Please take it easy on the "Resolutioners"

Options
124»

Replies

• MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is arguing that kindness and compassion are bad or that they shouldn't be demonstrated. The disagreement is whether or not specific shows of unkindness to "resolutioners" is as pervasive as some claim it is.

I think I agree, I don't really see a lot of outwards aggression or trolling against new folks in the gym. That being said, I won't lie, when I see some person going machine-to-machine-to-machine for 3 reps and really checking themselves out in the mirror as they lift a 15lb dumbbell then I do chuckle to myself on the inside a bit. Now when they do that crap and don't wipe off the equipment, THEN I might say "hey, don't forget to wipe down for the next person". But then again, a guy who goes to the gym 7 days a week and thinks it's cool to take a very loud speakerphone call in the weight room is going to be called out for his nonsense too. And the "show off" that has to practically scream as he lifts every single rep.... yea, he might need a little "any chance of that going down by 40db?" request too :smiley:.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Went to my gym this morning for the first time in 18 months. It was like a ghost town. I was expecting lots of resolutioners. Maybe they don't do 6am workouts???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    crimznrose wrote: »
    Went to my gym this morning for the first time in 18 months. It was like a ghost town. I was expecting lots of resolutioners. Maybe they don't do 6am workouts???

After traditional working hours is when it's the busiest, resolutiners or not.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of regulars at the gym are totally focused on whatever their particular agenda is for that day, accomplishing that, and leaving. Honestly, they are so absorbed in what they are doing they have neither the time, interest nor the inclination to disparage anyone else.

If any gym newbies are experiencing any kind of negativity, it's most likely due to one of two things:

1) Your gym is full to the brim with nasty people.

2) Your personal discomfort level of being in a new and somewhat intimidating environment where you naturally feel out-of-place and awkward to begin with is making you interpret even the most casual and unintentional glances in your direction as some kind of disapproval.

My money's on Door #2. ;)

So, if it is door #2, then if any of the gym regulars extended an olive branch or showed kindness towards them it probably would help the newbie feel more comfortable and at ease. Which was the intent of the OP, in my opinion. Why analyze the psychological makeup of a person when it would be as easy to say hi or show some kindness??? If a person feels a certain way then they do, a random compassionate stranger can make a huge difference.

Which is how this thread is derailed. It seems it is easier to say the newbie has insecurities and it is on them instead of showing kindness and have compassion for our fellow human.

I haven't read to the end of the thread so feel free to excuse this if you've already answered it, but how do you propose that one do this? Unless someone is making eye contact and smiling at me when I'm using an erg at the gym I go to, I don't assume they want to be acknowledged (and frankly, I don't really want to be acknowledged most of the time). If someone asks me a question, then sure I'll try to answer it graciously and accurately. But otherwise I'm not sure how one would go about welcoming people who appear to be newcomers. Never mind that, unless I catch someone out of the corner of my eye and I am worried about them physically hurting themselves or I just so happen to know them, I'm not focused on anyone other than myself.

Sure people shouldn't be mean, but I don't think that tends to happen - or rather I haven't seen it happen. If it does happen then the management need to know about it and do something. If it's a systemic issue, then change gyms.
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    The vast majority of regulars at the gym are totally focused on whatever their particular agenda is for that day, accomplishing that, and leaving. Honestly, they are so absorbed in what they are doing they have neither the time, interest nor the inclination to disparage anyone else.

If any gym newbies are experiencing any kind of negativity, it's most likely due to one of two things:

2) Your personal discomfort level of being in a new and somewhat intimidating environment where you naturally feel out-of-place and awkward to begin with is making you interpret even the most casual and unintentional glances in your direction as some kind of disapproval.

So, if it is door #2, then if any of the gym regulars extended an olive branch or showed kindness towards them it probably would help the newbie feel more comfortable and at ease. Which was the intent of the OP, in my opinion. Why analyze the psychological makeup of a person when it would be as easy to say hi or show some kindness??? If a person feels a certain way then they do, a random compassionate stranger can make a huge difference.

Which is how this thread is derailed. It seems it is easier to say the newbie has insecurities and it is on them instead of showing kindness and have compassion for our fellow human.

I haven't read to the end of the thread so feel free to excuse this if you've already answered it, but how do you propose that one do this? Unless someone is making eye contact and smiling at me when I'm using an erg at the gym I go to, I don't assume they want to be acknowledged (and frankly, I don't really want to be acknowledged most of the time). If someone asks me a question, then sure I'll try to answer it graciously and accurately. But otherwise I'm not sure how one would go about welcoming people who appear to be newcomers. Never mind that, unless I catch someone out of the corner of my eye and I am worried about them physically hurting themselves or I just so happen to know them, I'm not focused on anyone other than myself.

Sure people shouldn't be mean, but I don't think that tends to happen - or rather I haven't seen it happen. If it does happen then the management need to know about it and do something. If it's a systemic issue, then change gyms.

I treat people at the gym the way I like to be treated -- I mind my own business, wipe down equipment when I'm done, and refrain from making unnecessary noise. I don't want randos greeting me or "extending" anything to me, so I'm not going to do that to them.

Exactly - I suppose the one time when I'm especially judgy is when people don't wipe down equipment. But that's a sanitation issue, not a "this person is new" issue. Let's not pretend that there aren't seasoned gym goers who don't wipe down the equipment they just used. I really need to make a habit of wiping equipment down before and after I use it, but I use the ergs at my rowing club more than at the gym. There it's seriously frowned upon to not do so, thus I don't have to wipe it down beforehand and don't think about people not having done so on the occasions when I'm at my uni's gym.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I treat people at the gym the way I like to be treated -- I mind my own business, wipe down equipment when I'm done, and refrain from making unnecessary noise. I don't want randos greeting me or "extending" anything to me, so I'm not going to do that to them.

I think what you've expressed here represents the feelings of 99% of gym goers. I live in Mexico and it is a very friendly and social culture. Much more so than the U.S. and I still don't see this happening.

If I've had a reason to engage with someone, eg. alternated sets on a piece of equipment or something like that, I'll nod and say Hola in the future.I've gained a few buddies and a couple of friends this way. But I don't just smile or randomly talk to strangers. As I said in another post, that would be kinda creepy. Also, I can't tell if someone is a newbie or resolutioner not. How could I? The only thing I'm able to tell is that the gym is more crowded.
  • aokoye
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've been in and out of gyms much of my life...I've seen meanness/rudeness before, but it's not common and I've never seen it be a systemic issue.

I think it's pretty normal to be apprehensive about venturing into something new, and that apprehension can easily cause one's mind to see things that aren't really there.

Hell, anytime I've changed gyms I've been apprehensive and felt uncomfortable initially...brand new environment...new faces...you don't know who's who and what's what, etc. Anytime I've switched gyms, it's taken e a good month or so to really start feeling comfortable and get the lay of the land so to speak.

I'm in total agreement with the fact that a lot of people are apprehensive about new things or new environments. I know I am more often than not. I think that that apprehension can easily lead to feeling intimidated and/or things like, "rude stares" (I think that's more or less how it was termed earlier". Never mind, of course, that you can't feel someone staring at you or anyone else.

That, however, is fairly tangential from how to treat other people in the gym. The most welcoming environment in the world isn't going to stop people from being anxious about going there. I, as a member of a gym who goes on a semi regular basis and who rows indoors on a very regular basis, can recommended in the nicest way possible, that someone row with the damper not set at 10 because ergonomically it's just not appropriate for most situations, but that is a very face threatening act. The same would be true if I told someone where the spray bottles and wash clothes for wiping down equipment is. Unless someone asked me, it's face threatening. That's why I asked how @jimmyjbanks thinks one should go about doing this "showing kindness and compassion" for someone at the gym.

For me, focusing on no one other than myself (unless I'm working out with someone), following the rules, being relatively quiet (with regards to things like talking to someone loudly), and just not being mean fit the bill of showing kindness and compassion. That's how I hope most people will act in the gym, among other places.

The problem isn't me, nor is it people who do similar things. It's that people are scared, end up having some cognitive distortions, and for better or worse people validate those thoughts. Again, the fear and cognitive distortions are normal. That doesn't, however, mean that what's going on is actually happening - especially if someone hasn't even gone to a gym yet.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    xkmiqc3jdef9.jpg

I agree with this, and I have found this quote to be very much freeing:

%E2%99%82-black-and-white-graphic-quotes-deisgn-by-Eco-Gentleman-What-others-think-of-me-is-none-of-my-business.jpg