Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So I have a question - and I'm not looking for solutions to my ailments here. I'm wondering if I'm correct in my assumption that my extra weight is causing these ailments...
    I experience daily neck, back and ankle (just one ankle) pain on a daily basis. I've been to doctors trying to figure out what's causing it. I've paid hundreds of dollars for good pillows for my neck. I've gotten massaged $$, I take CBD oil daily, pop ibuprofen when it hurts too bad to endure (hate that), etc... Yet I keep coming back to the same possible reason - I am 50 lbs overweight. Could that be causing all this body pain I didn't used to have? Have any of you experienced the same?
    I feel like a hypochondriac and it sucks. I hate feeling this way at age 43. :(

I am about 40lbs overweight and have really bad knees. I went to see my orthopedic surgeon and see what I could do. He is an old military man and told me that the only way to get the damn pain to lessen and get where I didn't hurt all the time was to get the weight off and exercise more. He also told me to find the motivation and do it. He is a little cranky but always honest with me. The extra weight causes strain on joints that are weak points in our body: back, ankle, hip, and knees tend to suffer the most from the extra weight. Just take it one day at a time and get moving. Hope this helps.

It makes perfect sense. I've got to stick to a schedule and keep moving. Thanks. :)
    So I have a question - and I'm not looking for solutions to my ailments here. I'm wondering if I'm correct in my assumption that my extra weight is causing these ailments...
    I experience daily neck, back and ankle (just one ankle) pain on a daily basis. I've been to doctors trying to figure out what's causing it. I've paid hundreds of dollars for good pillows for my neck. I've gotten massaged $$, I take CBD oil daily, pop ibuprofen when it hurts too bad to endure (hate that), etc... Yet I keep coming back to the same possible reason - I am 50 lbs overweight. Could that be causing all this body pain I didn't used to have? Have any of you experienced the same?
    I feel like a hypochondriac and it sucks. I hate feeling this way at age 43. :(

Sadly, I can say that getting the weight off may not help the neck pain. I think it has more to do with posture and how you carry your stress. I have a desk job and all my tension goes to my neck. I've been working really hard to fix my posture and stand more during the day. Massages and stretching help. I had one point where it was so bad all the time I could barely sleep. I went to a chiropractor that does ultrasound and he did ultrasound and massage on my neck everyday for a week. It was so much better after that. I've never gotten to that point again thankfully.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the neck issues are from my desk job. Really sucks.
  • kenkel4
    kenkel4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kenkel4 wrote: »
    Me! I started in Jan 2018 at 179. I am now at 134. It’s totally worth it so keep going.

That's awesome! How did you do it?

To those of you who keep coming back, I'm with you on that. I keep coming back hoping this week will be better. I'm so sick of carrying around this extra weight. So sick of hating what I see in the mirror. So sick of the random pains I'm experience which have no explanation (neck, back, ankles).
    Is it really possible to lose weight without starving ourselves + running our bodies into the ground exercising?

First, the neck pain. I was having lots of issues before I lost weight and then had more after losing about 30 lbs. But....,they are finally better and I think my body just needed to adjust to the changes and I needed different exercise. I do Pilates and exercises suggested by my chiropractor; I also take cbd oil and use a cbd ointment on where I hurt when that happens ( which is very rarely now). To lose I eat a very low calorie diet with almost all of it being fruits and vegetables. I do eat one meal with meat and an egg a couple times per week. This is how I lost. I’ve been not so good lately, but it works and I hope to eat that way for a long time.
  • KristinaJeanPhD
    KristinaJeanPhD Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just turned 40, have about 15 to lose. Feel free to add me!
  • victoriaingram670
    victoriaingram670 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ! My name is Victoria and I’d love to have some supportive fitness pals 👯
    I just started a work weight loss challenge yesterday and I welcome any and all tips to make it the 12 weeks and further.
    Please add me anyone who would like the same support !
    Victoria
  • suzyqmelbourne
    suzyqmelbourne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes please.
  • suzyqmelbourne
    suzyqmelbourne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Susan from Melbourne. Started a few days ago with Phetermine which is making me slightly crazy I think. Want to lose 45lbs by July 1. Two beautiful kids (don't want to be behind the camera forever) and I want to love clothes and shopping again. Oh and not die too young. I just passed the 30 mark for BMI and hate the word obese. A lot.

Please add me as a friend so we can help each other stay motivated.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Susan from Melbourne. Started a few days ago with Phetermine which is making me slightly crazy I think. Want to lose 45lbs by July 1. Two beautiful kids (don't want to be behind the camera forever) and I want to love clothes and shopping again. Oh and not die too young. I just passed the 30 mark for BMI and hate the word obese. A lot.

Please add me as a friend so we can help each other stay motivated.

Hello! I’m 41. The part about being behind the camera hit home for me. I haven’t taken a full body pic of myself in a year that I would share with anyone. Makes me sad for my son. I want him to have pics of all of me if that makes sense. I have decided to try keto as low carb feels easiest & most enjoyable for me. Thanks for sharing your story.
    I’m in Texas. :)
  • springsweet
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How's everyone's week going?
    My hubby was out of town for about 2 weeks dealing with a death in the family. And for some reason, I just didn't feel like exercising during that time. I'm trying to get back into it now though. I worked out during lunch yesterday. Still... it always feels like I'm starting over. :(
  • mruggby
    mruggby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49, and my goal is to look and feel good when I hit 50. I'm down 6 pounds so far, and I've started adding in walking and weights a few times a week. I track my food obsessively. At the moment, I'm feeling motivated, but I know I will need all the help I can get!
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    How's everyone's week going?
    My hubby was out of town for about 2 weeks dealing with a death in the family. And for some reason, I just didn't feel like exercising during that time. I'm trying to get back into it now though. I worked out during lunch yesterday. Still... it always feels like I'm starting over. :(

I feel the same way. If I stop just for day it seems like I am beginning all over again. I am on a no exercise order from the doctor until Monday and it is going to be so hard to start again. Good luck and keep pushing through. (Sorry for your loss)
  • rainydayhappy
    rainydayhappy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find the exercise and healthy eating much harder mid menstrual cycle? (I’m guessing like ovulation time?) I’ve only just clocked this looking at my mfp graphs, but for those two or three days the exercise is really tough going while I’m doing it and I really just want to eat biscuits after the salad 🙈
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find the exercise and healthy eating much harder mid menstrual cycle? (I’m guessing like ovulation time?) I’ve only just clocked this looking at my mfp graphs, but for those two or three days the exercise is really tough going while I’m doing it and I really just want to eat biscuits after the salad 🙈
    l

Yes, TOM started Feb 7; hasn’t stopped. They keep giving me diff hormones but it won’t stop :( I’ve lost almost 30 lbs since November sooo my wires are clearly messed up. I go in weekly for lab work, fortunately only my iron was initially low but is up now. Just exhausted by dealing with it.

• springsweet
    Options
    Does anyone have a diet they successfully have followed? Not like a fad diet or anything, but meal examples please. I need serious help. Thx.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a diet they successfully have followed? Not like a fad diet or anything, but meal examples please. I need serious help. Thx.

It all depends on how you like to eat. I prefer a lower fat, higher volume, frequent meals over a low carb, high fat diet. A good rule of thumb if you don't want to actually weigh and track is a lean protein the size of your palm, a complex carb the size of your fist and two fistfulls of veggies. An palmful of nuts or 2tbsp oil per day. That would be for 5-6 meals a day, but if you only eat 3, then you could double up.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Here's an example day of what I would eat when trying to lose weight.

pp9bblir4u6a.jpg
  • springsweet
    Options

It all depends on how you like to eat. I prefer a lower fat, higher volume, frequent meals over a low carb, high fat diet. A good rule of thumb if you don't want to actually weigh and track is a lean protein the size of your palm, a complex carb the size of your fist and two fistfulls of veggies. An palmful of nuts or 2tbsp oil per day. That would be for 5-6 meals a day, but if you only eat 3, then you could double up.

I really don't know. I started to say low carb, high fat is more appealing but the truth is, I've been trying to lose weight for so long and been unsuccessful, I just want to eat however is best for my body to lose weight. :(
    I do know I have to cut out ALL alcohol, ALL fried foods, ALL sugar (within reason)... Seems as if I need to be a drill sergeant if I want to see any results.
    I really don't know how to do this, but I'm so sad and uncomfortable in my own skin every single day.
  • springsweet
    Options
    Here's an example day of what I would eat when trying to lose weight.

pp9bblir4u6a.jpg

This helps, thank you!