Pet Peeve - logging non 'exercise' exercise

Options

Replies

• Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I only add cleaning if its top to bottom, moving all the furniture, doing things I don't normally do while cleaning. About 4 times a year I do this.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter what someone else wants to log or not log as exercise? Everyone has their own reasons. Some people chose to log less than they actually do, so maybe the did more than "light" cleaning, but dont want to over estimate because they dont have a hrm, or maybe they use that to prompt themselves to do more housework. Maybe they have their activity set to sedentary, so that everything over that is extra. Maybe they don't even eat that back anyway, but still like to log it. Maybe they are recovering from an injury, or sickness, or have a debilitating condition so that all they can do is light, and everything is an achievement. Let people use this tool as a tool, how best works for them. You use it how you want too.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Unless it's causing you to not lose weight (or gain it), why in the world would it drive you crazy?

I don't log those things, but it's none of my business if someone else does.

I second this. Why is it worth the energy to get peeved? I've got so much stuff going on in my life, and my family's, why on earth bother with what may or may not work for people I don't even know?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I have logged cleaning before, but that is on heavy duty house cleaning days, not running the vacuum every other day. But, it doesn't bother me what other people do, because it's their business and their body. If they see results that way, they see results. It's not affecting me or my body in any way.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I mean, do what you do and don't worry about what anyone else is doing - how the hell does it directly or indirectly affect you???

well stated in my opinion! we are here to support each other and if someone can only get calories burned by cleaning or cooking we should support them not put them down. some of these posts are just pointless
  • krstnmuir
    Options
    I've logged cleaning before, but it's when I've cleaned another persons house when she was going through a crisis.... when I do something out of my ordinary daily routine... I think it counts.. I was exausted, I absolutely burned extra calories. If I ever get around to cleaning my garage, or my attic... I am so logging that too.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Don't you think that it really has to do with what you put your activity level at? Mine's sedentary. I don't always have the ability to get up and cook or clean. I log it if I do, just like I log the 3 hours I spend actively walking at the zoo.

Perhaps you simply shouldn't be friends with people you don't actually support?
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well I dont clean on a regular basis, so that is how I justify logging it! ha ha
  • hnlapaille
    Options
    For some people, getting up and making dinner or cleaning their house is exercise. As an RN, I once attended an extreme weight-loss class for morbidly obese people (the people that if wanting life-changing surgery needed to lose 50+ lbs in 3months) for work and learned that just walking in 5 minute bursts up their stairs was more exercise than they've probably done in a long time. The class made let you know calories in, calories out. At my house, there are 3 levels so doing laundry for everyone and putting it away can give me a few miles on my pedometer with all of the stairs I'm walking. Not everyone has the same fitness level and if cleaning house, standing to make dinner or walking to the mail box if their exercise for the day, then congrats to them for making some type of movement besides picking up a fork or remotes.
  • curiousmissclay
    Options
    i have to agree with the original poster i find it frustrating when people put really silly things like washing the pots down as excercise for me whatever i do in the day is a bonus i dont need to log it but when i go to the gym or for a run it gets logged because for me thats an exercise instead of a daily activity.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I understand your point completely. I sometimes question why some people are on this when they look great already. Then I come to a realization that it's a mental thing. If it makes em feel like they did something, and helps them continue to keep going; then it's for them. If something as tiny as that is a pet peeve for you, maybe we need to analyze what really matters in life. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat!"
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I really don't care what people log for their exercise because you know what if it is a motivator to them then who has any right to tell them they are wrong? Even if it is as simple as cleaning, maybe that's what they can do for now, you know start out small make your way up?? I don't see it as anyone's business what people log as exercise, if it isn't hurting you and your weight loss journey then don't worry about it.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think logging stuff like this can be indicative of a mindset that is counter-productive to making life-changing decisions. I'm sure that for some people (not everyone) logging this sort of stuff as exercise, it deters them from doing actual exercise as they think to themselves, "I've done my exercise for the day and there's no need to do anything else". Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but I'm sure some people think like that.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who think you should stop judging others and worry about what you are doing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can only conclude from this thread that a lot of people in it have VERY easy and stress-free lives if this is what bothers them. :-)
  • scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point....if it is a change for you then log it as a boost...I have met some really large people that do no activity on this site and in an effort to get healthy and moving just sweeping the floor is a workout!! For those blessed to be able to clean house daily, we can use this as a reminder!! I appaude anyone that is trying to improve their overall health !! Sooo count it all...as you lose and can do more , you might want to limit those activities that you do daily...
    Just my opinion...
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Why does it matter what someone else wants to log or not log as exercise? Everyone has their own reasons. Some people chose to log less than they actually do, so maybe the did more than "light" cleaning, but dont want to over estimate because they dont have a hrm, or maybe they use that to prompt themselves to do more housework. Maybe they have their activity set to sedentary, so that everything over that is extra. Maybe they don't even eat that back anyway, but still like to log it. Maybe they are recovering from an injury, or sickness, or have a debilitating condition so that all they can do is light, and everything is an achievement. Let people use this tool as a tool, how best works for them. You use it how you want too.

Nicely said! If you do not like what people choose to log then do not look at it! We all can't be as perfect as you, my dear!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Who cares, if it doesn't concern me why should it bother me. Just another thought... I work all week sitting on my *kitten* so I don't clean house every day of the week so if I break sweat cleaning house on Saturday well then I'm taking it if I choose too...
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve~people who feel the need to put others down for their effort ( no matter how small) instead of encouraging them!

Pet peeve~people who assume they know everything about a strangers life, and are thus able to judge what is appropriate for the other person!

Pet peeve~ the phrase " real exercise" which apparently means if you are accomplishing something other than burning calories, you are not exercising.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    PS I think the original poster is getting a bit too much stick for just expressing an opinion - she didn't say these people are evil or deserve bad things to happen to them...I think a pet peeve is just that - not quite strong enough to be a genuine annoyance but something she just finds a little irritating and she wanted to share it! Let her express her opinion people, that's all she's doing! :)
This discussion has been closed.