January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    NYC Marathon registration site is stuck before I get the application submitted. Not terribly surprising, given when I'm on it.

@MobyCarp Its working now. I just submitted an application for the lottery.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My plan calls for a rest day today, but am not sure I am going to respect that yet... too sunny for that :smiley:

may I recommend the great british baking show
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    My plan calls for a rest day today, but am not sure I am going to respect that yet... too sunny for that :smiley:

may I recommend the great british baking show

If he's already posted that he's on the way out to run... :D

:lol: Still at my desk at work actually. Skimming posts while waiting on stuff and dealing with glare from the sun.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    For interested parties:

Applications for the NYC Marathon start tomorrow!

I am trying my luck at the lottery. The likelihood of me running a qualifying time in Miami is less than a snowballs chance in the 7th level of hell during a heat wave. LOL

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Actually, the time qualifying window for the 2019 NYC Marathon was calendar 2018. At this point, either you ran a qualifying time or you didn't. Either it was in one of the NYRR sanctioned races that have a guaranteed entry attached, or it was in a non-NYRR race and you're eligible for one of a "limited number" of slots for non-NYRR time qualifiers.

I know this off the top of my head because I time qualified for the 2019 NYC Marathon at the 2018 Boston Marathon, the 2018 Wineglass Marathon, and 3 of the 4 half marathons I ran in 2018. Plan A is to be on the site as soon as I can after it opens claiming qualification based on Wineglass. Then I see if I'm fast enough at the keyboard; if not, I get dumped into the lottery with everyone else.

Looks like 15% of the lottery entrants got lucky in 2018. I don't think I'm particularly lucky in games of pure chance; if anything, I'm less lucky than average.

@MobyCarp I did not come close to a qualified time in 2018 and I don’t anticipate coming close in 2019.

I am also not particularly lucky. Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)...

I grew up outside of NYC and would love to experience the city in that way. If it happens, wonderful. If it doesn’t, I will move onto the next bucket list race (without a qualifying time).

Good luck! I am sure you will kick major butt at the NYCM :smile:

A lady who works with my mum entered the lottery for Boston 2019 and got in! I'm unbelievably jealous. A kiwi running the BM on lottery!

No lottery for Boston is available to US citizens. OTOH, a Kiwi will have substantially larger travel costs to run Boston than I will.

You're going to hate this, but as a Kiwi, I can buy a marathon entry into Boston, NY, London, Paris, Berlin, any of them, no need for a qualifying time, just have to pay for the "tour" package - flights, 4 nights accommodation, and entry fee. Easy if you have the funds.

@avidkeo, go to http://www.marathontours.co.nz
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    January

1—-5.45
    5—7.5 for @KeepRunningFatboy
    6—6.25 Kīlauea volcano hike
    8—open water swim with @HonuNui
    9—5.5 walk
    10— 5.61 Waipio Valley hike
    11— travel
    12— sleep
    13— *kitten* cold 5.5

35.8/ 71 miles

Upcoming races
    🤙January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy ✔️
    March 31, 2019 A2A 5k. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon. half
    November 24, 2019 Route 66 half. Tulsa OK.
    Run the Year team A 400+ miles

Ya know.... I was thinkin’ on this run.... if we @shanaber, maybe @ddmom0811, @RunsOnEspresso and others that are or might be interested in running Hawai’i, the Kona marathon is in June. It’ll be hot enough swim with @HonuNui. A full, half, 10k and 5k are offered. Say 2020?

As DH would say, you never have to twist my arm to go to Hawaii. He does think I'm weird for wanting to go places and run though so that is the harder part.

Eh go to swim then 😜
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@Elise4270 I'm in for Hawaii in 2020! Just talked the wife into it...

14 days on the run and counting.

AAAAAAH! HAHA! YAY! Wonder if an air bnb would be cheaper.. think we could all put up with one another? I'm loving this. Jeez, i gotta get training!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    3 miles hardly seems worth the trouble. Just started feeling relaxed when I had to stop. But taper I must.

exercise.png

A semi-related running question: back in November I reserved a hotel room through the Houston marathon site, and requested late check-out, as I know I will getting back after normal checkout time (usually like 10am). Got a confirmation, but didn't see anything about late check-out. Kept trying to contact them to verify, but never got a response. Finally got through today and they said it had to be requested at check-in, and depends on availability. Uh, Ok.
    What am I supposed to do with all my luggage and crap if I have to check out at 5:30am on my way to the marathon? I won't have a car (specifically got the hotel because it is less than a mile from the start line). Anyone had to deal with that before?

I've not had to deal with this for a run, but I have when at conferences. Most hotels will have a luggage storage room and will hold your stuff for the day. The only thing you won't have is access to a shower!

Yeah, she is right. We have had to do this while traveling. Just explain the situation and they will usually be helpful. After all, they want you to come back and bring friends. :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary and @PastorVincent thanks! Haven't heard of that. That's good to know. Helpful as always!
    Thanks guys!!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    3 miles hardly seems worth the trouble. Just started feeling relaxed when I had to stop. But taper I must.

exercise.png

A semi-related running question: back in November I reserved a hotel room through the Houston marathon site, and requested late check-out, as I know I will getting back after normal checkout time (usually like 10am). Got a confirmation, but didn't see anything about late check-out. Kept trying to contact them to verify, but never got a response. Finally got through today and they said it had to be requested at check-in, and depends on availability. Uh, Ok.
    What am I supposed to do with all my luggage and crap if I have to check out at 5:30am on my way to the marathon? I won't have a car (specifically got the hotel because it is less than a mile from the start line). Anyone had to deal with that before?

@Scott6255 I’ve had hotels hold my luggage as well. The sucky part about no late check-out is no post-race shower before traveling. I had a friend once bribe a maid to let her use the hotel gym shower.