Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

why do people think you can be healthy at every size?

Options
trulyhealy
trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
that can’t really be true if you’re fat/obese/underweight bc being bc if you were healthy you wouldn’t get fat

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    that can’t really be true if you’re fat/obese/underweight bc being bc if you were healthy you wouldn’t get fat

Well first there's the obvious logical non sequitur that even granting a healthy person won't get fat, it doesn't follow it means they can't be underweight.

The rest does seem to be just begging the question about how to define health. Do you have independent reasons to say a healthy person could not become fat or obese? I'm not even sure what it means to say be fat.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »

a person can be heavy and have healthy biometrics - meaning - healthy blood pressure. cholesterol in a healthy range. glucose levels in a healthy range. great resting heart rate etc etc etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spiffy90 wrote: »
    Well its more the case of people getting offended or at the very least getting on the defensive if you try and hint that they should change their lifestyle.

I would venture that the large majority of overweight people are NOT healthy ... ofc I guess they can be called 'currently not sick' if you just screen them on a bunch of tests but that doesn't mean that they don't have a considerably increased chance of heart disease / hyperglycemia / whatever else.

"Overweight" is a fairly broad category, including people who may just be 10-15 pounds outside of a healthy weight range. That the large majority of these people aren't healthy is a claim that I think requires some kind of support.

Even so, if the large majority were not healthy, it would still follow that a small percentage of them were healthy and the claim in the OP (that someone *could* be healthy at any size) would be accurate. After all, there is no statement in the claim about percentages.

If you don't define "healthy" as "currently not sick," what do you define it as?