• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    The app name: 365 Gratitude: Diary Journal Uofhappy, LLC
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    tifano wrote: »
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Status check: Day 3 AF free for me.

After nearly 3 months AF (what I thought of as a "reset"), my experiment with my sister to moderate at a concert in mid-December led to others... and I had a head-check recently and realized that I'd drank 4 times in 30 days, and 3 of them were doozies (memory lapses, hangovers, etc).

I'm back to attending AA 2-3 times a week and while I am still not 100% committed to never having another drink again for the rest of my life, I am committed to today, and cautiously committed to the self-exploration that AA encourages. There are a lot of things in my past to take a look at (nothing BRUTAL but certainly a fair amount of pain), a lot of inner dialogue that needs addressing, and if nothing else, I know that I need to address my need to avoid being vulnerable. This fear of vulnerability has led to too many dark days, and really, what's so scary about taking a long, hard look in the mirror and taking stock? Some truths are harder to come to than others, I guess.

I've been AF for 2348 days (6.42 years) on day at a time. I still can't say I'll never drink again...Just today I don't plan on taking another drink.

I've been in AA my entire sobriety and it's been the best thing I ever did for myself to help me not drink but to learn how to live life on life's terms.

HUGS friend

I only have 570 days, but I can say I won't ever drink again. Doubt is not my friend. If I screw this up, I want tough love not compassion. I want to hear what a freaking moron I am. I don't think of myself as a alcoholic who is abstaining; I am someone who doesn't drink. I do not take it day by day; I am in it for the long haul. I made this decision and I control my adherence to it. I am not a good fit for AA. No higher power; it's all on me. I accept full responsibility for my actions that put me on a bad path and I take credit for getting back on track by making a firm decision not to drink because it leads me to making poor decisions.

AA does seem to be a good fit for a lot of people. I am just not one of them.

You have to do what works best for your own recovery and means to stay sober. There's a saying in the rooms that says we don't shoot our wounded so I will always have compassion on the new comer to AA or to the person who relapsed and is coming back to recover.

I'm really glad you've found a way that works for you. Keep going!!!
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Update: I found a meeting that I really like. It's sweet. It's at a "spiritual enrichment center" and held discussion style. They turn off all the lights and light candles around the room and hold the meeting like that. The resulting darkness and candle-glow provide both a feeling of not being seen, but also of intimacy (vulnerability). The people are kind, mostly older folks, and gratitude just pours out of them. I think these might be "my people." :)

I'm still not convinced that AA is for me for the rest of my life, but it is helping me now and I find the self-exploration immensely helpful. Also, seeing that I am 100% NOT unique helps me feel less alone. I don't have a goal other than not drinking today.

I hope you all are healthy, content, and loved.

so awesome to see this!! hooray!!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @joha5603 I hope you mean you will scurry on for now .... <3
    @lorrainequiche59 thanks for the shout out ❤ I loved your piece and it gave me inspiration to walk in nature more often . Hugs !
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Joining again. I did two months sober in May and June of last year. Was doing well until the holidays. I broke up with the guy I was seeing and drank too much the week before I broke up with him and the week after. Felt like crap. Got on the scale and sure enough weight had gone up. So I am going sober again until my ski vacation in March. It will be eight weeks. I am on day 6. So far sleep as not improved and feeling a bit anxious. I know from last time these things get better. Giving it up is easier than last time. I guess I know I can do it. I feel like I can moderate until things go bad.

I know this sounds weird but I was thinking about you. Last January , I took a screen shot of some posts on the thread so I could remember some links. Last evening I was looking at the screen shot of the thread And I saw your profile pic and wondered how you were. And today you posted ! Best wishes - we are here for you .

Aww thanks for thinking of me Rubyred. I did read the thread some and cheered all of you on from here.