Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Thank you. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Low carb potentially an opioid alternative for osteoarthritis pain.

Related from last year:
    Here's an interesting blog post by James Crownover worth reading: The Ketogenic Diet and Chronic pain
    Take Home Points

1. Metabolic syndrome is associated with increased pain sensitivity
    2. Caloric restriction, fasting, and the ketogenic diet have been shown reduce pain in animal models
    3. A possible pathway for ketosis decreasing pain is by increasing adenosine
    4. Another possible pathway is inhibition of the NLRP3 Inflammasome
    5. The ketogenic diet may be an effective intervention to improve chronic pain

On a personal note, one of the reasons I still maintain a fairly strict low carb diet is because of this. I had no idea how bad I felt before low carb (6 months into eating proper food, exercising and losing 42lbs I thought I felt pretty great). But I was going through a large 150/200 count bottle of ibuprofen every single month - that was so normal for me I didn't realize how much pain I was experiencing. And I didn't notice the absence of that pain until I had three unopened bottles of ibuprofen stacked up because I kept buying it out of habit not noticing I didn't need it any more.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm with you on that. I had easy carb food the other day and a chocolate bar when stuck at a hospital. I walked like a cripple. It took 3 days to improve.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Extended Ketogenic Diet and Physical Training Intervention in Military Personnel

Conclusions: US military personnel demonstrated high adherence to a KD and showed remarkable weight loss improvements in body composition, including loss of visceral fat, without compromising physical performance adaptations to exercise training. Implementation of a KD represents a credible strategy to enhance overall health and readiness of military service members who could benefit from weight loss and improved body composition.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Science Daily: Neanderthals' main food source was definitely meat
    Metro: Cavemen’s diet really did just consist of eating meat, researchers claim

new research has shown that actual cavemen ate meat and pretty much nothing else. Researchers analysed teeth left over from our ancestors and found out that they liked to snack out on things like reindeer and horse. And that’s about it. There were some occasional plants, of course. But mostly just other animals.

Study first author Dr Jaouen said: ‘Using this technique, we discovered that the Neanderthal of Les Cottés had a purely terrestrial carnivore diet. She was not a late weaned child or a regular fish eater, and her people seem to have mostly hunted reindeers and horses. ‘We also confirmed that the Grotte du Renne Neandertal was a breastfeeding baby whose mother was a meat eater.’ Dr Michael Richards, of the Simon Fraser University in Canada, said: ‘Previous isotope results indicated a primarily carnivorous diet for Neanderthals, which matches the extensive archaeological record of animal remains found and deposited by Neanderthals. ‘There has recently been some frankly bizarre interpretations of the bulk isotope data ranging from Neanderthals primarily subsisting on aquatic plants to eating each other, both in direct contrast to the archaeological evidence.

Source: Exceptionally high δ15N values in collagen single amino acids confirm Neandertals as high-trophic level carnivores
  • AlabasterVerve
    Weight loss, improved physical performance, cognitive function, eating behavior, and metabolic profile in a 12-week ketogenic diet in obese adults.

The 12KD resulted in decreased appetite, significant weight loss of participants (-18 ± 9 kg men vs. -11 ± 3 kg women; P < .001), decreased emotional and external eating (P < .001 for both), increased body image satisfaction (P < .001) and improved physical performance (P < .001).

Biochemically, a significant drop in glucose (P = .026), and a significant increase in LDL-cholesterol (P = .031), CRP (P = .007), and BDNF (P = .035) were observed in the first 2 weeks; then, all listed parameters returned to baseline. On the other hand, a significant reduction in insulin (P < .001) and leptin levels (P < .001), and a significant increase in adiponectin (P = .008) and NPY (P = .009) were detected throughout the duration of the 12KD.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Metabolic Abnormalities in Normal Weight Children Are Associated with Increased Visceral Fat Accumulation, Elevated Plasma Endotoxin Levels and a Higher Monosaccharide Intake.

In total, 45 normal weight children aged 5⁻9 years were included in the study, of whom nine suffered from metabolic abnormalities.
    Despite similar total calorie and macronutrient intake between groups, mean total fructose and total glucose intake (resulting mainly from sugar sweetened beverages, fruits and sweets) were higher in children with metabolic abnormalities than in healthy children. Time spent physically active was significantly higher in healthy normal weight children whereas time spent physically inactive was similar between groups. Furthermore, bacterial endotoxin levels were significantly higher in the peripheral plasma of normal weight children with metabolic abnormalities than in healthy normal weight children.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Virta partners with the VA. "That’s it people: #Keto is now mainstream medical practice."

• AlabasterVerve
    edited April 2019
    Reversing Type 2 Diabetes: A Narrative Review of the Evidence

Evidence exists that T2D reversal is achievable using bariatric surgery, low-calorie diets (LCD), or carbohydrate restriction (LC).

Source
  • nvmomketo

Evidence exists that T2D reversal is achievable using bariatric surgery, low-calorie diets (LCD), or carbohydrate restriction (LC).

Source

I wonder when the ADA will finally whole heartedly recommend lchf as the best diet for t2ds? Hopefully behind surgery or living on vlcd meal replacement shakes. yuck.
  • AlabasterVerve
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Source

I wonder when the ADA will finally whole heartedly recommend lchf as the best diet for t2ds? Hopefully behind surgery or living on vlcd meal replacement shakes. yuck.

It's about money not science - in my admittedly jaded opinion - so as soon as it's more profitable to recommend would be my guess... and we are surely reaching that tipping point given the VA is looking to trial keto to save money.

But will it matter? My guess is not a lot considering the ADA and similar are still to this day pushing out this BS and industries full on campaign to change the global food supply. It would be nice if at least government and non-profits (who should at least pretend to have peoples best interests at heart) stop actively harming the population though.
  • nvmomketo
    Yikes. What was their simple recipe twist? Add more sugar?
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member

Source

I wonder when the ADA will finally whole heartedly recommend lchf as the best diet for t2ds?
    Why would they recommend it when there is zero evidence that LCHF is the best diet for T2D?
    Hopefully behind surgery or living on vlcd meal replacement shakes. yuck.
    Yup, that's your only options when it comes to diabetes. How about weightloss, regardless of diet, and exercise.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member

Source

It's about money not science - in my admittedly jaded opinion - so as soon as it's more profitable to recommend would be my guess... and we are surely reaching that tipping point given the VA is looking to trial keto to save money.
    Umm, no. It's about evidence, and there is no evidence that LCHF is the best diet for T2D.
    But will it matter? My guess is not a lot considering the ADA and similar are still to this day pushing out this BS and industries full on campaign to change the global food supply. It would be nice if at least government and non-profits (who should at least pretend to have peoples best interests at heart) stop actively harming the population though.
    So someone with diabetes can't enjoy a homeade scone? It's not like they are recommending a diet of only scones.
    Would love to see the evidence of your lovely little conspiracy theory you are pushing here that non-profits and the government are actively harming the population.