April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @samthepanda I use silicone toe protectors on my super long middle toes, and haven’t had issues since. I used to get black toenails on trails when running downhill because my foot would slide forward inside my shoe. I keep my toenails cut to the quick and larger shoes slip on my heels, and a narrow width is too narrow on my forefoot. The toe protector made more sense than trying to find shoes which worked, and they also work in all my different shoes.
    I looked up which toe protectors I use and these are the ones. The small is perfect for my middle toes, the large would work for a big toe. They can be cut down with scissors to the right length, and are easy to keep clean. The only issue would be if you needed one on your pinky toe I don’t think they would be small enough. They don’t feel uncomfortable when on, I forget I’m wearing them. And unlike last summer when I had to paint fake toenails on my poor old nailless toes, going into this summer I have all my toenails. My husband has the problem of his toenails sliding under the next door toe and cutting it, and they work for that too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748B6VG5/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow, what wonderful advice!

@_nikkiwolf_ , thanks for the pacer research for the Vancouver half—that sounds like a great plan to look for the 2:15 bunny. And all the additional resources were really interesting! I’m still working up to the HM distance, but my long run pace is consistently in that range even as it lengthens and I generally run negative splits. Of course I don’t know how that will transfer to the half..

@Elise4270 and @kevaasen that advice to keep the first 9-10 miles no more than “comfortably hard” and make sure I’m not going all out until the last 3 or so. I will definitely try to have fun and take mental notes! :)

@PastorVincent Thanks for going through the various approaches! I have to say that I don’t feel a ton of ability to do many different paces on my own. If I think “take it easy” on my runs, my form generally feels better, my breathing is okish, but I can’t seem to slow down in a way that gets my heart rate much lower. And then when I’m done, I’ve ended up with negative splits again, which was the opposite of what I was trying to do. But if I do try to slow down by taking fewer steps or shorter steps, my form feels off and more tiring. I’m planning to incorporate more hills and speedwork into my training after this HM, and hoping I learn a lot!

My longest race has been a 10K so far—and that I raced, unlike most of the 5Ks I’ve done, which I’ve run with my kids at their pace. I did race my February 5K, but only figured I’d get to a steady pace by doing a 1/2 mile warmup before—my first mile is always slow (I have assumed this is normal?) Not sure exactly what happened as my Fitbit bit the dust and I never saw my splits, and there was a massive hill anyway right away. So, this discussion is all very helpful, thank you! Even if what I’m trying to do pace-wise doesn’t actually end up happening, I’m just hoping to at least think about it in a good way so that I feel like I know what I’m doing and have some sort of plan!

Also, @Elise4270 another vote here for a new phone! Though I also really don’t like talking on the phone, so entirely sympathetic on that...
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about toes! My trainers are half a size too big. I’m discovering the right socks are crucial. I have insoles in due to tendonitis. I’ll keep them cut very short.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Advice please. My run today was 6.5 miles and my toenails are feeling it. I have a half marathon in a few weeks (yes i know I should be running further by now but hey, I am where I am. It will be slow but I’ll do it). Any advice on how to keep my toenails as I’m quite attached to them.
    @samthepanda If your shoes are not too small (which they might be - I don't know what those shoe manufacturers are thinking, but in running shoes I often have to buy a larger size than in street shoes), they cold also be too *big*, allowing your feet to slide around too much and hit against the front of the shoe with each step on downhills. A different lacing technique could help somewhat against that.

And I second checking your socks, if you haven't done so already. Having real running socks is worth the money for me. They don't even have to be expensive. I usually buy these, and they last forever.

Side note: I tried more expensive running socks every now and then, but I always have bad luck - the one pair of Smartwool socks wore through really quickly at the heel, within one winter. One out of two pairs of Inov-8 Racesocs disintegrated within a month (it was a yellow/blue pattern, and the yellow parts were completely shredded after a few runs - must have been a problem with that particular thread color). And out of two pairs of Asics cushion socks, one had the front seem above the toes unravelling after two weeks.
    So I'm back to the no-brand socks which cost half the price and are nearly indestructible ^^

ETA: I just saw you already posted yourself about "too big" and "right socks". Should have refreshed the page before hitting send :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »

@_nikkiwolf_ , thanks for the pacer research for the Vancouver half—that sounds like a great plan to look for the 2:15 bunny. And all the additional resources were really interesting! I’m still working up to the HM distance, but my long run pace is consistently in that range even as it lengthens and I generally run negative splits. Of course I don’t know how that will transfer to the half..

@Elise4270 and @kevaasen that advice to keep the first 9-10 miles no more than “comfortably hard” and make sure I’m not going all out until the last 3 or so. I will definitely try to have fun and take mental notes! :)

@PastorVincent Thanks for going through the various approaches! I have to say that I don’t feel a ton of ability to do many different paces on my own. If I think “take it easy” on my runs, my form generally feels better, my breathing is okish, but I can’t seem to slow down in a way that gets my heart rate much lower. And then when I’m done, I’ve ended up with negative splits again, which was the opposite of what I was trying to do. But if I do try to slow down by taking fewer steps or shorter steps, my form feels off and more tiring. I’m planning to incorporate more hills and speedwork into my training after this HM, and hoping I learn a lot!

My longest race has been a 10K so far—and that I raced, unlike most of the 5Ks I’ve done, which I’ve run with my kids at their pace. I did race my February 5K, but only figured I’d get to a steady pace by doing a 1/2 mile warmup before—my first mile is always slow (I have assumed this is normal?) Not sure exactly what happened as my Fitbit bit the dust and I never saw my splits, and there was a massive hill anyway right away. So, this discussion is all very helpful, thank you! Even if what I’m trying to do pace-wise doesn’t actually end up happening, I’m just hoping to at least think about it in a good way so that I feel like I know what I’m doing and have some sort of plan!

Also, @Elise4270 another vote here for a new phone! Though I also really don’t like talking on the phone, so entirely sympathetic on that...

Sticking with the "2;15 bunny" is a great plan. Obviously, everyone is different but pacers ofter are very knowledgable about the course and running in general so can provide tips and advice as you run.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @samthepanda another thing to consider regarding toenails... it's possible your toenails could be hitting/rubbing on the top of your shoes. If you are using insoles, they may be raising your toes up too high and rubbing the top of the toe box. Just something else to check.

7.35 miles this morning. Was a good run. Took it pretty easy, most of the time. Felt stride length increase (think I did a better pre-run warmup). After Tuesday's run had the beginning of the familiar shin pain return. Think the old Ghost 10's are about worn out. Eagerly anticipating the delivery of my new Glycerin 16's tomorrow. Retired my 15's last November and have been rotating though Ghost 10's and 11's. Will be nice to add the Glycerin's back into the rotation.

exercise.png
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »

Sticking with the "2;15 bunny" is a great plan. Obviously, everyone is different but pacers ofter are very knowledgable about the course and running in general so can provide tips and advice as you run.

I'd also recommend sticking with a pace group - on the advice of the good people here, I picked a pace I knew I could maintain for ten miles and gave myself the option to speed up at the end. Of course, my first half marathon I wasn't mentally prepared and only managed to run the last couple of miles because of the pacers' encouragement, and my second had a bunch of hills at the end so once again I finished with the pace group. But I had a lot of fun both times!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @shanaber - LISS is Low Intensity Steady State. It apparently has benefits too. http://www.eatingwell.com/article/291640/hiit-vs-liss-which-exercise-is-right-for-you/
    Now I wish I hadn't read it because although it made me feel good about my repetitive 5 mile run, it also inspired me to do intervals yesterday and I hurt something in my glute!

Not heard of LISS - but what I think I really need is SSNT (steady state nap time) :smiley:

...Second...