessary. See what works best for you.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I hope everyone is having a good start to 2019. Back to the office starting today after working from home with the baby since his arrival. I'd be lying if I said getting back to a routine with a little more structure isn't nice, don't tell the Mrs., who I know is anxious to be flying solo (ish, both our mothers are nearby and can be called for backup most days).

Decided to make a program change; been running a PHUL base for a while and it was getting stale. Squat volume was starting to feel a little high as I kept adding a 5th full-body day. Started a 6-day PPL I found on reddit on Monday. It lacked any prescribed periodization so I'll be incorporating a 4-week cycle I read in an interview with the guy who trained Hugh Jackman for his Wolverine roles, of which I'm liking the first week's ranges so far.

I've been averaging right around maintenance cals (or more on some days, plus higher-than-normal carbs and sodium) so my weight is hanging out around 175.5 lbs. Coincidentally, that's nearly identical to my weight at the start of last year but I feel like I'm happier with the mirror than I was then. Looking to get back to cutting (again? still?) and get my body fat percentage down and finally do a properly executed bulk. My last skulpt scan on 12/15 was 12.2%. Last January went well on the scale, hoping I can do the same this year and best my 2018 low weight of 170.0 lbs.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    My slow recompbulk has added 6.6lbs last year. I'm looking to shed at least half of that. Hopefully it won't take long. I was going to jump right in in January, but I just started HRT and I think I'm going to give it a month just for grins to see how it affects my weight without changing anything else. I'm already much less bloated in my lower belly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    I am jumping back on track. Started a week ago at 184.8 (up from my low at 173) and currently sitting at 181.8, which is largely water/glycogen depletion. I did a reprogramming of my workout to add a bit more volume, complexity and a variety of sets (super, giant, drop, burnout) as opposed to all single/super sets. Overall, over the past year, my lifts have significantly improved but I still think there is a good amount of room left to improve.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Too much bulking over Christmas, and now I've got to cut to make weight for my next comp. I can't seem to get my head in the right place to actually eat in a deficit. Urgh.
  • steveko89
    Too much bulking over Christmas, and now I've got to cut to make weight for my next comp. I can't seem to get my head in the right place to actually eat in a deficit. Urgh.

You're certainly not alone there. On page 1 of this thread back in April I posted that I had hit 177 and wanted to get cut down to get lean enough for a true bulk... scale this morning: 177. I never once dropped below 170 at any point last year, and I need to get down closer to 165 to be lean enough for a true bulk. However, I have a single solitary weekly calorie average below maintenance since the middle of October... how am I still so bad at this?
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I'm having a hard time not participating in mindless snacking.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member

Ha! I wish it was just over Christmas...I did not intentionally gain weight but I have been in a IDGAF mood since before Halloween. I am about 6 pounds up. I was looking in the mirror a few days ago and it looks like I have had some growth in my traps. I also looked in the mirror and noticed my thighs...that was enough motivation to start cutting again.

@mom23mangos I can't imagine that your body fat has really gone up. If you are gaining half a pound a month I would think known of that would be fat. Did you have it tested recently? I know that you have posted test results in the past.
  • sardelsa
    Sounds like you are all doing well and ready to rock 2019. :)

I am no longer cutting but trying to get my head back in the game and focus on new goals after being a bit off track with the holidays!
  • psuLemon
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Sounds like you are all doing well and ready to rock 2019. :)

I am no longer cutting but trying to get my head back in the game and focus on new goals after being a bit off track with the holidays!

Hey, I saw this video and thought you might like it. It's long but very interesting. I suspect you know that Bret is coming out with another workout program?

https://youtu.be/92pQFyQnJsw
  • sardelsa
    Thanks @psuLemon I actually started watching but only got about half-way through and forgot about it! He has a new program called Booty by Bret, not sure if that's the one you are talking about or he is coming out with another one? Anyhow right now it's not in my budget, but I think for my next bulk in 2020 I will look into it :)
  • psuLemon
    Thanks @psuLemon I actually started watching but only got about half-way through and forgot about it! He has a new program called Booty by Bret, not sure if that's the one you are talking about or he is coming out with another one? Anyhow right now it's not in my budget, but I think for my next bulk in 2020 I will look into it :)

Booty sounds right. It was a quick reference and since I don't focus on my booty, I didn't decide to write it down.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »

Ha! I wish it was just over Christmas...I did not intentionally gain weight but I have been in a IDGAF mood since before Halloween. I am about 6 pounds up. I was looking in the mirror a few days ago and it looks like I have had some growth in my traps. I also looked in the mirror and noticed my thighs...that was enough motivation to start cutting again.

@mom23mangos I can't imagine that your body fat has really gone up. If you are gaining half a pound a month I would think known of that would be fat. Did you have it tested recently? I know that you have posted test results in the past.

The last couple of lbs were holiday fluff. I don't think I have much to drop. 2-3lbs. But I've debated about trying to go a little lower to attempt to see some leg definition for the first time in my life. I'm just skeptical I could get there without leaning out too much up top. I haven't had another body composition scan since the first. I've just used progress pics to help determine where I'm at.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

You're certainly not alone there. On page 1 of this thread back in April I posted that I had hit 177 and wanted to get cut down to get lean enough for a true bulk... scale this morning: 177. I never once dropped below 170 at any point last year, and I need to get down closer to 165 to be lean enough for a true bulk. However, I have a single solitary weekly calorie average below maintenance since the middle of October... how am I still so bad at this?

Ugh. Right?!?

192.6 this morning. Gotta be under 185 on Feb 16.
  • psuLemon
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I hope everyone is having a good start to 2019. Back to the office starting today after working from home with the baby since his arrival. I'd be lying if I said getting back to a routine with a little more structure isn't nice, don't tell the Mrs., who I know is anxious to be flying solo (ish, both our mothers are nearby and can be called for backup most days).

Decided to make a program change; been running a PHUL base for a while and it was getting stale. Squat volume was starting to feel a little high as I kept adding a 5th full-body day. Started a 6-day PPL I found on reddit on Monday. It lacked any prescribed periodization so I'll be incorporating a 4-week cycle I read in an interview with the guy who trained Hugh Jackman for his Wolverine roles, of which I'm liking the first week's ranges so far.

I've been averaging right around maintenance cals (or more on some days, plus higher-than-normal carbs and sodium) so my weight is hanging out around 175.5 lbs. Coincidentally, that's nearly identical to my weight at the start of last year but I feel like I'm happier with the mirror than I was then. Looking to get back to cutting (again? still?) and get my body fat percentage down and finally do a properly executed bulk. My last skulpt scan on 12/15 was 12.2%. Last January went well on the scale, hoping I can do the same this year and best my 2018 low weight of 170.0 lbs.

I feel your pain. It was easy for me to drop from 220 to 175 at 16%. And then it was impossible for me to get any leaner. And its been years. Its just been a constant battle for me to get lean enough to have anything but a small 4 pack.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon wrote: »

Booty sounds right. It was a quick reference and since I don't focus on my booty, I didn't decide to write it down.

@sardelsa and the ladies, i also meant to mention, if you dont follow Stephanie Buttmore, it might be worth it. She has a glute/lower body hypertrophy focused workout plan. A lot of her plans arw coordinated/co-designed with her boyfriend Jeff Nippard. She has a PhD in something related to women and hormones. So her advice and knowledge is very tailored.
  • steveko89

@sardelsa and the ladies, i also meant to mention, if you dont follow Stephanie Buttmore, it might be worth it. She has a glute/lower body hypertrophy focused workout plan. A lot of her plans arw coordinated/co-designed with her boyfriend Jeff Nippard. She has a PhD in something related to women and hormones. So her advice and knowledge is very tailored.

Lol, Buttmore? Ridiculously appropriate last name