JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Right guys need meal advice, i just got in a temper and threw my dinner in the bin...
    But now im hungry again, and the only things ive got are gonna be carby? Like pasta, bsked potato or bread.

Wwyd? Try find a healthy option (i dont fancy the half wilted salad in the fridge LOL)
    or just accept the situation im in and have a damn potato but limit the damage?

What's the issue with carbs? Do they tempt you to overindulge?

Also potatoes ARE healthy. The skin is a great source of fibre, which is very important for health.

Many carbs are actually healthy. Examples:

Bananas
    Fruit in general (unless you eat an absolute ton of it, and also it has to be fruit not fruit juice as fruit juice has had all the fibre mashed out of it)
    Root vegetables like carrots
    Oats
    Whole grains

You might find this article interesting:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/good-carbs-bad-carbs#section2

It confirms that potato is a good carb :smile:

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,103 Member
    Options
    They bloat me like a b!tch LOL

Also, generally speaking i do much better diet wise wihout them, whether thats to do with my thyroid (because that affects the metabolism ovef my whole body) i dont know but cutting out things like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta just seem to help!

They tend to make me feel sluggish
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Right guys need meal advice, i just got in a temper and threw my dinner in the bin...
    But now im hungry again, and the only things ive got are gonna be carby? Like pasta, bsked potato or bread.

Wwyd? Try find a healthy option (i dont fancy the half wilted salad in the fridge LOL)

That was my question - what's behind the new no carb routine? I think I must have missed where you talked about that - is there a particular reason for it?

If you have calories left for potato and only have potato or other carbs, I'd eat the potato. At the end of the day it's calories that impact whether you lose weight or not. Cutting down on carbs can help to eat fewer calories (because they generally contain more carbs, can impact your blood sugar, and fullness can wear off quicker), but really a calorie is a calorie. And if it's 8.30pm and the alternative is going to bed hungry, I'd say eat the damn potato if you can do so and be in the green!

Plus, potatoes are awesome. They are my third favourite food in the whole world. (The top two are cheese and ice cream, FYI).

You didnt miss anything, i just decided on the spot LOL
    didnt even offer up an explanation!

Oh man i love potatoes
    I especially love potato skins with bacon and cheese

pnmmns5kn3eu.jpeg
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @Bex953173

Do you have frozen fish portions/fingers or similar and frozen veg if you want to avoid more carb options? Tinned tuna and something? Don't go to bed hungry!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wednesday 27 February

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    Walk before work :)
    January challenge :)
    February challenge :)

The scale has been messing with me recently and I was beginning to question the accuracy of my logging but perhaps, despite using the Happy Scale app, it was just fluctuations. Today the tend seems to be about what I'd expect. I'm eating a bit below maintenance and slowly moving back from the the top of my maintenance range towards the lower end. March has a number of celebratory meals and a short break to celebrate my parents 60th wedding anniversary so I want to be at the lower end of maintenance so that I feel I can relax during the celebrations!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options

That was my question - what's behind the new no carb routine? I think I must have missed where you talked about that - is there a particular reason for it?

If you have calories left for potato and only have potato or other carbs, I'd eat the potato. At the end of the day it's calories that impact whether you lose weight or not. Cutting down on carbs can help to eat fewer calories (because they generally contain more carbs, can impact your blood sugar, and fullness can wear off quicker), but really a calorie is a calorie. And if it's 8.30pm and the alternative is going to bed hungry, I'd say eat the damn potato if you can do so and be in the green!

Plus, potatoes are awesome. They are my third favourite food in the whole world. (The top two are cheese and ice cream, FYI).

Potatoes ARE awesome.

hosx78qckf8s.png

Did you know that they're supposedly the most satisfying food? Don't remember if that's per ounce or per calories.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    @Bex953173

Do you have frozen fish portions/fingers or similar and frozen veg if you want to avoid more carb options? Tinned tuna and something? Don't go to bed hungry!

See, with having kids you would think so! But j had nothing like that!
    I just had some cheese on toast!
    The bread is a seeded and ancient grains loaf? So atleast its not white bread!

Tbh, i dont mind the carbs in other stuff like bananas and that,
    Are the carbs in bread and rice anc pasta called complex carbs?
    I cant remember!

• bookmeister86
    Options
    @Bex953173

I cant remember!

They can be, according to the article I found:

Although carbs are often referred to as "simple" vs "complex," I personally find "whole" vs "refined" to make more sense.

Whole carbs are unprocessed and contain the fiber found naturally in the food, while refined carbs have been processed and had the natural fiber stripped out

Examples of whole carbs include vegetables, whole fruit, legumes, potatoes and whole grains. These foods are generally healthy.

On the other hand, refined carbs include sugar-sweetened beverages, fruit juices, pastries, white bread, white pasta, white rice and others

I've heard many times that with regards to bread, pasta and rice, the wholemeal/brown versions are healthier whereas the white versions definitely fall into the refined carbs category.

It's a shame the white versions are so much tastier.... (Can't stand brown rice! The pasta is ok though)
  • bookmeister86
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Probably not going to have time in the morning so checking in now....

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :smile:
    - Be in the green :smile:
    - 4 bottles water :smiley:
    - No alcohol :smile:
    - Run to work :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :smile:
    - Savour every bite :/
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :smiley: Big win on this one, talked myself out of having a bigger snack pre-french as I realised I was craving it for an energy pick me up rather than due to hunger. I chose to have a sweet (low cal) drink instead
    - Give myself credit! :smile:

- 30+ minute lunch break :/ No, only grabbed ten minutes and this had a very negative effect on me
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :/ Definitely didn't do two, might still get the chance to do one or I might just prioritize relaxing, French was pretty terrible after a manic day and I feel I've had enough, although I also feel like I'd like to finish the day on a positive note with it. We'll see
    - Gratitude journal :neutral: I will try to make the effort to do this
    - Lights off by 11 :neutral: As per gratitude journal....

Tomorrow's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Make and stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol
    - Exercise DVD (first thing)

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 1h of breaks within day (30/15/15)
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Finish work by 7pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: Around 440 in the green

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,401 Member
    Options
    My weight has gone up and up this month. Trying to stop the stress eating and get back on track. Exercised this morning and did a green blender think for am but still ate too much today so far. Will be glad when we start March, Feb has been a wash. Too much Na and off course foods.
    Is there a March challenge?
  • Bex953172
    Options
    JSorry to heaf youvd had a rubbish month! Baby steps!
    Tbh i cant belive were getting into March and the exercise equipment I got at Christmas is still in its packaging!!
  • frenchfancy2014
    frenchfancy2014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Keep going all of you. One step at a time.

JFT
    PapersOrganise
    Post documents
    Tax return
    Exercise
    Vacuum
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    They bloat me like a b!tch LOL

Also, generally speaking i do much better diet wise wihout them, whether thats to do with my thyroid (because that affects the metabolism ovef my whole body) i dont know but cutting out things like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta just seem to help!

They tend to make me feel sluggish

Carbs turn to sugar which when they are eaten, gives us that rush of
    Feel Good/Comfort...Only to bring on the sluggish discomfort when the
    sugar level drops.Starches turns to sugar...is.. Provokes diabetes... At least
    that's what a nutritionist told me... Carbs exist in mostly everything we eat and
    even in drinks.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 ...sorry for cutting in on the conversation. Forgive me.
    Sister....It's sometimes difficult to pinpoint what causes our weight
    to want to live with us like that mooching relative that only shows up
    for holidays, income tax, and crash your parties... Lol…. JK😂😍
    The best way that I find to help me, I've said it before... Listen to your body.
    It does give us signals that we tend to ignore for whatever reason. You're
    doing a good thing Bex👏👏👌
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    @Bex953173

I cant remember!

Complex carbs are starch and fiber. Simple carbs = sugar. Sugar metabolizes fastest; that's why it can cause spikes in blood sugar, and why parents talk about kids being on a "sugar high" when they're running around with seemingly endless energy after eating an entire chocolate rabbit. Not that I would know anything about that...

Starch breaks down slower, but I think it's still quicker than protein or fat. Fat's your classic slow-burn energy release. That's what helps many people find success with lower carbs and higher fats in the macros; increasing fat while decreasing carbs helps people stay satisfied for a longer period of time because it doesn't "burn off" as fast.

This is off the top of my head; y'all feel free to call me out on anything I got wrong.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm car.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Print simple sentences worksheet.
    3. Class 1-2: Select groups for poetry project. Simple sentences worksheet. Winter Sundays, Love Is Not All. Fill out graphic organizer for sonnet. Create Works Cited for sonnets. Homework: Creativity. NOTE - if they can finish the graphic organizer AND have correctly-formatted Works Cited entries, no homework tonight, Thurs, or Mon.
    4. Planning: A - FINISH LITERARY REVIEW. B - Grade classwork. C - Enter grades. D - Blog post - poetry lesson. Finalize sub plans for Fri/Mon and PRINT. Have C. check them to make sure they make sense. Add poetry organization document to Classroom?
    5. Class 4: Grammar - compound sentences. Chromebooks - Fill out research organizers. Homework - compound sentences practice.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Park run - aim for 3.25 miles. Read 10 pages of Capital.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Comment on 2 blog posts. SUBMIT LITERARY REVIEW.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads THURSDAY.

JFT Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm up the car if needed.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Put first directions on board. CREATE MISTAKE FILLED DRAFT.
    3. Class 1-2: Put books at tables (1). Get computers. Begin poetry selection. Create Works Cited and fill out graphic organizer.
    4. Planning: A - Gratitude journal. Review plans. B - Grade homeworks. C - Enter grades. D - Comment on 2 blogs.
    5. Class 4: Check printouts. Medal of Freedom research - find sources, copy-paste info, and create Works Cited.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Run? Leave by 5:00.
    8. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Fri lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    Today: 189.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Feb 7 12:00 w new. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for FTN (Feb?) Audition for Avenue Q March. Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

Hopefully I'll get more done but I have spent four hours on the stupid literature review that is STILL not finished and I'm down to 20% battery which means I may not get anything posted tomorrow morning. So here ya have what I've got so far.
  • LCorwin429
    LCorwin429 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Struggling:
    I gave up wine it's been almost2 months but I still want to even though I don't. I gave up junk food, fast food & going out to eat.
    It's been a struggle not to go back to old habits
    I still crave sweets& still hunting for something to
    Eat when I'm upset or depressed 😞 I do have 1 frnd I chim in from time to time, she's supportive
    & That's good 😊. But at times ik I'm having a hard time & cry myself to sleep. Because weight process is very difficult at this point & I feel I'm on my own at times. I'm trying to give up breads or at least cut it down but that is another week spot for me. Giving up so much at once is alot & big step
    Try to keep a journal but not every day like I should
    Try to post exercise when I can or do them, I always remind myself ( more I eat, harder I have to exercise more) idk just going through it all is a struggle & difficult on my own& keeping everything in or to myself not ez.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,385 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    nlmackey98 wrote: »
    [

JFT Wednesday
    -Up at 3:30 (okay 1 snooze 3:39) to go to the gym. Its the only way everything fits. :)[/b]Holy hell it's early/late. I know I've come home from bars later than this, not I'm waking up this early to work out. Go figure.[/b]
    - Shower and tidy up a bit. :)
    - Dogs to daycare me to work by 8:00. :)/:( I got the dogs there and I was on schedule to make it to work, but realized I forgot my meds this morning and had to go back. Its not that big a deal I live 5 minutes from work. In ~8:10
    - 1L Water before soda. :)I had three bottles of water before 7:00
    - Breakfast protein bar and fruit. :)Not skipping it like I did yesterday.
    - Random work stuff :)
    - Lunch under 300 cal :) but Cafe was out of grilled chicken
    - No junk food :smiley: I’m still amazed I made this one. I had no appetite but I craved sugar
    - No high sodium foods. I weigh in tomorrow :) Sort of. Very emotionally raw today no appetite
    - Cut out early to go walk :) much needed hour of peace. I even threw in some running segments.
    - Church/Youth Group at 6:30. I think my girl will be out of the hospital and at church tonight. :) It was so good to have her back, and very difficult to open up to her.
    - Eat dinner within cal goal :( Skipped dinner
    - In bed by 10:00 :( it’s 10:30 now so probably 11:00, but I get to sleep in until 6:15 tomorrow

JFT Thursday
    - Get up at 6:15. Drop dogs at 7:30. Work by 8:00.
    - Weigh in for work challenge
    - Protein bar & fruit for breakfast
    - Chinese for lunch - moderation
    - Leave work by 4:30
    - Hilly hike/walk/run to find peace
    - Dinner under 600cal
    - Bed by 10:00

Have a happy Thursday y’all. Make yourselves proud.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options

My goals tomorrow again ... simple
    1. get to the gym. :)
    2. log all food :)
    3. mindful eating :)
    4. concentrate on drinking more water. I don't know why this is still so hard for me to do! :/
    5. going to quilt meeting tomorrow evening ... no snacking :)

Today was hard ... I am hungry and discouraged. I know I should not weigh myself, because I get really down if I don't lose. But ... no giving up this time

JFT, Thurs
    1. log all food
    2. if we do not get ice.. get to the gym
    3. concentrate on water
    4. mindful eating

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible night’s sleep again and gave up at 2:50. I’ve done some work and now having a pre-workout coffee. My big run yesterday left me with a very tight and sore hamstring so not sure how I will get on this morning but I figure I’m up so I may as well try! My older daughter is recovered from her stomach bug but the little one badly sprained her ankle yesterday son not sure how we will get her to school today. Lots of low-level stress but I need to stay determined. Junk eating won’t fix any of it!

Wednesday goals recap:
    - morning run ✅ yes! Over 5 miles again
    - Prep morning sessions for cover teacher ✅
    - Morning planning session: sort reply to J, ❎some work on digital resilience programme ✅and confirm party arrangement for P✅
    - Online grocery shopping?❎
    - Put away laundry ❎
    - Bed by 9:30. ❎

Thursday goals:
    - morning workout
    - Finish lesson 4 on digital resilience ✅
    - Online grocery shop
    - Early to work - finish lessons 5 and 6
    - See SLT re J email
    - See office staff re workshop invoice
    - Print and trim for next week
    - Put away laundry