March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7, I never really thought about it compared to a fox or a wolf but it makes sense. My daughter's lab loves playing in the snow too but he isn't out in it the way Kody is.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yikes.. I'm a bit behind on my reading here ... I'll try to catch up...

I just popped in to ask a diet/ running question. A friend of mine has recommended intermittent fasting to try to lose weight ... But I'm starting to work towards marathon training (32 weeks away yet!) So I'm tempted to try until I get nearer to the more intensive training.... So I'm wondering if anyone here has used IF while running? Was it help or a hinderance?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @kristinegift I'm totally down for whiskey & girl scout cookies! At one time the On CloudVenture used to be my favorite trail running shoe. It felt like I was running in slippers with great traction. I'm not sure what happened but now I find them pretty spotty. Sometimes I enjoy the shoe, sometimes I feel the "pods" too much under the ball of my feet. I used to be all in on those but now I don't know that I'd buy another pair. Strange how it would change. Even when I loved the trail shoe though, I never liked their road shoe. I don't like how the pods feel on pavement.

@7lenny7 I am not a fan of the pods on pavement either. Though apparently they have hard pods and soft/responsive pods, and I'd like to try the latter as we only stock the former type in stores unfortunately. As for the changes to the trail shoes, I think since they're still a relatively new company, they're making significant changes with each update to their shoes, which makes it hard for customers to be sure each updated model will be a perfect fit. I'm trying to make my current pair of Ventures last until my 50k in July but eeeek.... we'll see if I manage that!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Yikes.. I'm a bit behind on my reading here ... I'll try to catch up...

I just popped in to ask a diet/ running question. A friend of mine has recommended intermittent fasting to try to lose weight ... But I'm starting to work towards marathon training (32 weeks away yet!) So I'm tempted to try until I get nearer to the more intensive training.... So I'm wondering if anyone here has used IF while running? Was it help or a hinderance?

I cant comment on IF because in my opinion its just a method to reduce calories, it is not a magic diet. And some people find IF doesn't work because they binge during their "window" which doesn't give a calorie deficit. It really depends what works for YOU. Personally I can't run on and empty stomach. I usually eat my last meal/snack what ever around 7pm (if I allow myself snacks after that, I find I'm just snacking out of habit, not actual hunger, but I'm asleep by 9pm most nights). I get up at 5:30am to run, and I need a banana or something in my stomach otherwise I just don't have the energy and feel like crap. I personally would never do IF, because I prefer to eat smaller snacks more frequently. Diets are a very personal thing. But at the end of the day, to lose weight, you simply need to eat fewer calories than you use. IF is one method to do that.

As far as losing weight and training, many of us train while in calorie deficit, though tend to go into maintenance about a month out from the event, and even allow extra in the week before because you need fuel for your body to do a marathon. So you need to stock up your glycogen stores. This causes a couple of kg weight gain right before the event but helps you get through. You have to decide what is more important, a race well run (which requires fuel to achieve) or just complete, even if you feel like crap.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Morning all.
    5k run this morning. Leg feels the same, no better no worse. The massage and stretches are definitely helping short term, and its less sore than a week ago, but about the same as a few days ago. Its doing my head in deciding whats up.

the strange thing, or maybe this is normal, is it feels way better AFTER my run than before. From what I've read, if it were shoes, it would feel worse after a run? I really honestly think its tight calf muscles from ramping up too fast. Or am I just trying to convince myself that? And the ache is the same no matter what shoes I wear - regular walking shoes for work, or bare feet on the beach. Actually I went for a walk last night on the beach in bare feet and that really caused it to hurt.

I think one of the reasons I'm frustrated is I really want to buy myself a new stand mixer. I do cakes as a side business from home. My current stand mixer was a cheap k-mart one that doesn't keep its speed. I currently have enough money from a couple of commissions to afford a really good, near top of the range stand mixer that should last me the rest of my life, and has good features without being over the top (basically all the things I would use, and nothing I wouldn't). BUT if my shoes are the cause, then I'll need to use some of the money toward the shoes, and get the next model down. Which is a great basic model, but doesn't have a couple of things I would really like. I don't NEED those features, I can do what I do without them, but they really make life a lot easier (scraper paddle being one of them). So because I'm an adult, I have to try and decide, more expensive mixer and wait a couple of months till I've saved enough again for new shoes and persevere with current pain levels when it may or may not be shoes causing the issues. Or be a sensible person, get the more basic model and get new shoes. I have till Tuesday to make up my mind, because the sale on the mixers ($200 off each one - best price ever on these mixers, I've checked) ends then...

Basically internet, help me adult please!
  • Avidkeo
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    I am so far behind in this chat it's not even funny! Yikes it's a busy start!

Thanks to the 100mile challenge I did in Feb I am now firmly in the habit of getting up early to get a run in! It's great... I actually feel brilliant and even the down days are not half as bad! I missed Monday morning as it decided to snow on Sunday night so it would have been a little icy on Monday morning... So training for the Dublin city marathon started on Tuesday!

01/03 - rest (finished the 100 mile challenge yesterday and my ankle is not happy with me so taking a bit of a rest)
    02/03 - was meant to go spinning but ended up doing a load of chores instead!
    03/03 - again, should have been spinning but instead ended up rearranging a few rooms and tidying the attic
    04/03 - snowed last night so bit icy out!
    05/03 - 3.87km/96.13km FINALLY! i honestly didn't see me getting a run in any time soon
    06/03 - 4.23km/91.90km was actually nice and mild out this morning, hard to believe there were patches of ice on the pavement yesterday!

So myself and a friend have decided to join a 1000km in 2019 challenge now! So I guess given there's 10 months left I'll have to average 100km a month for the rest of the year!

Have decided that I will start training towards a marathon in October! They release more spots in July so I'm thinking I'll just start working towards it and see where I'm at by the end of June. If all is going well I'll sign up!

So, long story short, I'm in for 100km

@Sparx_81 remind me again, if you don't mind sharing, where about's in the world are you? ETA d'oh never mind. Ireland bahaha
  • saramagd
    saramagd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    3/3: 3.1Km
    4/3: 12.2Km
    6/3: 4.0Km

Total: 19.3Km
    Total to go: 48.7Km
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all.
    5k run this morning. Leg feels the same, no better no worse. The massage and stretches are definitely helping short term, and its less sore than a week ago, but about the same as a few days ago. Its doing my head in deciding whats up.

the strange thing, or maybe this is normal, is it feels way better AFTER my run than before. From what I've read, if it were shoes, it would feel worse after a run? I really honestly think its tight calf muscles from ramping up too fast. Or am I just trying to convince myself that? And the ache is the same no matter what shoes I wear - regular walking shoes for work, or bare feet on the beach. Actually I went for a walk last night on the beach in bare feet and that really caused it to hurt.

I think one of the reasons I'm frustrated is I really want to buy myself a new stand mixer. I do cakes as a side business from home. My current stand mixer was a cheap k-mart one that doesn't keep its speed. I currently have enough money from a couple of commissions to afford a really good, near top of the range stand mixer that should last me the rest of my life, and has good features without being over the top (basically all the things I would use, and nothing I wouldn't). BUT if my shoes are the cause, then I'll need to use some of the money toward the shoes, and get the next model down. Which is a great basic model, but doesn't have a couple of things I would really like. I don't NEED those features, I can do what I do without them, but they really make life a lot easier (scraper paddle being one of them). So because I'm an adult, I have to try and decide, more expensive mixer and wait a couple of months till I've saved enough again for new shoes and persevere with current pain levels when it may or may not be shoes causing the issues. Or be a sensible person, get the more basic model and get new shoes. I have till Tuesday to make up my mind, because the sale on the mixers ($200 off each one - best price ever on these mixers, I've checked) ends then...

Basically internet, help me adult please!

Get the better mixer that will last. The shoes are a question mark, but if you are investing in one-in-a-lifetime equipment, don't go for the lesser model if you don't have to. You said the nicer model has all the things you would use and nothing you wouldn't. I say that's the sensible option, not the step-down that you might end up wanting to upgrade the next time you have the cash.

I second this. You're not entirely sure the shoes are the issue and from what you've said (and my own experience) I would lean far more towards the cause being tight muscles and ramping up too fast. Plus, I vaguely remember these are shoes you've worn before, albeit a new 'edition' of them? Not entirely new brand or model or anything? So I would have thought it would be strange for them to cause such big issues.
    Plus you know you will regret not getting the mixer you really want in the long run.

I third this.
    You'll go through plenty of pairs of shoes.
    Your top of the line mixer will last you a lifetime.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Get the good mixer! It's more sensible and adult to buy one thing that you need than a cheaper thing that isn't right and needs replaced.

Also, since you say your calves feel better after running, I have to ask: how much pain are we talking? Because some soreness after doing new work is normal. DOMS can be really uncomfortable, but it's not an injury.