So now I’m being told Keto is the only effective way to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I remember a work colleague who wanted to lose a few pounds and said she'd heard of a fabulous new diet where you could eat as much fatty food as you wanted and you'd lose weight, as long as you didn't eat vegetables because they would make you put weight on.......well, she did just that and in no time at all she'd gained 5 pounds.
    It's not what you eat, it's how much lol

LOL ditto what you said!!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    lin_be wrote: »
    Keto has worked for a lot of people! It’s an easy restrictive diet because you can substitute a lot of high carbohydrate foods. And protein and fat are yummy to eat!

The biggest problem I have with keto is that after you’ve lost your weight and want to eat like you did before, you gain because your body just naturally retains water when eating higher carbohydrates (not fat). And then they tout that carbs are the devil “because they made me gain”. I feel like there’s certainly a lot of fat loss from keto (calorie deficit) but the extra losses are just water.

This is the big problem with Keto and other restrictive diets. If someone is not going to eat Keto for life, then it is not a very effective long term weight loss solicitation. There are a lot of stories of people losing on Keto, but almost as many of people gaining it back when they stop doing it. So I think for most people, unless they genuinely like the Ketogenic way of eating and feel like they could continue with it long term, it is better to just moderate intake of the foods you like to eat, so you can sustain it better once you lose the weight.

I agree. I am going to be on a high protein, moderate fat, low carb diet for the rest of my life. It is not even be a diet at this point, it is already a life style.
  • kzshelbi
    kzshelbi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    absolutely not.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Some people enjoy keto and find it an easy way to stick to their calories. Some don't.

It's certainly not the only effective way to lose weight.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Does that fit with your experience of the world? Have you ever seen people you know lose weight without being on keto? Are you aware that people have gained and lost weight for as long as there have been people, and certainly long before the keto diet was a thing? Have you googled "successful weight loss" and looked at information from reputable and credible sources?

Whoever told you this is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts. If they tell you the sky is purple with green polka dots, you do not have to ask the internet for their opinions on the subject. Sometimes it's okay to just tell people who say something demonstrably wrong that they're talking out their *kitten*.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’m at goal weight and a healthy BMI again (lost around 30lb to get here and 80lb my first time around) I have never been keto
This discussion has been closed.