Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am in love with IF. I have successfully lost 75ish lbs and continue to lose/maintain. I usually do a 16/8 fast, but am a nurse so on days I work it may vary a bit depending on when I am able to sneak away to eat. IF has helped me realize food is not the most important thing in life and has given me my life back. I am so incredibly thankful for that. As of right now, I have zero intentions of ever stopping IF.

good for you girlfriend!
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    I love bacon 🤣🤣🤣

Bacon for President!!!
  • lleeann2001
    Options
    fung has been debunked by many and I have been fasting more than 30 years not 3. and even times when I wasnt fasting and yes there were times. it made no difference in my health or anything else weight loss wasnt any different(providing the calories were the same). as long as Im eating in a deficit I lose weight whether IM fasting,not fasting,when I did keto(bad for me) or any other way of eating.

fasting works for me because Im not a breakfast eater and never really was. the meal timing of IF works for me. like I said I have gained,lost and maintained fasting. same with not fasting. I have several health issues and IF made no difference in those things. as for watching the video no thanks as I see fung is associated with it and again has been debunked and proven to be false

What does Fung teach basically about Intermittent Fasting? I thought he was Pro Fasting....my little mind is confuuused
  • Heathe_r
    Heathe_r Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dumb questions:
    Does fasting include anything with calories? Or does it mean eliminating all solid foods?
    A more specific example-
    If I only drink a keto shake, is that considered fasting or no?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Heathe_r wrote: »
    Dumb questions:
    Does fasting include anything with calories? Or does it mean eliminating all solid foods?
    A more specific example-
    If I only drink a keto shake, is that considered fasting or no?

No - that would be a fat fast but not a true fast - a true fast means eliminating all calories.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome! I’m doing IF too. It really works not to mention lowering my blood pressure too. I’ve lost 5lbs in 5 days. Keep it up! Great job!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @120poundstogo, we have an Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP. Find it and stop by. Hope to see you there.
  • lorywthay43
    lorywthay43 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto & IF
    March 15th finishing day 3
    Trying to do 20:4
    Somedays might be 18:6
    I want to lose 50 pounds.
    I want to feel better! Have energy!
    Get rid of my edema & inflammation!!!
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @lorywthay43, wishing you the best in your exploration of IF. Stop by and visit our Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP. Several there are doing IF feeding windows you’re considering. I have a journal there that I post daily. A lot of helpful IF-enthused practitioners who would love to be a resource to you.

Hope to see you soon.
  • kwilke710
    kwilke710 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in IF and am looking to start - BUT - my usual lunch break is 12:30 or 1pm. Do I need to start with a meal or could I start with a high protein snack at 11?
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do IF but I don’t believe it is responsible for my weight loss because I also did IF when I was 300lbs. I have always done it naturally since I’ve never been one for breakfast and more often than not I would wait until about 5pm to eat and then eat all evening, meaning I was eating far too much. I do believe calorie intake is the issue and that’s the case whether they are consumed over 12 hours or 4 hours.

I’m currently experimenting with keto — don’t think it’s for me long term but I’m eating one meal per day and trying to get most of my calories in that one meal. That suits me as I like to eat late on but as I said earlier, you can get the same amount of calories from 1 meal as you can from 3.
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    garlo12 wrote: »
    @Sweeetypie1I didn't think you could fast when you are diabetic. So this worked for you? I'd like to try IF but I am diabetic and (type 2) and need to lose weight but don't want to have issues with sugar spikes and lows if I''m not eating

IF is the best thing for a Type 2 diabetic I have been doing it for the past two years because my blood glucose was out of control and my weight, I lost 30lbs. Because I take insulin shots and pills I asked my Doctor would it be okay to do IF because of the Insulin shots and if I didn't eat a meal did I still have to take a Insulin shot or take my pills, he had never heard of it, so I had to explain what it was and he said to go ahead and try it and if I didn't eat a meal like (dinner per se) I didn't have to take my Insulin shot. I do the 16:8 method and I feel absolutely wonderful IF is the best thing that has happened to me. I went back for my check up and when my doctor got my lab results he was so happy and proud of me, he called me the next day to tell me, my A1C went down 4 points and I had lost about 20 lbs. at that time. The next time I went to the Doctor my A1C went down another point (every day BS readings have actually been in the normal range or just a little above) and my Dr. told me he told some of his other patients that were having trouble regulating their blood sugar to try IF, I was so proud to have helped my Dr. with something. It works because at about 12 hrs. of fasting your body uses up it's glucose for energy and every hour after that you're still fasting your body uses fat for fuel, that's why some people may do a 18:6 or even OMAD method to get as much fat burning as possible before they break their fast. In order to really utilize this for weight loss you still have to eat in a calorie deficit, it's just easier because you are truly not hungry all the time and when you do eat you get full quickly. I found this guy on youtube last year, his site is called Flegefitness and he is fantastic and very knowledgeable and he can answer every question you have about IF. I said all that to say this you should definitely give IF a try. My weight loss has stalled because I haven't been eating in my calorie deficit all the time or even most of the time, I still do IF every day and it has kept me from gaining most of my weight back. Now to get back to losing. :)

Thanks for this insightful post. I did start IF and I feel great. I thought I might experience some low blood sugar episodes, but I haven't really. I'm doing mostly 16:8 now, sometimes 18:6 - but it's working. I keep my calories around 1200-1400 a day, and eating very healthy. I've lost a couple of pounds, but it's only been a week. I will be very curious what my A1c results are after doing this for three months. I'll let you all know!
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,554 Member
    Options
    I swear I don't know how you all do it. I have tried IF a few times and before 12 hours are up I am starving, and most of those are spent sleeping. I can't imagine going 16 or 18 hours without eating. There must be something that I'm missing.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @hobbitses333, congratulations on the progress you've made and being a witness for IF. Enjoy when you visit and share at our Intermittent Fasting group; keep marching forward.

@garlo12, that's wonderful what you've been able to accomplish with your diabetes and nice to learn that IF was a contributory tool. Haven't bumped into you before. Why don't you consider stopping by our Intermittent Fasting group and sharing your achievement. You're a seasoned practitioner and we'd love to be graced by your cyberspace presence. In case you don't know, here's how you find us:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

@sweeetypie1, great for you too; we'd also enjoy a visit.

Everyone sharing here who has had success, IF practitioners and others, keep marching forward in your fitness, health and wellness journey.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don’t think IF is some miracle, as ultimately I still fee it comes down to CICO. But if it works for you then you should definitely go for it. For me the claimed benefits of IF have intrigued me, specifically the cognitive sharpness piece. I have started it a few days ago as a little experiment. The one thing I’ve noticed is that if you are eating highly nutrient dense foods, it can be really difficult to get your calories in on a 18/6 model. This is why I think people find some quick success on the weight loss as you are creating higher deficits. I am going to do it for a couple weeks and see if the cognitive benefits are as powerful as people say, as that’s the true reason I am doing it as my weight loss journey has been plugging a long as planned.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    @dgil1975, hope you share your IF science experiment testing mental clarity but am sure you know it’ll be perception based and,therefore, subject to measurement error. Because, there’s deception un perception.

Welcome your sharing at our Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP and wishing you the best.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!