The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    The weekend is here. My MD Terps are playing in the basketball tournament at noon so I am sure wherever we end up watching, the drinks will be flowing. I am armed with my knitting project to keep my hands busy. Have a happy Sober Saturday, Friends. <3

Go Terps! Hope they win! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @RubyRed427
    I had 120 days AF this past July-December 10th. Then, I thought I could moderate and drank a few glasses of wine which turned into a binge for the day and then the most wicked hangover. Since Dec. 10, I have been dabbling in wine here and there.... because once I broke the streak, it has been so difficult for my brain to go back to my rigid way of thinking. While I was AF, I told myself it was non-negotiable that I would not drink. And I kept that streak going and it became easier and easier. I was really satisfied being a non-drinker. Then, BAM, I broke the streak and haven’t gotten it back.

I had a 75-day streak AF, did exactly what you and others describe ("I feel so great! One drink could never destroy this feeling!") and ended up consuming I-don't-even-want-to-think-about-how-much one evening. Everything seems simpler to me now, somehow. I just don't drink anymore. It took a long time to make peace with this simple idea. Not, "Someday I might," or "One day at a time," just: "I don't drink anymore."

And if I put any other substance in place of alcohol, it would sound just ridiculous. "Apples disagree with me, they significantly increase my chance of cancer, reduce my productivity, fundamentally alter my personality and cause me to lose control of my full cognition but... you know... APPLES! How could I give up apples?!" It is beyond absurd.

It is not fear of drinking anymore for me, however. It is gratitude for how fabulous this time (minus one spectacular fall off the wagon) has been. Yes, I've lost weight. But I've also gained confidence, my artistic and spiritual life have blossomed, and I feel aligned in every other part of my life. This rather small thing -- drinking -- was putting me out of alignment and preventing the whole machine from operating as it should.

Love your comments. Drinking does put us out of alignment - well said. “I just dont drink anymore.” Great mantra! Xo
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Good afternoon friends! MFP was messing up for me the last couple of days and the little "reply" box wasn't there. Seems to be good today.

I feel like I've been struggling lately. It didn't help that one of my husband's friends brought some wine and uncorked it at the house. But I stayed the course. I've felt irritable and angry but I assume (and hope) it hasn't showed.

Today was a little different. I had an epiphany...I am grieving! I had a long relationship with alcohol and I feel the lack of it's presence in my life. Even though it was a dysfunctional relationship, I find that I'm missing how reliable it was. I'm not kidding myself, I also know alcohol was never a true friend and would throw me under the bus in a heartbeat. But it makes sense to grieve. There will be denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance. And not necessarily in that order. I've been through several stages and I think I hit the anger one last week. It's a process. - Just knowing this somehow made me feel better. This is a phase and it will not last. And I will NOT let it bring me down.

I miss you alcohol, but not enough to get back together with you!!

Many hugs to you all!! My mantra today is "Create a great day!" And I wish the same for you.

YES YES YES...It is grief and it is a process. It is an entirely new way of being and loss is a huge part of the process, but like you said this too shall pass. Recognizing the stages as you go through them will definitely help you to cope with the loss and reassure yourself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I could SO relate to this post. Thank you for the reminder. <3

I also was having trouble with reply box not being there in the past couple of days...the only thing that showed at the bottom of all the comments was the date...the Quote, Like, Inspiring etc was not there either. When I scrolled to the bottom of the last comment where it now says, "You can use BBCode in your post", there was a indicator saying "sign-in" and something else I can't recall, so I clicked on "sign in" and it restored the reply box etc....weirdness, but it happened a couple of times.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Everyone else is probably in bed and I'm definitely getting ready. Another AF Saturday night in the books. Even when I order water at a restaurant, I typically look at the cocktail menu to 'see what I'm missing'. I chose not to tonight bc why bother.. Even if I'm unsure about the whole forever part, that probably wouldn't help it.. Nice day with the fam.. Hope you all had a nice Saturday as well

YAY on another Sober Saturday...sweet dreams and a well-rested, no-regrets day tomorrow <3
  • MountainLaurel787
    MountainLaurel787 Posts: 45 Member
    @Yellowstone1983
    Way to go on another Saturday night AF!! I understand your struggle and you are not alone. I believe it ebbs and flows. Just a week ago I was pleased with how easy it all seemed. And then it wasn't. But it's temporary. It's how we handle the urges during those times...and you did a great job tonight. It WILL get easier and better. One day at a time... <3
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    The weekend is here. My MD Terps are playing in the basketball tournament at noon so I am sure wherever we end up watching, the drinks will be flowing. I am armed with my knitting project to keep my hands busy. Have a happy Sober Saturday, Friends. <3

Knitting and tea has been a huge help when drinks are flowing. What are you planing on knitting?

- Sally