Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OMG this thread has been the best thank you OP! :smiley:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had my own just now. To make a new batch of my keto fat bombs, I frantically searched among the scraps of paper in my home, then among the hits of internet searches, then after pretending to remember how I did it I put all the ingredients in the bowl and only then updated my myfitnesspal recipe for my keto fat bombs.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Just remembered a recent "Duh" moment.

Made myself a coffee. Had my cellphone on the kitchen counter. Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and saw the cream still on the counter. "Huh, thought I'd put that back in the fridge!" and proceeded to do so.

About an hour later, I couldn't find my cellphone. Looked everywhere for it. My daughter called it from her cell, and I could hear it ringing faintly from somewhere. It took her calling it about 4 or 5 times before I could zero in on its location, because everytime I got close, it would stop ringing, and it wasn't loud to begin with.

Yup, it was in the fridge. :D

That's because you knew it would get butter reception! :D

Ice cream'd when I found it!
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    a few days before my wedding, i threw out 200 dollars in the garbage.
    i still haven't lived that down! :D
    *and yes i had to go through the filth to get it. thank god it was in an envelope*

That reminds me of the time I thought I threw out my ID card that gets me into the building at work, and my friend and I went back to the restaurant, asked to search through the trash, blah blah blah, no luck...and later that day found the card in my jacket pocket. Doh!
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yall, dont feel bad- I repeatedly try to open the front door of my house with my car's key fob :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    oneillm45 wrote: »
    I've torn open a sugar packet before, thrown the full part into the bin and the torn-off corner into my coffee.

I also had a terrible habit as a teenager that if my parents were out for the day, they'd leave a chicken or a roast in the oven and ring home at a certain time to ask me to turn it on. We'd chat for a minute or two, I'd put down the phone, walk into the kitchen and then completely forget about the oven.

I've parked at a train station halfway along my usual route and forget to get off the train there on my way home.

But I think my worst moment was when I worked in retail and told a customer his total was 10.36, before realising I'd just read him the time.

I have owned my current house for about a year, and for some reason haven't figured out how to change the time on the oven, which was way off, or set the timer properly. (I know I could look up how to do it, but just haven't gotten around to it, and in my old place I never used the timer anyway.) Instead, I look at the actual time and then keep track or, sometimes, if I am working in the kitchen anyway, I just look at the off time on the oven and add 20 min or whatever for when I'll check on the food cooking.

Multiple times I have looked at the time, thought "okay, starting time at 4:25" and then when I looked again "wait, still 4:25 -- why?" Immediately followed by "oh, oops, I looked at the temperature!"

Hard to believe I'm actually a functioning adult sometimes! ;-)

I may be able to change your life here.

If you have an iPhone, just push the little button and say, "Timer 25 minutes." Siri will set off your reminder ring tone for you. I don't know how I ever cooked without an iPhone.

However, in the spirit of this thread...when I say, "Timer 25 minutes," sometimes Siri will say, "You already have a timer running," and I will have no idea what that first timer is timing.

Also, sometimes I get up and turn off the timer and never do the thing I was supposed to do - because I use that timer so much I think I'm becoming habituated/numb to it. There have been a few crisp potatoes...:neutral:
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've torn open a sugar packet before, thrown the full part into the bin and the torn-off corner into my coffee.

I also had a terrible habit as a teenager that if my parents were out for the day, they'd leave a chicken or a roast in the oven and ring home at a certain time to ask me to turn it on. We'd chat for a minute or two, I'd put down the phone, walk into the kitchen and then completely forget about the oven.

I've parked at a train station halfway along my usual route and forget to get off the train there on my way home.

But I think my worst moment was when I worked in retail and told a customer his total was 10.36, before realising I'd just read him the time.

I have owned my current house for about a year, and for some reason haven't figured out how to change the time on the oven, which was way off, or set the timer properly. (I know I could look up how to do it, but just haven't gotten around to it, and in my old place I never used the timer anyway.) Instead, I look at the actual time and then keep track or, sometimes, if I am working in the kitchen anyway, I just look at the off time on the oven and add 20 min or whatever for when I'll check on the food cooking.

Multiple times I have looked at the time, thought "okay, starting time at 4:25" and then when I looked again "wait, still 4:25 -- why?" Immediately followed by "oh, oops, I looked at the temperature!"

If you have an iPhone, just push the little button and say, "Timer 25 minutes." Siri will set off your reminder ring tone for you. I don't know how I ever cooked without an iPhone.

However, in the spirit of this thread...when I say, "Timer 25 minutes," sometimes Siri will say, "You already have a timer running," and I will have no idea what that first timer is timing.

Also, sometimes I get up and turn off the timer and never do the thing I was supposed to do - because I use that timer so much I think I'm becoming habituated/numb to it. There have been a few crisp potatoes...:neutral:
    I have an iphone, ipad and apple watch and used to frequently use all three plus my oven timer when cooking. But once i got confused about which was which and ended up with dry, rock hard rice and meat that only LOOKED cooked. Now i set different alarms on my phone with names for what is what. “Hey siri, set an alarm for 530 for beef.” as an example. I haven't made such an awful timing error since at least. Just can’t trust my brain anymore. 🤪
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Definitely trying this. Thanks!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Nearly every time I use my car, I try to open the door before I have unlocked it.
    This only really started regularly a few months ago but it has definitely settled into it's own routine. Yay.
    It's great cos you totally look like a car thief when you try the door and it doesn't open
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    One time my husband were at a diner at some early hour(or late depending on how you think about it), something around 2am. Anyways our food came and I got french fries with my sandwich. I reached over and grabbed what I thought was salt and started shaking it on my fries. I thought about how odd the salt shaker was, why is it so big? I then realized I had grabbed the sugar shaker by mistake and dumped it all over my fries. :/

Not gonna lie, that actually sounds appetizing right now. I'm weird.

Yeah, I didn't see a problem with it either. Maybe with some cinnamon too?
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    In the same vein, our car has a remote starter. Perfect for those brisk Canadian winter mornings so you can heat up the car and get the defrosters going before you go out.

Can't tell you how many times I've then hopped into a nice, warm car, put my seat belt on, put it into reverse and then had the engine stop because the keys weren't actually in the ignition. :s
  • snickerscharlie
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Oh, and I've also used the garage door opener remote to try and start the car. Thought the car's battery was dead. :p

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    my cousin just posted on facebook that the car she has had for 2 years has remote start and she never noticed...And she is a very smart woman. It happens to all of us.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Nearly every time I use my car, I try to open the door before I have unlocked it.
    This only really started regularly a few months ago but it has definitely settled into it's own routine. Yay.
    It's great cos you totally look like a car thief when you try the door and it doesn't open

When my car was brand new (this was back in 2008), I met some friends at a theater in the suburbs, with the plan to drive them home. My car (both model and color) is quite common around where I live. After the play, I led my friends to where I thought I'd parked and pointed out my car and opened the door (I have a no hands electronic key). They were at the doors waiting to get in when I realized it was not my car, just one that looked like it. I shut the door and we quickly backed away and then I saw my actual car nearby and we made our getaway.

I guess out in the 'burbs not everyone locks their car.