For the love of Produce...

Replies

• dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    @purplefizzy I love your food attitude, very inspirational. Some of your pics just blew me away and would love to get those recipes! I just picked up a Mueller spiralizer but have not done anything with it yet. Right now my fave source for vegetarian ideas is https://cookieandkate.com/ and her accompanying cookbook. Lots of fresh flavors, roasted veggies, etc.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    My latest is sweet and sour red cabbage......goes so well with Sunday roasts and game [especially venison]. I make a big pot and freeze portions.

Recipe and method available if anybody interested.

Yes, please!

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Wat preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit? For Fennel: Caramelizing it but also steaming it and not boiling to death. Beets: roasting in the oven. Brussels Sprouts with a little bacon or sprinkled with nutmeg

Can you point me toward a particular caramelized fennel recipe/technique you like?
    I have ‘Plenty’ and ‘Jerusalem’ and will happily buy another Ottolenghi if you suggest.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2019
    I love veggies, but there are a few I'm not particularly fond of - beets, fennel, parsnips, chard (because it tastes like beets), and zucchini is just okay.

I cook for a household of people who basically don't like many veggies except salad veggies, and I don't handle raw veggies well due to IBS. So, I tend to keep things for myself pretty basic to save prep time and because I really don't get tired of layered or chopped mixed vegetable casseroles, veggie/bean stews and soups, stir fries, and roasted vegetables.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I'm so jealous of everyone's veggie tales. Lol.

In February, in Colorado, there seems to be little fresh, ripe, affordable veggies. I'm eating salads and potatoes mainly, along with lots of affordable frozen veg. There is a good selection of winter squashes but they are so pricey that we don't eat them often. Can't wait for summer! 😁

Also kombocha is delicious and probably my favorite winter squash. I love it best roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    My latest is sweet and sour red cabbage......goes so well with Sunday roasts and game [especially venison]. I make a big pot and freeze portions.

Recipe and method available if anybody interested.

Yes, please!

Here you are :)

SWEET & SOUR RED CABBAGE [6 portions]
    1tablespoon oil
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 red cabbage, cored and shredded
    120ml red wine
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 [level] tablespoon light muscovado [soft brown] sugar
    1/4 teasoon salt
    15g butter
    1 eating apple, peeled, cored and diced

METHOD
    1. Heat oil in non-stick saucepan. Add onion and cook for 5 mins. until softened. Add cabbage, apple,
    red wine and allspice. Reduce heat, cover and cook gently for 20 mins or until tender.

2. Add vinegar, sugar and salt & cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 5 mins or until almost all the liquid
    has evaporated. Stir in the butter and serve.
  • suziecue25
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Crockpot caramelized onions here:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-caramelized-onions-24750?ref=amp&ftab=reviews

DEAD easy and can be frozen in silicone giant ice cube molds, then freezer bag and store.

thank you!

Oh poo...I tried the link and I got....not available in your country :'(
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-caramelized-onions-24750?ref=amp&ftab=reviews

DEAD easy and can be frozen in silicone giant ice cube molds, then freezer bag and store.

thank you!

I thought I'd post it for you
    Gosh...I love this topic!!!

zn980krkgt7m.png

READY IN: 10hrs 6mins SERVES: 12
    YIELD: 3 cups UNITS: US
    INGREDIENTS Nutrition
    3 lbs sliced onions
    1⁄2 cup melted margarine (or butter)
    1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
    Combine onions, margarine and salt in a crock pot.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    @suziecue25 Thank you :)
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I ADORE my veggies, but I have no good recipes to share :'(

(This is because I just eat the things raw. Or maybe lightly fried/steamed with butter.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Not only do I love vegetables, I like to grow them. :) Tomatoes, for instance, are so easy to start with seeds, and they taste much better than from the store. We make sauce and freeze it, too. There's nothing like going out to the garden in the summer and picking out a salad for supper.

I love growing tomatoes too. Until this year I was limited to pots on a roof deck, but will have a real garden this year and am so excited about it (there's a gardening thread around here somewhere if interested).
  • suziecue25
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

thank you!

I thought I'd post it for you
    Gosh...I love this topic!!!

zn980krkgt7m.png

READY IN: 10hrs 6mins SERVES: 12
    YIELD: 3 cups UNITS: US
    INGREDIENTS Nutrition
    3 lbs sliced onions
    1⁄2 cup melted margarine (or butter)
    1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
    Combine onions, margarine and salt in a crock pot.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Thanks so much for bothering :)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Sweet and sour cabbage is pinned for my ‘to make’ list - reminds me of the quick pickled red onions I went thru an obsessive phase around (cookieandkate.com’s version.)
    https://cookieandkate.com/2018/quick-pickled-onions-recipe/

Of course, I love ANY excuse to use my benriner mandoline... I travel with it. Never know when you might need to shave a veggie.

Thinly shaved cabbage, fresh shaved fennel, shaved golden beets - all things I think are completely different experiences based on the delicate handling and texture that a mandoline lends.

In zombie apocalypse type situations, I’m grabbing my dog, my mandoline, and my tattered copy of ‘The Buddha walks into the Bar’ - with those three things, I’ll be ok ;)