Daily calories are too much!! HELP!

Options

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    :lol: I don't understand why all these first time posters are coming in here to post all this Youtube/fitness magazine woo in this thread? Did someone put a link to it in another forum or something?

OP said she would see what she could tighten up on her logging back on page 2. Since she hasn't been back to tell us her logging was perfect and it must be something else, I'd hazard a guess that was the issue.

Pro tip: When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not unicorns. Logging accurately is a skill that requires practice, and for most of us our food log when we started was a hot mess. Most folks would find their calorie needs are pretty typical if they really nailed down their logging, and were more patient. Not starvation mode, not a dead metabolism, not a medical condition, not their body needing to be confused, not sugar hiding in their salt. :neutral:

yep... it's pretty much always simply that most people couldn't visually recognize a single portion if it bit them in the *kitten* (myself included for most things). I think there are probably hundreds of forum posts by now along the lines of "I can't possibly eat 1200 calories - it's too much food" or "I'm only eating 1200 calories - why am I not losing?").

Actually you do. The calorie goal MFP gives you includes a deficit already. When you exercise, you increase that deficit, possibly running one that's too aggressive. Plus you need more calories to fuel those workouts.

Frankly, as a short woman, I'm on 1360 calories to lose 1/2lb per week and that isn't much. A 2-hour walk, some strength training, eat back half the calories and save the rest as a cushion against logging errors and I can eat around 1700. BIG difference.

I think a lot of the "don't eat exercise calories" people must be larger or just don't do much exercise (like a 30 minute walk, or "vigorous" [not!] aerobics with the majority actually being rest breaks) to be able to get away with that. Any athletic petite female who tried such stupidity would wind up in the hospital. (my maintenance estimate is 1400 net calories → as if 1400 total calories combined with 2 hours of cycling hills or a long run is anything but insanely stupid).
    A-ha! Lightbulb moment!

If I'm on the forums, I read through those posts through my fingers, cringing in horror at the idea of not eating your calories back. It's never really occurred to me that maybe our definitions of exercise aren't matching up.

• YBTHW
    YBTHW Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had 1 cup of non- fat Greek Yoghurt for breakfast.
    A salad with 4 eggs, half a tomato and Cucumber, Lettuce and lemon juice for lunch.
    And boiled mix veg and pan fried chicken breast for dinner.

I have been on the bigger side my whole life, but ive been eating healthy for the last couple of years and all I've lost is 20lbs. And with my activeness I still can't seem to shake it. I am 5ft 10, so quite tall too. [/quote]

All the food listed above look over 900 calories. One large egg is roughly 75-95 calories depending if boiled, fried, etc. X 4 = 300-400.

• DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Don't know why @dubird got Woo'd. Solid advice that works I'd say.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Don't know why @dubird got Woo'd. Solid advice that works I'd say.

Yes, dubird's advice was solid. :)

Rather than let this thread get off-topic, if you use the search engine, (Woo Button) you'll find many threads devoted to discussing why this occurs.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. 900 calories a day isn't healthy. Add more foods. Add things like nuts, seeds, cheese, brown rice, quinoa, avocado. If you aren't hungry enough to eat a lot, add things like salad dressing, oils, milk, etc. It's not healthy to eat too little and you will never be able to sustain eating like that for life.
  • Fear_The_Turtle
    Fear_The_Turtle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The OP is never coming back, is she?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    90% of the replies on this post are a dumpster fire of bad advice I can't blame her for not coming back :D

- Check your activity level setting
    - Use a food scale for everything
    - Shoot for the minimum 1200/day and work up from there

Aaaaaaaaand that about covers it! Best of luck, OP!

what do you think was the bad advice in these posts? she got a lot of good advice ad shoot for 1200 and work up from there? 1200 is too low for many people even to begin with.