Women in their 40s!

Replies

• wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Today is one of those days I am bored of thinking about food. I am bored of the taste of morealess everything I eat. I am bored of feeling too full. I am bored of feeling delighted with myself for eating 'good ' . Today I would just like to have a nice day , have a nice walk , see some nice people and generally appreciate all that I have without a layer of food thought.
    I know I look after myself well so there is no reason to think too much about it today
    See how it feels later!!
    Go well everyone x
  • gridirongrrl
    gridirongrrl Posts: 69 Member
    Give yourself a mental break if you need one! We all do every now and then!

And I second and third those of you who say after work is the worst! That’s when I’m most likely to want a snack.. or 3! I’ve been trying to put what I know I’ll be eating for lunch and dinner into the app in the morning so that when I get home I know exactly what kind of leeway I have for snacking but the struggle is real!!
  • Hi all...im 45 and let me tell you..every year and it gets harder and harder to lose for me. Its like i eat practically a tic tac a day and boom 15lbs. I swear the hormones we deal with before the change, thats what is doing it..not fair lol i will and am continuing to fight on..day 6 of low carb...50lbs, first goal target by july 1
  • wearefab
    Hope everyone is feeling good.
    I chose not to track today and might not tomorrow. Been.pretty sick with headache and body pains and dizzy weak!
    Probably could have done with fasting to help the body heal bit eventually hunger had me making a salad with salted nuts, fish and rice followed by Apple. Way too much food actually.
    Did walking and a restorative yoga pose.
    Hoping to sleep it off and feel great tomorrow
    Setting the alarm for a 6am coffee and bike ride 😀
    Go well everyone x
  • dtp17
    dtp17 Posts: 27 Member
    Hi all. 48 year old here from UK so just about in the 40s age group 🙈 struggling to find motivation so need all the butt kicking everyone can muster please 🙂
  • Hi everyone, I’m 45 and have been struggling the past 2- years to keep my weight off. I have gained 15 pounds since last summer . I really would love to loose before this summer. Please add me and any tips out there please feel free to share with me . I would love to know them .
  • OCDOD
    OCDOD Posts: 21 Member
    You all are already inspiring me to be better at this :-) I am 42 and I have about 30 pounds to loose. I’ve had a lot of difficulty losing and have tried a lot of different diets. I have heard that women our age need to lift more weights. I have been trying to do this. I think some of my extremely slow weight loss may be due to muscle building. How have some of you done with this approach?
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks for the thread.

I am 48 and in the UK, I lost 19kg (41lb) a couple of years ago, but it's creeping back on, so I need to knuckle down and stay in deficit for a bit.

It would be great to have some more friends who are active now, most of the ones I had before have gone really quiet! I have a open diary.
  • wearefab
    OCDOD wrote: »
    You all are already inspiring me to be better at this :-) I am 42 and I have about 30 pounds to loose. I’ve had a lot of difficulty losing and have tried a lot of different diets. I have heard that women our age need to lift more weights. I have been trying to do this. I think some of my extremely slow weight loss may be due to muscle building. How have some of you done with this approach?

Hi yes there is a thing called Sarcopenia which everyone gets - muscle loss as we age. Muscle burns energy so the less we have on the body, the less energy we burn! Also lifting weight does great things for feelings of wellbeing, confidence, bone density, and brain function! So its really worth it!

Dont be put off by 'lift heavy'. Getting to do weight 45minuts 3 times a week at a moderate load is a great start - or do you lift already?

I actually think the keys to a healthy weight at our age are:
    1 - get enough sleep at normal hours eg try to be in bed by ten
    2 - get rid of everything you possibly can that causes unwanted stress
    3 - work on your own psychology so that stress brushes off
    4 - Learn how to breathe correctly and deeply (does wonders for stress reduction)
    5 - hydrate

Stress hormones will effect the nervous system, brain function, sleep, hormonal and neurotransmitter status, and has a knock on effect on appetite and general coping in life. By our age, stress cumulates and most people have a thyroid or estrogen or insulin or pain problem (most unknown!)

OH YOUR Q! Yes muscle can definitely make it look like (on the scale) you are not losing weight. The onky way to know is to get a bodyscan once a month (measures bone, water, muscle, fat), or get someone to measure your body fat in the best way they can.

Sometimes doing too much can halt weight loss eg calorie deficit and training hard. The body thinks its under a survival situation and slows metablism. So be realistic about what you are doing, could you be pushing too hard? What happens if you go easy for a week, get enough sleep and avoid stress?

Go well everyone! I havent tracked today but had a lovely stress free day (ish!) and ate veg and salmon and nuts and fruits and lots of coffee and friends! Gym and walk too.

x
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    edited February 2019

I am also in the same boat. I am turning 49 this year. Also is training hard and try to eat below. Cycling to be precise. I can feel the muscles starting in my legs and upper arms. They do not show much yet. And only lost 1kg in 2 months. I only want to loose about 3kg still. Been struggling. :'(
  • dtp17
    dtp17 Posts: 27 Member
    I think the hardest thing for me is motivating myself to get exercising again. I used to do a lot of running and also gym classes but this time of year when it’s dark going to and from work really doesn’t help.

But. That said. I’ve eaten better today and I swear it’s down to being accountable via this app and community. So all good. Just got to get back to exercising now.
  • goo927
    goo927 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi everyone!
    In my 40’s. Looking for support. About 8 years ago I lost over 100lbs- I still try and eat well and exercise, but over the last year I’ve really been struggling, I’ve gained about 40lbs and I binge eat. Would love to make some friends so we can support one another.. I am unaware how to add friends, would appreciate if someone could tell me how.
  • wearefab
    goo927 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    In my 40’s. Looking for support. About 8 years ago I lost over 100lbs- I still try and eat well and exercise, but over the last year I’ve really been struggling, I’ve gained about 40lbs and I binge eat. Would love to make some friends so we can support one another.. I am unaware how to add friends, would appreciate if someone could tell me how.

Click on a person's username. If the page it goes to doesn't have the option to "add friend " then click on the username or photo again and it will on the next page.

Binging sucks. I've been there and probably will again at some point. My best strategy is to have lots of healthy foods like raw veggies in dips (carrot pepper broccoli with hummus for instance ) or fruits and go overboard on that , and to fill up on veg salad protein fat fibre at each meal.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    anyones free to add me ... i'm 45 :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2019
    wearefab wrote: »

Hi yes there is a thing called Sarcopenia which everyone gets - muscle loss as we age. Muscle burns energy so the less we have on the body, the less energy we burn! Also lifting weight does great things for feelings of wellbeing, confidence, bone density, and brain function! So its really worth it!

Dont be put off by 'lift heavy'. Getting to do weight 45minuts 3 times a week at a moderate load is a great start - or do you lift already?

I actually think the keys to a healthy weight at our age are:
    1 - get enough sleep at normal hours eg try to be in bed by ten
    2 - get rid of everything you possibly can that causes unwanted stress
    3 - work on your own psychology so that stress brushes off
    4 - Learn how to breathe correctly and deeply (does wonders for stress reduction)
    5 - hydrate

Stress hormones will effect the nervous system, brain function, sleep, hormonal and neurotransmitter status, and has a knock on effect on appetite and general coping in life. By our age, stress cumulates and most people have a thyroid or estrogen or insulin or pain problem (most unknown!)

OH YOUR Q! Yes muscle can definitely make it look like (on the scale) you are not losing weight. The onky way to know is to get a bodyscan once a month (measures bone, water, muscle, fat), or get someone to measure your body fat in the best way they can.

Sometimes doing too much can halt weight loss eg calorie deficit and training hard. The body thinks its under a survival situation and slows metablism. So be realistic about what you are doing, could you be pushing too hard? What happens if you go easy for a week, get enough sleep and avoid stress?

Go well everyone! I havent tracked today but had a lovely stress free day (ish!) and ate veg and salmon and nuts and fruits and lots of coffee and friends! Gym and walk too.

x

Yes, yes, yes to everything in this post. Lifting weights or high impact training is important to keep our bone and muscle mass at our age. But stress management and adequate sleep are just as important. I would dare to say adequate GOOD sleep is the #1 thing you can do for your health (mental and physical).

As far as losing slower due to muscle development, yes that can certainly happen, which is why the scale should only be one measure of success. Also take measurements, progress photos and see how your clothes fit. Don’t be too concerned with the number if you look and feel how you want to.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    I totally forgot how much I love this thread. Carry on everyone. I love reading your posts and I know we can all accomplish our goals.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Hello, I new to this thread. I turned 43 in Jan I have lost over 25kg and need to loose another 6. I have come to a stand still in my weightloss I think it's to do with some pressure I am going through. I'm getting it under control so hopfully I'll b back losing again.
    It's great to hear and ready other people stories, thanks for sharing xo
  • wearefab
    So I decided to take a few days off from tracking again and I am enjoying that. I am still eating healthful foods and exercising.
    I hardly ever get hungry because I am always stuffing my face, and this is something I would like to work on.
    I am still meeting goals of only one bread at a time (in fact Ive swtiched to brown rice this week), and no diary, and im getting to the gym or yoga or cycling. And im not lying in too mate even when I stay up too late!
    But now I will start working on this over feeding!
    Im not sure how! But it hurts to be so full so often...even if it is only apples and healthy stuff!
    I guess the fullness stops me from pigging on crap though.
    So my goals for tomorrow are to make a beet and carrot and apple and ginger juice!
    And to eat sensibly wothout overeating.
    When I track cals I quite often eat more and take myself up to burnt cals! I see that I have 400 left so decide to stuff my face and think its okay.
    I need to stop folling myself that over stiffing myself is okay.
    So my goal is to be real with myself and show no mercy!!!!