WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    ndargy welcome. Since you are a planner—can you have an emergency pack of protein snacks available to stave off hunger which can lead to lousy food choices? This is one strategy I’ve used when I’m on the move. I always have some nuts or a stable kind of fruit with me or stashed somewhere in case my plans change.

NYKAREN
  • ndargy1977
    ndargy1977 Posts: 38 Member
    @klanders30 - Karen, good idea!!! I'll have to pre-package maybe some of the "protein packs" that the stores sell....Nuts, cheese, etc..... I live very close to where I work, so it's always an option to run home real quick to get some grab and go snacks :)
  • 1985nurse
    1985nurse Posts: 4 Member
    Trucker 743 My name is Sharon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Beautiful Evelyn!

Okie
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :'(Pip, sorry to hear about the gym being closed. A lot of things are closed over here.

:) The snow overnight was lovely and covered the streets with just enough to make walking easy and fun. The dogs and took a long walk before breakfast and will go out again soon.

:'(Lanette, later today we'll have rain and then that slush you were talking about. Each time I take the dogs out, it's a new adventure.

<3 Barbie from beautiful snowy NW WA

Barbie - be careful out there. It's been rain to snow to rain so far this morning, but I can see snow levels diminishing. Yesterday our place looked like Margaret's photo <3

I found a good sounding recipe on "The Iron You" using left over rice, cottage cheese, mushrooms, onion, grated parm cheese, eggs = Easy Rice and Mushroom Casserole. 1 serving 239 calories, 8 gm fat, 29 gm carb, 13 gm protein. The only thing missing is a decent amount of fiber to bring down net carbs. Any suggestions?

Planning to make it in a few days, will likely add steamed/drained broccoli or other veg.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Welcome April!

Lanette - Are you trying the recipe to use up rice or could you sub cauliflower rice?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,721 Member
    edited February 2019
    April8114 wrote: »
    In all honesty, I can say I’ve learned a lot recently, including the fact that I’m not really allergic to exercise (but I do sneeze after I eat, which freaks my SO out). Truly, I pretty much felt like I’d rather be dressed in pork chop panties and tossed in the lion’s exhibit at the zoo than exercise! I still have those same feelings, but purposely avoid zoos (and pork chops), and to date, I haven’t had any adverse reactions after being on my elliptical. Hope endures.

April 🍱

Welcome April! Love your sense of humor! :D You will fit in just fine here.

Beth near Buffalo

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,283 Member
    Welcome April!

Lanette - Are you trying the recipe to use up rice or could you sub cauliflower rice?

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Okie, thank you - that's a great suggestion. I like the idea of rice (brown rice) but cutting back. Thinking of artichoke hearts too but need to check out their fiber content. Could maybe throw in the pan with the mushrooms as they are browning.

Oh, and I'll have to make rice. Was thinking of subbing quinoa for that too, but it doesn't really add that much more protein or fiber.

Lanette

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is International Darwin Day!

"Darwin Day is a celebration to commemorate the birthday of Charles Darwin on 12 February 1809. The day is used to highlight Darwin's contributions to science and to promote science in general. ... Various events are conducted on Darwin Day around the world. They have included dinner parties with special recipes for 'primordial soup' and other inventive dishes, protests with school boards and other governmental bodies, workshops and symposia, distribution of information by people in ape costumes, lectures and debates, essay and art competitions, concerts, poetry readings, plays, artwork, comedy routines, re-enactments of the Scopes Trial and of the debate between Thomas H. Huxley and Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, library displays, museum exhibits, travel and educational tours, recreations of the journey of HMS Beagle, church sermons, movie nights, outreach, and nature hikes. The Perth Mint [in] Australia launched a 2009 dated commemorative 1-ounce silver legal tender coin depicting Darwin, young and old; HMS Beagle; and Darwin's signature."

Sharon - I can really see the difference between the photos, especially in your face. Great work!

Michele - Good luck with your tanning efforts! My legs seem to stay paper-white no matter what I do. I agree with you on the no-logging days... what I want to avoid is giving myself permission to have a no-logging day just because I know I pigged out that day!

Shannon - Eye surgery sounds un-nerving but most people I know who've had it were thrilled with the results. Wishing you the best possible outcome!

Evelyn - Sounds like you definitely got your workout with all that snow shoveling! Our home in New Mexico was at the top of a steep gravel road. We didn't have to do much snow removal around the house, but getting up that road took some doing. After the third or fourth time Philip drove the hour and a half home from Santa Fe then had to stop at the foot of the driveway to put on tire chains, he decided to trade in how Miata for a 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Machka - I like that dress and leggings too! I often wear leggings with a long top or dress when I go out. I find them way more comfortable than jeans. Regardless of my weight I have pretty substantial "thunder thighs," so now that pantyhose are out of fashion I have to wear bicycle shorts under dresses unless I add leggings. Thanks for the motivation article, too! I've been doing better with eating and fitness, but a look around my house makes it clear I'm still struggling with motivation in other areas.

April - Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you. Loved your summary of exercise! No exercise I've ever done has been what I'd call enjoyable, but I've found a few that I can tolerate. Anything I can do while reading a book is a plus.

Our weather is nice today so I'm going to take a long lunch and go for a walk while it's still bright and pleasant out. Philip has a client coming this afternoon so Luna and I would need to stay out of the way anyway. Might as well enjoy the outdoors instead of hunkering down in my office.

Speaking of Luna, when we got home from New Braunfels she was convinced there was a creature in my office so she rooted around behind the trash can and desk until we finally investigated. Turns out there was a small anole behind the filing cabinet. Philip caught it and released it outdoors, but my office looks like it's been ransacked now and the dog will not stop nosing around behind all the furniture just in case there's something else in here that doesn't belong.

-Yvonne in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    snow has turned to sleet, and will end as rain, but we are all home.. safe and sound,,
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    So many snow pics making me shiver! Brrrr... I can honestly say I do NOT miss winters in CT. If I want snow i only have to drive 100 miles north. I can see the snowy mountains from here while standing in the sun and 65 degree weather! >:)

Been busy still doing KETO and loving the food. Like Allie said, I’m eating so much better and don’t even like the taste of sugar any more.

RV Rita
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    Sharon Looking Good!