NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When it comes to devices, they can be a great inspiration/incentive, with step counts, move reminders, and the like . . . but do keep in mind that there are movements that they don't recognize, but that still burn a couple of calories. The devices count a lot of things. Your body counts every little thing.

In your opinion do you think the devise underestimates then?

I still don't eat all the adjustment back even though I've been in maintenance for a few months. I've lost a few more pounds too during this period. Starting to think now that I should probably eat all the adjustment back to stop losing. Just so frightened of gaining.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When it comes to devices, they can be a great inspiration/incentive, with step counts, move reminders, and the like . . . but do keep in mind that there are movements that they don't recognize, but that still burn a couple of calories. The devices count a lot of things. Your body counts every little thing.

In your opinion do you think the devise underestimates then?

I still don't eat all the adjustment back even though I've been in maintenance for a few months. I've lost a few more pounds too during this period. Starting to think now that I should probably eat all the adjustment back to stop losing. Just so frightened of gaining.

Those two statements are a contradiction. If you're eating less than your device tells you to eat through MFP, then it is likely not underestimating anything. I think method three in this thread would help you determine the accuracy of your device:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level/p1
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    This thread is great...reminding me that I have to move more...I admit that I tend to think nothing about sitting all day at a desk because I exercise 30 to 60 minutes at the gym.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Take the number of pounds you've lost in that period, multiply that by 3500. Compare that to the total number of calories from your tracker that you didn't eat back, over the same time period. If the numbers are close, you can eat all of the adjustment. If there's a gap, divide by the number of days to get a rough estimate of how many calories lower or higher than the adjustment you'd have to eat to maintain.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a informative response. I really appreciate it.

I did what you suggested and I'm left with 5715 calories. What does this mean? I should eat all of them back or just some. Sorry if it's obvious! FYI it was 14000 minus 8285.

Really don't want to lose any more weight. Keep getting grief from my parents about needing to stop. That aside I'm also content with where I am. Also you are totally right if I gain a little bit it's not a big deal... I can lose again as I've done it before.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Take the number of pounds you've lost in that period, multiply that by 3500. Compare that to the total number of calories from your tracker that you didn't eat back, over the same time period. If the numbers are close, you can eat all of the adjustment. If there's a gap, divide by the number of days to get a rough estimate of how many calories lower or higher than the adjustment you'd have to eat to maintain.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a informative response. I really appreciate it.
    I did what you suggested and I'm left with 5715 calories. What does this mean? I should eat all of them back or just some. Sorry if it's obvious! FYI it was 14000 minus 8285.

Really don't want to lose any more weight. Keep getting grief from my parents about needing to stop. That aside I'm also content with where I am. Also you are totally right if I gain a little bit it's not a big deal... I can lose again as I've done it before.

You have to divide by the number of days in the time period to get a daily average gap, i.e., divide the 5175 by the number of days to know (roughly) how far off your tracker is vs. your typical average TDEE over the time period.

Without knowing how many days those numbers represent, it's hard for me to know whether 5715 is a big gap, or not. If we're talking about 90 days, then your tracker is within about 64 calories per day of your typical average TDEE (5175 divided by 90). If we're talking about 30 days, it would be 191 per day (5175 divided by 30). If it's longer than 90 days, the number would be smaller than 64 per day.

I'm not sure which number is which - Is 14000 the number of calories that represents the pounds you lost (pounds x 3500), or is it the number of calories your tracker gave you that you didn't eat? That's what would tell us if your tracker is high, or low, when compared to your typical TDEE.

I'm trying here, but it's kind of hard to do other people's math! ;)

If this all seems too complicated for you to do, then I'd suggest considering adding 50-100 calories a day, weighing daily & putting it into a weight trending app (like Happy Scale or Libra among others), then waiting until you see a clear trend (up, level, down). If you're then still losing, add another few calories, and monitor again. Keep going until you stabilize (ideally), or see an up-trend (in which case back off part/all of the last increment).

For more info, there's a stickied post in "Goal: Maintaining Weight" that you can take a look at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level

That would be a good place to ask questions, too, as there have been other contributors to that thread who're already in maintenance and might have suggestions. This current thread (about NEAT) isn't as directly realated to the subject.

Best wishes!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One of the most common things I do is how I put away laundry. I fold each one individually and walk and put it away, then the next one so on and so on. Takes longer, but the extra steps I take help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thought I was the only one who did that.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One of the most common things I do is how I put away laundry. I fold each one individually and walk and put it away, then the next one so on and so on. Takes longer, but the extra steps I take help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thought I was the only one who did that.

I just did this the other night for the first time, trying to please my Apple Watch on a quiet day. I need 30 calories but I'm ready for bed... time to eke out this laundry putting away!