Yup. Hit Scream Weight.

Replies

• jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    My stats are similar. At 5’5’’ I always maintained in the low 120s. After some physical ailments caused reduced activity, the scale kept creeping up. And I kept mostly ignoring it. When I finally got on the scale and it said 145, my heart stopped. That’s only a few pounds shy of overweight, and only 1 pound below my highest pregnancy weight! It spurred me into action. I’m now 137 and counting down.
    You got this!!
  • heatherk360
    heatherk360 Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks for the mention of the book, "Refuse to Regain". I've been in maintenance for about a year but it seems like it's a daily challenge for me mentally. I'm on chapter 1 of the ebook, can't wait to read the rest. Knowledge is power!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    darn it, I feel for ya! it happens all too easily but you know what to do...mind you sometimes its easier said than done.

All the best for getting back to your happy weight range.

Ruth
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    @nowine4me
    I appreciate your vulnerability and level headed positivity. It may be a ‘scream’ weight but scream doesn’t have to mean panic. Scream can mean harnessing the frustration, and making the next right nutrition move.
    This, too.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    You will handle this! You have done so well and this is a temporary setback. You have motivated me many times by just reading about your journey and efforts. Hang in there! We all go through this.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    If you would appreciate daily accountability, I really like the Just Give Me 10 Days forum in the challenges category of MFP.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Totally get it. In maintenance for 5+ years. Hit my scream weight, which to me means that I have to get right back to my range. But I bypassed it. Now it's only a bypass by two pounds, but I know that slippery slope all too well. And it's really 5 lbs. in you look at the bottom of my range. AND it's been on for 4 months, so I know it's not going to be easy to lose. 5 lbs. over a range on a 5'0" lady is a lot. Been kidding myself for too long, so got started again a few weeks ago. You know what to do, as do I. I'm back to my weight loss calories, and it's coming off slowly. Refuse to Regain, as the book says. (Good book if you haven't read it.) Good news is that we all have been there and we all know that we need to be alert. Bad news is that I hope you don't beat yourself up. Get back on the horse ... it's lifelong journey for us!

@jrwms714 I also want to thank you for mentioning Refuse to Regain.
    I’m either at GW or close, mostly maintaining the past few months. And this book has some really great insights.
    My current manta is “Be on Offense, not Defense.” I used to call this, “Insure Your Success” but I like the concept of actively being on the offense to retain our new, great health! Worth fighting for. Thank you!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Good lesson for me.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 : You're welcome for the book. There are a few things that I don't agree with, but overall, it really speaks to me. I reread it when I am battling my range. She also has a blog that you can subscribe to, but it comes very rarely, which may even be a good thing. She is one of the few people who speaks to how I am choosing to do my maintenance over the past 5+ years. Enjoy!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2019
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure this forum has the best people in the world. I wish I could come hug every last one of you. Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Hugs!
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    Totally get it. In maintenance for 5+ years. Hit my scream weight, which to me means that I have to get right back to my range. But I bypassed it. Now it's only a bypass by two pounds, but I know that slippery slope all too well. And it's really 5 lbs. in you look at the bottom of my range. AND it's been on for 4 months, so I know it's not going to be easy to lose. 5 lbs. over a range on a 5'0" lady is a lot. Been kidding myself for too long, so got started again a few weeks ago. You know what to do, as do I. I'm back to my weight loss calories, and it's coming off slowly. Refuse to Regain, as the book says. (Good book if you haven't read it.) Good news is that we all have been there and we all know that we need to be alert. Bad news is that I hope you don't beat yourself up. Get back on the horse ... it's lifelong journey for us!

@jrwms714 I also want to thank you for mentioning Refuse to Regain.
    I’m either at GW or close, mostly maintaining the past few months. And this book has some really great insights.
    My current manta is “Be on Offense, not Defense.” I used to call this, “Insure Your Success” but I like the concept of actively being on the offense to retain our new, great health! Worth fighting for. Thank you!

Read the book. Good advice about being vigilant, but the "primatarian" diet might just be too restrictive in the real world.
    **edit** dr. Berkeley still insist that the insulin hypothesis to weight gain is correct.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Been there! Getting back on the wagon and losing the weight is always hard but after a few days it will feel normal again. The good thing is, you already know what to do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I recently reflected on my past of falling off my lean and mean pony (am now back on it) and wrote this:

“But, along the way, those who are part of my life must have seen a change taking place as my previous chisel was evaporating in thin air right before their eyes. Why didn’t they say anything? Were they in denial too? Or, were they trying to be my “friend” and not want to hurt my feelings? Talk about the weather or engage in small talk like, “How about them Raiders!”

I’m not sure but do know this, none of my “friends” or “acquaintances” said one word, their silence was deafening, to which I say, “thanks but please, no thanks the next time.”

Next time, please, tell me when my hair is on fire.”

Ah.... but would you have listened or perhaps been hurt by their comments? ;) I see folks around me who have fallen off the wagon at work (esp after lap band surgery or other types of very noticeable weight loss) and really think that it would be inappropriate to comment to them. Surely they already know. What would be the best way to help them?

This. I wouldn't dream of saying anything to someone to I know who has gained back noticeable weight. I've always figured that they already know, and that I'm just rubbing salt in the wound if I say "Hey, you gained the weight back."

I agree, I would never say anything either. We are all in different places in life. If someone who was previously chiseled and had the body of a greek god was starting to gain weight, I would never think to say something about it. For all I know, they just don't care anymore. There is more to life after all. Or even if they did care, surely they have a mirror and me saying something doesn't do any good.