• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Missed it!
    l8y780b7mz4y.jpg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Allie .. 8-10 pounds is a lot in the past 3 weeks! It would be nice if it kept coming off at that rate, but you know it's never sustainable when it does. You're doing great! Hang in there!

Sue .. you're not invisible. If celery tastes sweet to you, then you are definitely knocking out the refined sugar!

Have an avalanche of paperwork to complete today for my son's move... some of it's relevant ... some of it is not.

Ate too much processed stuff yesterday (homemade Stromboli --yum!) and holding on to some water today. Hard to drink ice water when it's so cold and I'm not overly fond of hot tea (unless it's that Egyptian Licorice!)

Kelly ... thinking of you this morning with your little charges and hoping that things continue to go well with the newest boys.

Another beautiful morning here! Snow is just sparkling in the cold! Warming temps will bring rain and ice tomorrow.. :/

Beth near Buffalo

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, We have a battery powered lantern that provides enough light for knitting or reading for the person sitting next to it. I miss the TV when the power is off.

:)Suebdew, staying off sugar becomes its own reward when you notice that you no longer crave all the sweet stuff you used to eat and can avoid it easily. Congratulations.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Past my bedtime but wanted to catch up reading
    Barbara- thank you for noticing my post regarding my 19 days off sugar. I was beginning to think I was invisible. Today I hosted bridge and had a mixture of popcorn, chocolate and pretzels for the girls to snack on while playing. I was able to resist the mixture completely. It is strange but even celery tastes sweet to me now. I had a loss of .8 this week. Very slow but I am still just working on sugar and more walking.
    Enjoying the Skinny on Fat series but it takes a lot of time as I am also watching Live Longer, Feel Better.
    Better get to bed.
    We had 45 mph winds that also blew everything around on my patio. Glad they have settled down.
    Suebdew inTX

Sue
    - you are doing so well! You are not invisible, I love reading your progress on the no-sugar plan. It really does make a difference, doesn't it? And to think a few generations ago, sugar was really a treat and not an everyday component of so many foods. Glad you are liking the series!

Rita - I think I'm related to your husband a bit in the grease department, B) . Maybe it's because when I fry something, there seem to be splatters all over the stove and counter, often floor and who knows what that need to be cleaned. :s And so many cleaning products have "odd" odors to me = thanks to allergies I guess. So I just avoid it if possible. But, if you're not cooking fish every day or wild game, the odors do fade after a day or two. My own DH has his own quirks too, and some days I think how my life would be if he and his quirks weren't in it, lol. So far his good qualities are tipping the scale in his favor. B) Your patties looked delicious by the way.

Better get busy. Cleaner is coming at 8 today, she can deal with the cooking splatters I missed, lol.

Lanette
    Cool & rainy SW WA State
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)<3o:):)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I can't remember who it was that was having a bit of trouble with yogurt setting up in the Instant Pot. My tips are:
    1) Stir the milk halfway through the "boiling" stage to ensure that all the milk reaches the target temp of 180F.

2) Use a reliable thermometer when cooling the hot milk. Be sure the thermometer isn't touching the bottom of the liner, but is actually in the milk.

3) Cool the hot mix to between 110F and 120F. I usually aim for 115F. Stir a small amount of the hot milk into your starter to temper it before adding the starter to the hot milk.

4) Use a quality starter yogurt, from your last batch or from the store. Every 4th or 5th batch, start with new store bought yogurt.

5) Add extra probiotics if you want to - Align or Florastor or your favorite.

6) Use full fat milk or half-and-half if you want to enjoy the full benefits of probiotics. Use lower fat milk products if you are on a low fat diet, of course.

7) The longer it "yogs", the less sugar it will have, and the more tart the finished product will be. I like 10 hours, but some people who love really tart yogurt go as long as 15 hours. Straining some of the whey will further reduce the sugar content and make the yogurt thicker.

8) The Instant Pot counts up rather than down when making yogurt. It starts at zero.

I love home-made yogurt. I prefer whole milk or half-and-half (half whole milk & half cream for non-USA folks.) We have even made yogurt using heavy whipping cream. We used it as a delicious dessert yogurt, served with fresh fruit, for dinner guests. It would have been even better with stewed fruit, like Heather does.

Karen in Virginia
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Katla - they had a gluten free haggis in my posh supermarket! Never seen that before.

Don’t know why I ever roasted chicken! This is the second time I've boiled it in the IP and it is delicious! Plenty of fab stock which I reboiled with the skin and bones. Lots of lovely moist meat. I just put onion, carrot and celery in the water.

The dentist has already cancelled our appointments twice because they could not get their new dentist registered. :*;) They got a locum and we were due to see her tomorrow. (DH cancelled, but I was still on) This afternoon they rang to say the dental assistant has had a freak accident and broken her arm! So no appointment tomorrow! They have a substitute organised for Friday, so I'm going then. It's only a check up, so it won't interfere with Burns Night. That is the easiest party of the year! The haggis just warms in the oven. I will make the mashed neeps and tatties the day before, so there's really only the whisky sauce to do. I will set fire to the whisky to burn off the alcohol for my son, even though it isn't a lot. I've got a delicious, stinky Epoisses cheese for after. Starter will be rolls of smoked salmon and faux caviar.
    Wish DH was feeling better, but I think he's coughing less.

Love Heather UK
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Janet in SW MO - " One of the reasons I’m looking forward to retiring (even though I’m still about 8 years away), I’ll have more time to fit everything in.". Oh my! I have to laugh. I wonder sometimes how I found time to work! Of course at 75, I've slowed down a lot. I DO miss the reckless energy I had two decades ago, though. "800 mile Motorcycle ride on a 3-day off? Sure! Let's strap the gear on the bikes and GO!" ""A bunch of teenagers for a surprise birthday party? Sure! I'll run to the store and grab a cake and ice cream. Not enough bowls? We'll use mugs too. Clean-up? Oh. Yeah. Maybe tomorrow mirning, or could you please? Thanks sweetie!"

Don't worry, but implement some little things that please you now, if possible.

What tiny object is most precious to me? - I've started over from nothing three times now, so not a lot is left. I have a photo of a moose that climbed onto a boardwalk just about 15 feet in front of me broadside, then she turned her head to look at me (almost frozen, camera in position, terrified) heard the snap, turned ahead and stepped off the side and meandered away. You can see the clouds of mosquitos on her flanks. That was my motorcycle trip with husband and 10-yo DD in 1991. We made it through a forest fire guided by the RCMP and on up above the Arctic Circle to Inuvik, NWT, CA.

When you've had a tough day, what makes you feel better? - Cats being silly or talking to daughters.

What would you like to celebrate? - Seeing my grandkids all grown and settled in a life they are joyful to have.

What's your biggest wish in life? - It may sound petty given the huge challenge so many of you have with life-changing or mind-destroying illnesses, but I wish they'd discover a cure for macular degeneration so I don't lose my vision before I'm able to travel.

If you were to send a thank-you note to someone, who would you thank? - I'd thank my dear boss for taking a huge chance on a former office worker and hiring me as a Teamster. It gave my family a life instead of an existence to have a union job, vacation, wages, retirement and all.

Who is a good friend to you? - A gal I worked with as a trucker. She'd driven long-haul with her husband. She always has believed in me, been there for me when I REALLY needed it, and not been afraid to tell me when I needed to pull my head out of my nether regions and look at reality.

What small thing did you do recently that made someone very happy? - I didn't just pick up my friends from Ireland when their ride's car broke down, I took them to the vegan specialty store they'd hoped to visit on the other side of town and took them to the Pho place where they'd planned on eating so they'd leave next morning with full tummies.

Matchka! I love the shoes in red! Perfect for so many outfits.

Sharon Near Seattle (One of the few places it's not snowing and blasting wind!