55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• ndargy1977
    ndargy1977 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @making_tracks WOW!!!!!! What an awesome story!!!! You look FANTABULOUS!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing, it's such a help to see others who have succeeded :)
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 you are transforming, thank you for posting the great job!! Re the too much exercising - have a friend who is early 70s and she exercises probably 2 -3 hours most days, (very inspirational like you) and has the best health of anyone I know.

Wow, it shows what can be done by sticking with it.
  • ndargy1977
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @springlering62 - what an amazing testimony!!! I'm close to your height, just a bit taller....5'8"....and I am shooting for 160. We seem to have the same small frame, and 167 looks great on you!!!!

I just turned the big 50 last September.....and am looking forward to being as fit and trim as you :) Thanks for the inspiration.............

Would you mind sharing what a typical day looks like for you food wise? I'm just wondering about the elimination foods actually.........I know we are all different, but I love ideas :) I've been struggling with getting 20# off for what seems forever You can private message if you'd rather :)

Nicole

• making_tracks
    making_tracks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @making_tracks...great job. Just wondering..how tall are you?
    165 cm - 5 foot 5”
  • making_tracks
    making_tracks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should say I was 96.5 kg (May 2018) and I’m now 70.6 kg. However, I’ve really changed my attitude towards scale weight. It’s just too misleading. Waist measurements, fat % measurements, blood pressure, or dress sizes are more helpful in my opinion.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's a whole lot of awesomeness going on around here. So nice to hear from you, @skytuner !
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome; great job and keep it up. Be mindful that you will fall off the wagon occasionally; just get back up and keep going!!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 Congrats to you! Your way of eating is mostly whole food plant based with exception of the chicken/fish. I find WFPB is the most satisfying and healthiest way to eat as it eliminates almost all health issues and keeps you full!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad to see this thread active again. So now I'm 60 and have been here for almost 4-1/2 years. I lost 70ish pounds and have kept them off, plus or minus a couple for 3-1/2 of those years. I don't really log much anymore - mostly if I've found something new. I suppose what I've learned the most here is veggies, veggies, veggies and exercise!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/mk2fit! And don't forget to watch the added sugar (in all its forms); we eat more than we think we do!
  • ndargy1977
    Options
    @springlering62 Thank you so much!!! I've tried Daves Killer Bread, but only once....I'll definitely be picking some up. You really gave me so many ideas, and I'm very thankful :)

Radishes?!? excellent idea with hummus!! I love them but never think about them!

What an excellent idea for the flavored balsamic vinegar for dressing!! I'm having a salad today for lunch, and just may try to find some!!

My dairy obsession is cheese....but I've been really trying to cut back. I portioned out 1oz in little cups for a quick snack.....if I don't I could eat triple or quadruple that amount, lol.....

again, thank you very much....I truly appreciate it :smiley:

Nicole
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and going through menopause now and can't seem to lose a pound. eating 1200 cal diet but can't exercise due to a herniated disk. I can walk though but it's freezing outside lol - I can't imagine that faithfully sticking to a 1200 cal diet does not let me lose weight - this sucks. I even got my thyroid tested - perfect. I am at a loss. If I can't lose a pound now what's going to happen to me on the other side of menopause? good luck with your struggle and please let me know what works!
  • skytuner
    skytuner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    kimirayray wrote: »
    I'm 53 and going through menopause now and can't seem to lose a pound. eating 1200 cal diet but can't exercise due to a herniated disk. I can walk though but it's freezing outside lol - I can't imagine that faithfully sticking to a 1200 cal diet does not let me lose weight - this sucks. I even got my thyroid tested - perfect. I am at a loss. If I can't lose a pound now what's going to happen to me on the other side of menopause? good luck with your struggle and please let me know what works!

I hope you can get some good advice/treatment for your disk problem --- I know what that's like! As well as the weather challenge. For me, I know that getting outside is not a good option if there is a lot of ice/slippery snow --- but if it is just cold --- layer up a bit, and keep your walks short. A little is better than none. If getting out or doing "formal" exercise is not possible, then do your best to avoid sitting (fitbit is good for that, with reminders to move).
    One does not automatically gain weight on the other side of menopause, so don't let that worry you. Do your best to eat according to your hunger and nutritional needs --- 1200 calories sounds like a bare minimum. All will be well, although your weight loss goals may be stalled. We are building our life and our bodies continually and menopause is another stage.

If I were to advise myself back then it would be to devote some time to meditation or other preferred methods of mindfulness or stress relief.
  • neeceelynn
    neeceelynn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @kimiraryray. ..try you Tube indoor walking exercise videos. There are many levels and they are a great alternative during the long winter months.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    @kimiraryray- try eating as many fruits and veggies as you can within that amount- You would be surprised esp. the low calorie veggies such as spinach, cabbage, string beans, etc- You can have been bowls for less than 100 calories etc. whole foods are the way to go when you only have liited amount of calories. Also you might change what you have set your loss t on mfp- I cahnged mine to lose .05 a week and I now have more calories to work with.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @kimirayray So, I exercise to youtube videos when the weather is really bad. BUT, snowshoeing is great as is just walking in the snow. I even run in the snow. No excuses just because winter. There are so many things you can do. Look for jessicasmithtv, lesliesansone, on youtube. While both are great for any age group, you may find one is a little easier on the brain than the other
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @kimirayray agree with @debtay123 about changing or at least checking your stats in MFP. How tall are you and how much do you have to lose? Maybe you've set too aggressive a loss for your height and current weight. You want to fuel your daily activities even though you're not able to exercise very strenuously.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!