Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @7lenny7 I had one GU gel 15 minutes prior to the race start, and then after that it was just the Gatorade.

I think the average runner burns around 100 calories per mile, and stores about 2000 carb calories, which is why you tend to see people hitting the wall at around the 20 mile mark. According to Garmin, I burned a little over 2100 calories for the entire race, so my guess is I've become a little more economical with my running over time, and can therefore get through the race without needing to take on as much extra fuel during it.

With three extra years of running, and the type of running you do, I would very much imagine that you have much more endurance now to try for that sub-four. Just plan on a good fueling strategy, because once you're empty, pace goes out of the window and it's too late to take on extra fuel.

For my first I went through a lot of nutrition calculations to figure out what I needed and that worked well. When I got into ultras I realized that it was a lot easier to test maximum hourly energy consumption on long runs then maximize consumption during the race. I'm not sure if that would translate well to a marathon since I'd be running harder. I'd have to do more testing at marathon pace.

Yep, I need to break 4 hours. I don't know when or where, but I need to put something on my long term plan

Pittsburgh! May 2019! With me! 4 is my magic wall. I broke it for the first time last year. Hope to do it again this year. :)

I walk the water stops. Drink the Gatorade and eat 3 Clif blocks every hour for a street marathon. So I guess I am taking on 100-200 calories per hour.

That would be fun! I even have a nephew in Pittsburgh. But, that's just two weeks after a 50 mile race and 2 weeks before the Superior Spring 50k. I need to take it easy this year after surgery and we'll likely be sailing that weekend, or at least getting the boat prepped.

I have a 50k 6 days after and a 5k the day before. Not phasing me :) Besides your nephew really misses you. ;)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @simcon1 - Love the sledding picture! May not be so happy though when the school year is extended to make up for the lost days 🤣
    My daughter's dog is loving it too; Snowy romps and runs at the park followed by a fire in the fireplace and snuggles!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Friday I ran 48 min again for my current "long run". From the get-go I could tell my heart rate was back into that stupid high range again and was not going to go well. So I decided to take a 1 min walk break every 12 minutes to try and get a little relief. Didn't do anything Sat/Sun because I seem to have turned into a total lazy bum on weekends. Monday I did a 30 min run and again, high heart rate, even higher than Friday. It's worth noting that during the time that I was making progress on my HR while running my resting HR had gone down and my resting HR is now higher again. So I don't know what's up but I'm feeling discouraged that I haven't actually made any progress in fitness. Maybe I was hydrating better for awhile and need to get back to it? :s

Liked for your decision to take walking breaks when needed. And we all need to be lazy bums sometimes, so I hope you enjoyed your weekend! How are you measuring your heart rate? Are you sure it's accurate? I am personally of the opinion that hydration is generally overrated unless your workout lasts more than an hour, but I might be in a minority there.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've fallen off the horse. I planned on missing 5 runs last week due to a ski trip. However, I returned on Friday and haven't gotten back out there and I have a race on Sunday morning. It's so hard for me to get back in the groove when I miss a few runs even for a valid reason. How do you break that habit of sort of "falling apart"?

I have absolutely done this before. Vacations used to be a habit killer for me. Like @7lenny7 said, just going out for a walk or like a 1 mile run with no other plans and seeing where it takes you is a good idea. I have used that strategy before and it usually kicks me back in gear. I'll admit that now I just don't take breaks of more than a few days and will even run on vacation at least once just to keep the habit going. I'm sure once you get out once or twice you'll be looking forward to it again!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Friday I ran 48 min again for my current "long run". From the get-go I could tell my heart rate was back into that stupid high range again and was not going to go well. So I decided to take a 1 min walk break every 12 minutes to try and get a little relief. Didn't do anything Sat/Sun because I seem to have turned into a total lazy bum on weekends. Monday I did a 30 min run and again, high heart rate, even higher than Friday. It's worth noting that during the time that I was making progress on my HR while running my resting HR had gone down and my resting HR is now higher again. So I don't know what's up but I'm feeling discouraged that I haven't actually made any progress in fitness. Maybe I was hydrating better for awhile and need to get back to it? :s

Liked for your decision to take walking breaks when needed. And we all need to be lazy bums sometimes, so I hope you enjoyed your weekend! How are you measuring your heart rate? Are you sure it's accurate? I am personally of the opinion that hydration is generally overrated unless your workout lasts more than an hour, but I might be in a minority there.

I wear a Fitbit Charge 3 all the time, so that's why I noted my resting HR also went up during the week also, besides the higher HR while running. That's why I was thinking overall dehydration because I have weeks where I do better and weeks where I live off Diet Coke :-p