Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Options

Replies

• allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    skf1201 wrote: »
    Also, how do you include a copy of a previous post in your post to help others know where the original post came from?😀

@skf1201 Hit 'Quote' under the post.
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I have a question......I have a cleaning business which has my body in constant motion for at least 8 hours a day. Moving furniture, running up/down flights of stairs, also all the rest of house cleaning. I haven’t been logging this as exercise. I didn’t feel it’s exercise because it’s simply what I love doing and it is what I do everyday. Should I be logging any of it? Thank you all for your support in this awesome group! Also, how do you include a copy of a previous post in your post to help others know where the original post came from?😀

Also - I've seen people log their active hours during the day as exercise. I've also seen people who change their activity level because they are more active. And, I've seen people who ignore it.

If you add it in as exercise or increase your activity level - MFP's going to give you more calories to eat.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I have a question......I have a cleaning business which has my body in constant motion for at least 8 hours a day. Moving furniture, running up/down flights of stairs, also all the rest of house cleaning. I haven’t been logging this as exercise. I didn’t feel it’s exercise because it’s simply what I love doing and it is what I do everyday. Should I be logging any of it? Thank you all for your support in this awesome group! Also, how do you include a copy of a previous post in your post to help others know where the original post came from?😀

To add a copy of a previous post, use the "quote" function at the bottom of the post.

It's your call on logging your daily activity. I only log my dedicated workouts, but I am not that active otherwise.

• skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

To add a copy of a previous post, use the "quote" function at the bottom of the post.

It's your call on logging your daily activity. I only log my dedicated workouts, but I am not that active otherwise.

• BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Should I be logging any of it?

Hi, @skf1201, I'm not a pro at this at all, but I would make sure my settings showed that I was set at "very active". Someone else might have better advice than me on this though.

To "quote" someone, highlight the section of their post you want to quote, then in your new message box, hit the paragraph sign, it will bring up three choices: quote, code, spoiler. Click quote and then paste the quote from the person's post. The curser will land right where you are to paste the quote.

Another good thing you can use is the spoiler if you want to post a picture. This keeps the thread from having the picture show so large. People can then just click on your "spoiler" to see the photo.

Have a great day!
    Bonnie in Nashville TN
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Put a Fitbit on a see how many steps/calories you are burning in a day!!! I bet a lot. I’m at desk job... I don’t move!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @skf1201 as far as logging your normal routine as exercise I would look at your weight loss. After the 1st month, if you're losing more than about 2lbs a week log your exercise because you probably need a few more calories.
  • skf1201
    skf1201 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @BonnieHosk85
    @poscur
    @PartyPerson
    @alteredsteve175
    @allison8668

Thank you for your reason to my questions! I bought a Garmin the other day and am liking the information it gives me. I’ll change my setting to very active.
  • writeisland
    writeisland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @skf1201 My brother did an experiment alongside a professor- they and their wives rode their bicycles across the United States. 3 months 4600 miles. One thought they’d lose a lot of weight, the other thought they’d lose a little and plateau. Neither lost more than 10 pounds. They found that the body adjusts to what you make it do - even riding 100 miles a day on a bike. Ugh! So if you’re doing the same amount of work every day, you might find you’re not losing. I did a 5k every day for a month+ and lost nothing after the first week or so. So from my personal knowledge, I think you have to switch it up to keep your body burning. Of course everyone is different. Good luck on the journey...mine seems to be never ending. Lol

• wae2go
    wae2go Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    53 here and on week 3 of this do-over. Started TOPS meetings also. Always gain it all back and then some without accountability. Joining this group and hope to be helpful to others also! 👍
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Not excited to post my weekly weigh in:

Starting weight: 1/4/19: 149.5
    1/11/19: 147
    1/18/19: 144.4
    1/25/19: 143.1
    2/1/19: 142.6

My loss this week was .5 pounds. My goal is about 1.5 so I was not close to my goal.
    After my weigh-in last Friday, I completely ate out of control on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I had a lot of personal and family situations which stressed me out... and I completely binged and did not exercise. I think I probably ate 1000 calories over maintenance for each of those days. I felt so bloated, embarrassed and frustrated by Monday night. I have eaten within my calorie goal since Monday. I am thankful for a .5 pound weight loss and I have renewed my commitment not to allow stress to throw me off course.

nap27ynsjw2x.jpg

Thank you all for your support.

Total loss is 6.9 pounds for 4 weeks. 13.1 to go
  • poscur
    poscur Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »

My loss this week was .5 pounds. My goal is about 1.5 so I was not close to my goal.
    After my weigh-in last Friday, I completely ate out of control on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I had a lot of personal and family situations which stressed me out... and I completely binged and did not exercise. I think I probably ate 1000 calories over maintenance for each of those days. I felt so bloated, embarrassed and frustrated by Monday night. I have eaten within my calorie goal since Monday. I am thankful for a .5 pound weight loss and I have renewed my commitment not to allow stress to throw me off course.

nap27ynsjw2x.jpg

Life happens and there will always be those days & weeks. Congrats and your loss and you didn’t gain! That is a win! 💪🏼❤️
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

Seven pounds in a month is awesome, Lynn. Focus on that and stay the course.

Love me some Yoda in these situations. :D

tp4cm6vnucjx.jpg

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    @BonnieHosk85
    @poscur
    @PartyPerson
    @alteredsteve175
    @allison8668

Thank you for your reason to my questions! I bought a Garmin the other day and am liking the information it gives me. I’ll change my setting to very active.

Or alternatively this works too. I have activity set at sedentary then have my Garmin set to update my MFP based on daily activity. This way it adds continually during the day depending on what AI do. That way if I do have a very inactive or very active day it corresponds.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options

nap27ynsjw2x.jpg

Almost 7 lbs. in 4 weeks is excellent! And, keep in mind, your weight loss may slow down a bit as you go along, so try not to get discouraged!
  • pkcsdh
    pkcsdh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ... been doing great

BUT today feels like I'm starving ~ not sure why...

Trying to hang in there
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    pkcsdh wrote: »
    ... been doing great

BUT today feels like I'm starving ~ not sure why...

Trying to hang in there

On those days I go for protein and try drinking sometihng hot. Usually helps.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I’m late to the party but finally made the decision ‘again’ to get the weight off that has crept on the last couple of years.
    You seem like a supportive motivated group which is what I need.
  • NCBlessings
    NCBlessings Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hello! Currently trying to see food differently instead of just eating mindlessly. I want to nourish my body consistently, and stop the cycle of lose 20, gain it back. I’m 55 and would love to lose 50lbs. I’m working towards a completely WFPB diet. Processed foods, sugar & dairy sabotage my efforts, so I’m giving them a little 🦵! 😀