Anyone doing keto??

Options
2»

Replies

• saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    KipDrordy wrote: »
    I’ve seen what friends go through on Keto. It just isn’t a feasible diet for me. Any diet that requires me to jump through hoops to maintain is a recipe for failure for me. How do you folks do it?

The key is planning and prepping. You need to plan your meals and prep ahead of time. If you keep plenty of keto friendly foods on hand, you will succeed. The failure comes when you are starving, have no time to cook and have nothing prepared. With keto, you cook a lot so prep is very important. I prep on Sunday for the week. I've lost 50lbs in 4 months doing keto
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen what friends go through on Keto. It just isn’t a feasible diet for me. Any diet that requires me to jump through hoops to maintain is a recipe for failure for me. How do you folks do it?

My sister in law thrives on making complicated recipes, so keto varieties are better for her than her usual pastries.

My diet is about 80% simple keto: I eat meat, seafood, veg, nuts, and half servings of fruits and whole grains. Lots of cheese, cured meats, and raw veg on hand for quick snacks. I cook with oils and add guac to lots of things, but don't add fats for the sake of fats. However, I can't do this consistently, as it gives me the jitters, so I also have higher carb days a couple of times a week. I overstretched it this week because I know I am going out to eat tonight AND tomorrow, so I didn't sleep well last night despite a 4 mile walk after dinner:(
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I've wondered this too and am curious how many people keep at it long term (5+ years). There doesn't seem to be a lot of long term keto maintainers that participate in the NWCR but maybe I've missed it?
  • markdvsmo
    markdvsmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am five weeks in after a lifetime of obesity, chronic high blood pressure, one heart attack, countless failed calorie-reduction diets and a "prediabetic" label stuck on for good measure at my last doctor's appointment.

So far I'm down 27 lbs and BP's improved significantly. No keto flu for me, or trouble sticking to the diet. I do hobby/farmer's market gardening and am ordering up a bunch of asparagus crowns and strawberry plants so I'll be there when the rest of the world catches up. :)