Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A nutritionist I really like (she's an RD and has an MS in Nutrition Biochemistry and Epidemiology, and she blogs and tweets under the name Nutrition Wonk), recently started a podcast where she and a partner (who is a PhD in Molecular Nutrition) discuss various popular diets and then try the diets for 2 weeks. They are currently doing paleo (I saw her tweets on it, which led me to the podcast), but the first one is keto, and I know another is DASH.

Introduction to the podcast, which is on iTunes, among other places: https://www.thenutritionwonk.com/single-post/2018/10/24/Introducing-N1-A-New-Nutrition-and-Diet-Podcast

I listened to the first episode on keto and thought it was excellent. (The second is where they discuss experiences on keto, the first is a discussion of current research on it, how it works, the various studies.)

Highly recommended!

If anyone else listens and likes the podcast, I'd be interested in starting a thread to react to the different episodes and the discussion, but in the meantime anyone interested in keto (for any reason), might want to check it out. I'll say it's very fair-minded/even-handed.

Relevant twitter:

https://twitter.com/NutritionWonk?lang=en

https://twitter.com/kcklatt?lang=en

I think this has the potential to be up there with Sigma Nutrition, which is probably my current favorite nutrition/fitness podcast. (I also really like FitCast, but that's not as nutrition focused.)

Thanks for this recommendation! They are very well versed in their subject matter and very engaging to listen to. I listened to both the keto podcasts. They did a great job of covering the claims, the science and then their individual experiences while doing it. Interesting that they both found it unsustainable and struggled with energy levels for exercise.

I just listened to the first two episodes. I liked that there was a lot of science, but it was accessible to me, a layperson. I liked that they mentioned a lot of studies and critiqued and complimented them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A nutritionist I really like (she's an RD and has an MS in Nutrition Biochemistry and Epidemiology, and she blogs and tweets under the name Nutrition Wonk), recently started a podcast where she and a partner (who is a PhD in Molecular Nutrition) discuss various popular diets and then try the diets for 2 weeks. They are currently doing paleo (I saw her tweets on it, which led me to the podcast), but the first one is keto, and I know another is DASH.

Introduction to the podcast, which is on iTunes, among other places: https://www.thenutritionwonk.com/single-post/2018/10/24/Introducing-N1-A-New-Nutrition-and-Diet-Podcast

I listened to the first episode on keto and thought it was excellent. (The second is where they discuss experiences on keto, the first is a discussion of current research on it, how it works, the various studies.)

Highly recommended!

If anyone else listens and likes the podcast, I'd be interested in starting a thread to react to the different episodes and the discussion, but in the meantime anyone interested in keto (for any reason), might want to check it out. I'll say it's very fair-minded/even-handed.

Relevant twitter:

https://twitter.com/NutritionWonk?lang=en

https://twitter.com/kcklatt?lang=en

I think this has the potential to be up there with Sigma Nutrition, which is probably my current favorite nutrition/fitness podcast. (I also really like FitCast, but that's not as nutrition focused.)

I'm trying to listen to it but her partner talks like such a valley girl that I am finding it hard to get through. He is is killing the word "like" with overuse. :(

I trust her take on things more so than him. He says he existed on "logs of mozzarella " for the two weeks he ate ketogenic. As a vegetarian, I don't think he ate a well formulated diet. I think most people who have success in the diet eat much better than him - no one wants to exist on mozzarella.... And then they excluded nuts because a Keto trial for diabetes treatment did...why?

I would like to know how much sodium they were eating. Both said they were eating adequate sodium but but had Keto flu which is just an electrolyte imbalance. Sounds like they needed more sodium. It may have been an impact on their energy levels too.

These were both young relatively healthy people. It was no surprise to me that the were not experiencing the benefits that people with IR would. They did not notice AI improvements in two weeks. That isn't surprising. Changes generally take longer, going GF did not touch my arthritis symptoms caused by celiac for months. improvements after just 2 weeks would be surprising.

As a celiac, their self consciousness towards eating different than everyone was immature - their perceived stress about it seemed extreme to me. Plus, as a ketoer, most are not eating all that differently unless the meal is very carb heavy.

I'm sure their experiences are not completely unique. Does their experience apply to others? Sure. Were their experiences a reflection of those who chose Keto, have success on it or enjoy it? No. Would I listen to them again? Probably not - her partner is not a good speaker.

Keven started with the intent of creating a nutritious, balanced diet, but found it too difficult as a vegetarian. His energy level decreased, and he found it easier to resort to logs of mozzarella than to put more work into it.

During this part of the discussion, he also complained about the cost. He was used $0.89 bag of lentils lasting him several meals, vs avocado on keto toast - the nut based flour is more expensive and he'd only get once serving of avocado for $1.29.

Re: sodium - Kevin said he was eating entire boxes of Parmesan crisps and that they were very high sodium. They mentioned keto flu, but I didn't get the impression that it impacted either of them much if at all. IIRC, they were discussing it more as a potential issue for other people new to keto.

Re: stress about eating differently - Katherine did not experience this at all. She simply told people that she was doing this for a podcast. I'm not sure how much Kevin was experiencing this personally or putting himself in the shoes of others. The silly "I have diarrhea" bit was a potential excuse someone who was not eating due to fasting could use, rather than having anything to do with keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One thing that stuck with me was that when Kevin had a bag of Brussels sprouts for breakfast and was dismayed to discover this used up 15 net carbs. He doesn't consider any diet (not medically necessary) that forces someone to limit Brussels sprouts to be sensible.

And thats Brussel sprouts without bacon even!
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    this is one topic that has so much debate. I haven't tried it because it leans toward fatty food and my triglycerides and cholesterol, don't need extra added to it. I read a lot of posting and didn't see anyone say how their blood work is turning out; for someone older, cholesterol is a concern.
    in my opinion, only
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    this is one topic that has so much debate. I haven't tried it because it leans toward fatty food and my triglycerides and cholesterol, don't need extra added to it. I read a lot of posting and didn't see anyone say how their blood work is turning out; for someone older, cholesterol is a concern.
    in my opinion, only

I can tell you for me I have Familial Hypercholesterolemia(FH-its genetic) and keto made my cholesterol even higher than it was not to mention it caused my health to decline while I did it. my blood work improved once I stopped doing it. I have to be on a low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet for my cholesterol. and I was reading how keto would improve my numbers and so on. it may for those that dont have my condition,but for those with the same condition the high fat is a NO NO. as for people with my condition we cannot process fats and cholesterol properly and our bodies make too much of those things as it is. but at the time I didnt know I had FH.

if you have high cholesterol and it runs in your family it would be a good idea to be tested for FH as it often goes undiagnosed and misdiagnosed as just regular high cholesterol. the difference for people with FH is eating a diet high in fats(any fats) can cause an increase in heart diasease as well as heart attacks,TIAs and strokes and we can also end up with type 2 if we dont watch what we eat. I also have to take meds as well as diet alone doesnt work for me trust me Ive tried.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    in my opinion, only

As a very general rule, for people without FH, triglycerides tend to drop, HDL tends to go up, and LDL usually strays about the same although ostriches particle size tends to improve when someone eats a ketogenic diet. Also, inflammatory markers usually drop, and insulin is reduced - all positives when it comes to CAD or CVD. Ymmv

Eating foods rich in cholesterol will not usually make your cholesterol worse.

But for older people, especially women, we know that higher cholesterol is associated with better health, lower CAD and All cause mortality. Lowering it may not be helpful in the long run anyways. ;)

Not sure how spell check got ostriches from particles. :D

I agree that weight loss and exercise will impact cholesterol as well, but I am not sure if it is the greatest impact, or even more than diet or genetic issues.

Find me a study with weight loss that doesn't improve metabolic markers. That information is pretty common. Its why all diets with weight loss lead to the conclusion you suggest for keto.

If you think the diet makes a big difference, watch the impact as you gain weight. And if you compare body low fat and low carb diets, there is no statistical difference in weight loss or metabolic marker difference to include insulin, cvd risk or all cause mortality.

I dont have any studies but I can share my experience. when I was first diagnosed I was at a healthy 140 lbs and I was really active back then. exercise alone and being at a healthy weight. as I gained weight it didnt change too much it wasnt much higher than it was when I was first diagnosed.years went on and it didnt get any worse but it didnt get any better either. I was on statins too and it made no difference.

I got off statins for a while and tried just diet and exericse. it lowered some but was still extremely high. then I lost the weight and it lowered some again but was still extremely high. I was put on a new kind of statin along with the low fat,low cholesterol high fiber diet. I was also weight lifting something I didnt do before. and I was able to get it down to normal numbers for the first time since I was diagnosed . But also what many dont know is that when you are losing weight and fat your cholesterol will go up because of whats stored in your bodyfat is released into the blood stream,but its usually only a short time. but thats just my experience
This discussion has been closed.