February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    We run together, and I run pretty fast for a 50-54 yr old woman, but that generally means we are middle of the pack or lower for men in the same AG. He can physically run faster than I can, but it brings on the asthma almost every time.

My wife takes her rescue inhaler 30 mins before runs. Maybe that would help him?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    We run together, and I run pretty fast for a 50-54 yr old woman, but that generally means we are middle of the pack or lower for men in the same AG. He can physically run faster than I can, but it brings on the asthma almost every time.

My wife takes her rescue inhaler 30 mins before runs. Maybe that would help him?

Yes, he already does this, and it helps, but it only helps up to a certain point.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Lazy_Bones_1985 Great job! I will mail you some Nuun to help you celebrate. ;)
  • Lazy_Bones_1985
    Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks...and no thanks. :)
    @Lazy_Bones_1985 Great job! I will mail you some Nuun to help you celebrate. ;)

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart The lake looks like a beautiful place to run! Good job!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@MobyCarp You amaze me with the paces and races you run. Have you been a runner all of your life?

@quilteryoyo

The smartass answer is, "Not yet."

The honest answer is that I started running in August 2011 at the age of 55. I found a program similar to C25K. The first workout called for intervals of walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes. I walked 1 minute, ran 1 minute, and was compelled to slow to a walk. That's where I came from. After injuring myself on my way to my first half marathon, twice, I got some formal training and made it to my first half in April 2014. I kind of accidentally ran my first marathon at Buffalo on Memorial Day weekend, 2015; if I hadn't run Boston the year after that, my running buddies might have killed me for wasting a qualifying time.

So that's 4 years and 8 months from not being able to run more than 1 minute, to completing my first Boston Marathon. Others may have developed faster, but that was good enough for me.

Absolutely amazing! Just one question, how do you "accidentally" run a marathon?!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Lazy_Bones_1985 super job on the 15K! I do the Peachtree Classic 15K every year just south of Atlanta. That is a fun distance. As for going all out at the end, maybe more racing will get you in the mindset.

The push at the end is not actually something we all do. Many of us talk about the "final kick" but I have been to enough races, and hung around at enough finish lines to know that many many people do not do this. Based on my completely unscientific study I think that the majority of people actually do not.

Those trying to place in age group, those going for a pr, those trying to beat a specific person or persons, and those trying to win the race likely make up the lion share of the people that do. In other words, most of the people doing the kick are doing it for a specific competitive reason.

So honestly, I would not worry about it. Run the race in the way that works best for you, and all will be good. :)

I find myself getting caught up in the energy of the finish line and generally try to finish fast, but it's because I enjoy doing it, no other reason. I sometimes feel a little silly putting on a "burst of speed" from the middle/back of the pack, but if anyone's judging, that's their issue.

I do, but that is because I figure I'm going to rest after the race and I can give it everything I've got left as I come in to the finish. It probably shaves off only a few seconds, though.