For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've loved everything plants ever since I can remember, and it's a pain to log sometimes because I'll eat any edible plant no matter what it is. Today I had some cheeseweed sauteed with onions, and I can't find nutritional facts for it anywhere. I gave up and logged it as jute. Close enough.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Cool thread! I've been too busy lately to get over to the foreign market for the fun fruit and veggies, you have inspired me!

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of my favorite weird fruits, mamey fruit. It's a kind of sapote fruit. It looks like a giant fuzzy kiwi on the outside, and like an avocado mated with a mango on the inside. It tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Throw it in a blender with a little milk and ice and it makes delicious "ice cream" with way fewer calories and much less sugar.

7fwnlz24dzbd.png

Mamey: Yes! I like them just plain; nice texture. Hard to find here at proper ripeness, but a treat when I can.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Omg, for the longest time my body couldn't tolerate vegetables. Then it was just cooked, low carb leafy greens. Now I can eat most vegetables (except for some nightshades), and I'm loving it!!! I love this recipe
    https://fedandfulfilled.com/egg-free-breakfast-casserole/. I just used ground turkey instead, and added other veggies like broccoli.

e0zag856kigs.jpg

OMG this looks and sounds amazing!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    @Noreenmarie1234 it is amazing! I forgot that I had a bunch of fresh basil left over, and accidentally spilled a plop of italian seasoning lol. Luckily, it just made everything more flavorful.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Cool thread! I've been too busy lately to get over to the foreign market for the fun fruit and veggies, you have inspired me!

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of my favorite weird fruits, mamey fruit. It's a kind of sapote fruit. It looks like a giant fuzzy kiwi on the outside, and like an avocado mated with a mango on the inside. It tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Throw it in a blender with a little milk and ice and it makes delicious "ice cream" with way fewer calories and much less sugar.

7fwnlz24dzbd.png

Oooooooh serious produce mission - esp if it can be used in ice cream!! :)
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    For me its not so much what veggies or fruit BUT figuring out the pairings of thins.
    Lately in the evening I am so into this all spiralized:
    Fennel bulb + kohlrabi + jicama all mixed in miso / tahini / acv dressing.

@crazyravr - sounds awesome. I think I’m the only here without a spiralizer. Anything with tahini must taste great!! 😋
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

7fwnlz24dzbd.png

I have tried this for the first time while on vacation in Cuba couple years ago. Blew my mind. Not available here EVER. Always look for it when I am down there.

I've had the best luck looking for it locally in Mexican markets.
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a produce *kitten* for years and years.
    My ‘Apple thing’ is notorious among friends and family. That’s the one enduring phase (current obsessions are Koru, Pacific Rose, and HoneyBee apples)- in addition to my squash fixation (kabocha, mostly, but a well roasted spaghetti squash also makes me swoon.)

I love almost all things produce-related... roasted golden beets, thinly shaved fennel, kabocha-everything, cauliflower curry, roasted Brussels with Apple and bacon. Grilled asparagus with Meyer lemon couli. Seared peaches on salad. Turnip puree.

Don’t get me wrong. I love a good grass fed steak...next to my veggies!

My question:
    Got a love affair of your own with the veggie realm?
    What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends?
    What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like?
    How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions?
    Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac?
    Wat preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit?

Inspire me with your produce bounty!!

Below:
    Roasted Kaocha in miso glaze with Pom and tahini
    Crispy Orange Slices
    Sweet potato soup

2zbe81jq7qal.jpeg
    3hh0sbopobv1.jpeg
    7ycs9g59b3yk.jpeg

Will you move in and be my mommy? LOL Just kidding. Those look absolutely delicious!
    Seems like I need to seriously step up my game! I'm sitting here at work, perusing my gardening books and magazines and dreaming of planting season!
  • OCDOD
    OCDOD Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    So I had recently bought a dragon fruit and fell in love with it. I’m guessing they have a short season because they all seem to be gone now? Where did all the dragon fruit go? Back to the Seven Kingdoms perhaps?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I love apples, cara cara oranges, and grapes. I recently added frozen fruit, any variety, to my meal plans in overnight oats or nuked with Splenda for dessert.
    I go nuts buying frozen veggies, cauliflower rice, and veggie noodles. Same with bagged salads and bagged veggie blends.
    My current snack is a crudite tray, without the dressing. I add my own salsa or hummus. I also have a shelf in my fridge dedicated to Bolthouse or Opa yogurt dressings.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Butternut squash, toasted with a sprinkle of pecans is my jam. And delicate. Also love sautéed spinach with garlic, spiraled kohlrabi and I could eat roasted garlic by the pound. Cauliflower is fantastic. Don’t even get me started on fruit. 6igr6cqjx0ac.jpeg

@nowine4me - that is some awesome veggie goodness!
  • Safari_Gal
    Options

Pictured: preserved lemons. A new thing for me.
    Must be Meyer (does any other lemon really exist?)

@purplefizzy I see your Meyer lemon and raise you 1 Sorrento lemon 🍋.

Seriously 😋 delicious!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Ohh I love me some veggies! Thank goodness for Aldi's organic section relatively cheap plus decent selection in my area during the off season of growing aka winter. I suffer from an addiction to bell peppers. Love the crunch!
  • zwerchfell
    zwerchfell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies. We are going to the farmers market every Sunday and shop for the week. Lucky enough we live in California so we have all year around a great selection. We also shop at the local Mexican and Chinese markets to get some of the more exotic stuff.

Some of my favorites veggies. Momotaro tomatoes, just an amazing Japanese variety. Delicata Squash, cabbage, Bacon and Fuerte avocados, green and white aspargus.

I can’t stand eggplant and kale.

Some of my favorite fruits. Sumo mandarin, Meyer lemons, cotton candy grapes, persimmons both Fuyu and Hyachi, Soursop but is really hard to get, nice and ripe Jackfruit, yellow dragonfruit so much better than the regular variety, green mangoes Keitt and Kent. There are other good varieties but some are really hard to get. And of course pineapples and all the berries.

For some reason I don’t like Guava and can’t get past the smell of Durian.

Of course there is so much more other good stuff.