JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Positive thought for the day: Erm, i had a nice sleep because i found my Babe the Pig soft toy(also a hot water bottle holder), i love it, its so comforting to cuddle in bed even without the hot water bottle.
    I cant cuddle ash for long because he moans i get too hot LOL
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Faebert - is that a chemical treatment to straighten your hair? That’s a tough one about the girlfriend, I hope they have a good time despite her. I know a couple of younger people that had to deal with stepmoms or dads they didn’t care for. The opposing parent mostly said they didn’t have to like them they did have to respect them though. I think a lot of them learned over the years to adjust and though they never had that tight bond they respected them and acknowledged them.

@snowflake1968 yes it’s a sort of chemical treatment. Takes hours, costs a lot but it lasts me 1.5-2 years and generally means I barely have to even use a blowdryer on my hair as it takes all the frizz out.

Thanks for the advice re the kids. I think the issue is not so much that they don’t respect her, more that she has no patience with them and shouts and swears, which they find upsetting. I have told him - and he has agreed- that she must not swear at them again ever. I hope things are better this time than the last time they went away. If not, they will simply refuse to go again... and I will back them. He has a right to see them, but if his gf can’t deal with it then he will have to see them without her.

I hope he has spoken to the GF and that the girls have an awesome trip. That is awful that she swore at them.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Okay so I know I mentioned this a few times but I have an issue brushing my teeth and washing my face. Gross, I know. But it just wasn't something that was strongly inforced in my house growing up so they never really got ingrained in my system as things to do twice daily.

Well, a while ago I read a book about creating new habits and changing bad ones. The way you do it is with a trigger, an action, and then a reward. So me being me could just never seem to get it right. It just didnt work for me because I could never think of a little reward that didnt make me feels stupid or anything. So what I did was..

I bought myself a calendar and some of those bright star stickers from your kindergarten class and hung it on the outside of my bathroom door. So every time I brush my teeth and wash/moisturize my face I will put up stickers. So the goal is to have 4 stickers by the end of the night. I think that this will actually help me because, 1) I'm a very visual person so seeing the stickers will make me feel good and 2) I can see the calendar from my bed and every time I walk to the front door, plus it's right at eye level so I really can't miss it!

I really think this is going to work! I'm actually really excited! I think I may have found something that will make me get these habits done!

That wasn’t ingrained in my house growing up either, but it was in my husband’s and now he rarely does it and I always do. That visual reminder will probably be a great thing, my little sign I made for my bathroom has reminded me several times to do my 5 somethings. It always catches my eye and reminds me, it’s just if I choose not to act on it is a problem. But I feel like my little sign is like the IKEA lamp, it’s crying because I ignored it. It work 95% of the time.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Gosh, already halfway through my day, but I'm here to check in on yesterday's goals and put up some new ones today.. I just have to say you gals are amazing support and I appreciate that I found you all!

So, here are my goals for today 4/10, and I'll check back in when I can:
    1. Log at least 50% (ideally 100%, but I'm going for achievable) - Yay! I did 100% so done
    2. Stay within +/-10% of calorie goal (yep, I'm an engineer, I told you that!) - I was -10%, yay me!
    3. Stay positive - I was mostly positive, but some stress about my house situation crept in..
    4. Be mindful - Done! Food is so much more delicious when you actually experience it..
    5. Be productive at work - Ok, this one was difficult yesterday, mostly because I was so excited about reading all of your posts on this forum (for the first time), so I didn't get much done; however, I did get everything I *had* to get done, done... :)
    6. Exercise at lunch time - yeah, ping pong for 45 minutes, does burn more calories than you would think! plus, it's sooo fun!!
    7. Make some calls on my way home - made 2 calls: appointments for the furbabies to get groomed, and made lunch plans with a friend for today!

Next, here are my goals for today 4/11, and I'll check back in when I can:
    1. Log at least 50% (ideally 100%, but I'm going for achievable)
    2. Stay within +/-10% of calorie goal (it all balances out, right?)
    3. Stay positive
    4. Be mindful
    5. Be productive at work
    6. Lunch with a good friend! - already done!
    7. Make some calls on my way home
    8. Read and fill out rental agreement paperwork and return to my realtor
    9. Pick out a birthday card for my mom and my brother!

I joined this group in April 2018 while I was working at a job that I didn’t have enough to keep me busy. I went back and read every page from January to April before I ever posted. I felt like a stalker as I knew everyone and they didn’t know I was lurking in the background. I don’t think I’ve missed a day posting since my first day.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    JFT Thurs

I will...
    - Log accurately 👍
    - Be in the green👍
    - Drink 6-8 waters👍
    - Exercise❌
    - Stay calm, think before i speak and do breathing exercises if things get too much.👍
    - Repeat positive affirmations❌Didnt need to!

I will not...
    - Binge👍
    - Feed my feelings👍
    - Give up👍

I felt really low yesterday. For no reason in particular which somehow makes it even more worrying.

How do you break the cycle of "Being fat because youre depressed and depressed because youre fat?"

Well a good day! Had to cancel thd exercise, after a full day of marley being okay shd started being sick and burning up again!

I had a chippy tea too. Ash shared his with me, i basically c*cked up dinner so had no choice but to eat it! but miraculously im still in the green!! Hoorayy

I also stepped out the car earlier when all 3 girls started moaning and complaining about something stupid.
    I just sat on the bonnet and puffed on my ecig until ash got back from the shop!
    Hes had an eventful day, someone tried to rob the shop he was in, he only went and chased them and tackled him to the ground and then undercover police showed up and he had to explain that he was stopping a theif.
    Then went to the local farm to get some fresh milk and the lady let him milk a god damn cow LOL!

So a good day but one good day is only the start! I really need to fight this time.
    I was frantic this morning just trying to find clothes id be happy to be out in public in.
    Something just has to change, and only i can do it! I cant learn to love my body as it is so i will have to change my body.

i saw this quote today..

Fridge-pickers wear big knickers!
    JFT Thurs

I will...
    - Log accurately 👍
    - Be in the green👍
    - Drink 6-8 waters👍
    - Exercise❌
    - Stay calm, think before i speak and do breathing exercises if things get too much.👍
    - Repeat positive affirmations❌Didnt need to!

I will not...
    - Binge👍
    - Feed my feelings👍
    - Give up👍

I felt really low yesterday. For no reason in particular which somehow makes it even more worrying.

How do you break the cycle of "Being fat because youre depressed and depressed because youre fat?"

Well a good day! Had to cancel thd exercise, after a full day of marley being okay shd started being sick and burning up again!

I had a chippy tea too. Ash shared his with me, i basically c*cked up dinner so had no choice but to eat it! but miraculously im still in the green!! Hoorayy

I also stepped out the car earlier when all 3 girls started moaning and complaining about something stupid.
    I just sat on the bonnet and puffed on my ecig until ash got back from the shop!
    Hes had an eventful day, someone tried to rob the shop he was in, he only went and chased them and tackled him to the ground and then undercover police showed up and he had to explain that he was stopping a theif.
    Then went to the local farm to get some fresh milk and the lady let him milk a god damn cow LOL!

So a good day but one good day is only the start! I really need to fight this time.
    I was frantic this morning just trying to find clothes id be happy to be out in public in.
    Something just has to change, and only i can do it! I cant learn to love my body as it is so i will have to change my body.

i saw this quote today..

Fridge-pickers wear big knickers!

Love the quote, that was a very eventful day for Ash, lucky he didn’t get injured taking the guy down. Hope Marley feels better tomorrow.
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. This thread looks perfect for someone like me. Depression, anxiety, ADD, OCD, all mean that long-term goals don't work very well. Right now I am sick, have been for almost a week now; but I wanted to post so can find the thread tomorrow. Have a great night, everyone! :wink:
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Total total failure tonite. I did OK all evening, but tonite, got into some candy I found. And I know, once again, the bad habit of stress eating got to me again.
    Our daughter once again is much worse. We have noticed all week that she acts scared of us, scared of everything. The past few evenings, so only stays a few minutes, then goes back to hide in her apartment.
    Last nite she was out here crying again, but I have unable to get her to stay.
    Today she came out early. Took a shower, crying in the bathroom The entire day, she is sitting in her bedroom, clutching onto a stuffed animal. She acts like she is scared, crying. We could not get her to come outside, anything. So tomorrow, a letter to the doctor again. I am going to use every power I have to keep her with us tonite. I'm not sure if she stopped taking her meds again. Again, I feel defeated, because I know better than to turn to junk food... but it is the only way I know of coping. I have to be more diligent on this.
    So for the rest of this evening
    1. drink water
    2. say a prayer, for the strength to be there and do what we need to do.
    3. Positive thought : our daughter is out here. she is not alone.

Prayers and hugs.
  • GarysGirl81
    GarysGirl81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hellerhoneybee - Welcome! I have visited New Mexico ages ago what a beautiful state. I only saw a very tiny bit of it, my husband drove truck and I was on a trip from New Brunswick to California with him. He was kind and let me stop to take pictures a lot. I still have a necklace he bought me in NM. I craft too, including card making, my daughter makes jewelry.

Clicketykeys - I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help chuckling at the keys. It reminded me of the flustered teacher I had that always lost his glasses. They were usually on his head.

Hegoddard0928 - I’m so happy for you starting your new job! I had to laugh at you waiting for your parents to wake up. I grew up living next door to my grandparents. I remember going over there and going right upstairs and climbing in bed with my grandmother. Those are some nice memories. I don’t think making coffee and sitting waiting is creepy at all, but I have a different perspective than others might have! 😂

Daneejela - that’s a good idea writing your accomplishments, it’s focusing on the positive and not highlighting the negative.

Cory17- I am right there with you! I don’t know why I am finding this so hard to get back on the right path. Last year I was excited to go for my walks, I was staying within my calorie goals 90% of the time, getting all my water in. I just don’t know why I’m struggling so hard right now and the longer I struggle the harder it is. Maybe someone will have some words of wisdom that will make us both say “Aha”! We can do it, the important part is we haven’t given up. I would have done that in the past too many times.

Robbell678 - what a beautiful country we live in! I saw that picture though and imagined it was somewhere in Europe like White Cliffs of Dover. I’ve never been but this is what I imagine.

Bex953172 - oh no! Hope the hug leaves your house soon. We all have a cold here. I started it, Rodger has it now and the Grands, Lauryn texted me yesterday and said they were snot nosed germ factories. Our minds thought the same about those cliffs! 😂 at least you knew which country they are in! I would love to visit Scotland, but my biggest wish is Ireland. I have been there with you on the depressed because your fat and fat because you’re depressed train before and think I am now a little bit too. I know it sounds cheesy or simple and I scoffed at it for years, but truthfully what has helped me the most over the last year is writing three things I’m grateful for every day. Some days it’s been hard to come up with something and there are a lot of days I’m grateful for the sun but it’s really helped. I was clinically depressed and had been on anti-depressants for 2 years. I couldn’t afford them last year before I started my job so had to do something. When I got back to work and still now I realized I was doing ok and didn’t need them. We got this.

Faebert - is that a chemical treatment to straighten your hair? That’s a tough one about the girlfriend, I hope they have a good time despite her. I know a couple of younger people that had to deal with stepmoms or dads they didn’t care for. The opposing parent mostly said they didn’t have to like them they did have to respect them though. I think a lot of them learned over the years to adjust and though they never had that tight bond they respected them and acknowledged them.

Bookmeister86 - don’t you just love panicked bosses. I had a boss that was bald, when he was stressed he would pace and run his head. Luckily we were friends before he became my boss so I could tell him to go for a drive and get coffees while I fixed whatever problem there was an she usually did so. I miss working with him.

Garysgirl81 - good job on your goals yesterday.

Clicketykeys - how could you resist! Your husband needs to stay out of the kitchen he’s not doing you any favours lol

Thank you! Finding this thread has been a God send for me. I’m horrible when it comes to accountability. But, today I crushed my goals again. Yes, they are small and doable, but had I been doing these small things I wouldn’t be where I’m at now. Thanks for the support!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    @CdnPgnMom Welcome! Your post stood out to me. I also have depression, anxiety, OCD and ADD and it is a constant daily struggle. This thread has really been monumental in helping me stay on track and I think you will really like it here.

@mytime6630 I'm so sorry your daughter is struggling so much. You are strong and turning to junk food is not a failure. Big hugs to you 💖💖 and wishing your family the best during this hard time.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group @korina75 and @scorpio8402

@aubyshortcake hope you feel better soon

@maryrobinson40 your positivity is inspiring. Make sure you take care of yourself, you've had a lot to deal with recently ... Hugs

@ZizzyBumble Thank you Sister. Believe it or not, I have been very mindful of my intake.
    Thank you for your tender care. Hug you back💕😅
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Big hugs @maryrobinson40 - look after yourself x

I hope I could see you Sis. I would hug you so tight. You always remember me. I love you! Thank you!!!

I dont think any of us could forget you Mary! We love you!

@Bex953172
    Sister I love you sooo much too. I've had a turbulent go for a while now... So much so, that if I could, I'd
    show up and curl up at your door like a lost puppy just to get away for a while. You Sister and everyone
    else have been so close in my heart. I can't thank you all enough for your presence, and show of love
    and empathy. You each have so much that you all deal with on a regular. I feel you. I celebrate your triumphs,
    and cry at your stumbles, and pray even harder for your strength to get through each situation that you face.
    I hope you're all done with the "sicks" and are all feeling better. I'm a bit behind, and the last thing I
    think I read was the children were com...you saved blankie, by the time you got one ok, another was at it.
    OMG!!! I could see you rushing the stairs and caring for everyone, and you feeling flushed to say the
    least. Kudos 👏👏 for how you handle it all.
    WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW PEOPLE! LOVE, HUGS, AND HAPPY HEALTH💝
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    Big hugs @maryrobinson40 - look after yourself x

I hope I could see you Sis. I would hug you so tight. You always remember me. I love you! Thank you!!!

I dont think any of us could forget you Mary! We love you!

@Bex953172
    Sister I love you sooo much too. I've had a turbulent go for a while now... So much so, that if I could, I'd
    show up and curl up at your door like a lost puppy just to get away for a while. You Sister and everyone
    else have been so close in my heart. I can't thank you all enough for your presence, and show of love
    and empathy. You each have so much that you all deal with on a regular. I feel you. I celebrate your triumphs,
    and cry at your stumbles, and pray even harder for your strength to get through each situation that you face.
    I hope you're all done with the "sicks" and are all feeling better. I'm a bit behind, and the last thing I
    think I read was the children were com...you saved blankie, by the time you got one ok, another was at it.
    OMG!!! I could see you rushing the stairs and caring for everyone, and you feeling flushed to say the
    least. Kudos 👏👏 for how you handle it all.
    WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW PEOPLE! LOVE, HUGS, AND HAPPY HEALTH💝

Mary... it is so good to see you back posting! We all miss you so much when you are gone. Hugs to you <3
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Total total failure tonite. I did OK all evening, but tonite, got into some candy I found. And I know, once again, the bad habit of stress eating got to me again.
    Our daughter once again is much worse. We have noticed all week that she acts scared of us, scared of everything. The past few evenings, so only stays a few minutes, then goes back to hide in her apartment.
    Last nite she was out here crying again, but I have unable to get her to stay.
    Today she came out early. Took a shower, crying in the bathroom The entire day, she is sitting in her bedroom, clutching onto a stuffed animal. She acts like she is scared, crying. We could not get her to come outside, anything. So tomorrow, a letter to the doctor again. I am going to use every power I have to keep her with us tonite. I'm not sure if she stopped taking her meds again. Again, I feel defeated, because I know better than to turn to junk food... but it is the only way I know of coping. I have to be more diligent on this.
    So for the rest of this evening
    1. drink water
    2. say a prayer, for the strength to be there and do what we need to do.
    3. Positive thought : our daughter is out here. she is not alone.

Big hugs @mytime6630 - you can only do so much. I also gave in to some emotional eating last night. Like you, intellectually I know that it doesn’t help and ultimately makes things worse, but in the moment it feels like a comfort or a crutch or even an intentional rebellion! It’s like “things in my life are so messed up, what’s the point?!”

I’m still working on not having that stress/sadness response in the first place. And it is becoming less frequent. But in the meantime, the success has been in firmly ‘parking’ those episodes so they are just episodes, not a gateway into giving up. Once the dust has settled and I’m left feeling regretful, I now make sure that I move on immediately. Regret serves no purpose and so I practise enough kindness that I let it go, but not so much that I let myself binge/overeat for ‘just another day’or more. Because I currently can’t completely avoid these slips, by keeping them contained I know they will make barely a blip overall in the big picture. At worst you have set back your loss by a day or two. No big deal and completely understandable given what you are dealing with.

Sorry for the ramblings but I wanted you to know you aren’t alone (and weren’t last night when things got bad!). Let’s both of us try and have a great day today!

X
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :neutral: I left off a couple of very small things. I'm pretty sure my running app malfunctioned as it told me I burned 55 calories fewer than normal for exactly the same run - I think this mistake should pretty much cover the small things
    - Stick to food plan :smile: I swapped a gin for a wine but otherwise yes
    - Be in the green :smile:
    - 4 bottles water :neutral: 3/4
    - Run to work :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :/ Once again are saucisson whilst preparing dinner. I have told boyfriend not to bring that back from France again!
    - Savour every bite :neutral:
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :smile: Yes, I stopped myself from snacking at work even though I felt like it and was in 'f&£# it Thursday (end of week)' mood.
    - Give myself credit! :neutral: Mainly forgot
    - Stay positive :smile:

- 45+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :/ I chose to pop out and buy Easter cards for my family instead
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :smile:
    - Leave work by 6.30pm :smiley:
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 4 bottles water
    - Go for run

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Make a big dent in French backlog

Weekly calorie balance: 400 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

How I practised Mindful Moderation yesterday: By not giving into desire to snack

Today's positive thought: It's the weekend and I will be going for a nice run by the river later!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a rough night last night. A combination of getting too hungry (didn’t eat properly before the hairdressers and I was there for hours), stress about my kids and some emotional weirdness about my divorce combined to lead me into emotional eating. I put a stop to it fairly early - and actually with all my activity that day I still came in under goal - but I still know that it was the kind of compulsive and self-destructive behaviour I'm trying to avoid. But it’s done, I will leave it firmly in the past and move on.

I’m on enforced rest from vigorous activity for the next two days as the hair straightening means I can get sweaty (can’t wash it) or put it up in a ponytail. This is very annoying and I’m already irritated but it’s worth it in the long run. It’s a beautiful if cold morning here so my plan is for a nice long walk this morning and then tomorrow I will be super active cleaning the house so still getting plenty of movement in.

Thursday goals recap:
    - Warrior class at 6:30am ✅
    - Check girls have packed everything, empty car ✅
    - Walk to hair appt (3.5 miles) at 11:30 (take laptop) ✅
    - 5x report statements ✅ actually managed 6
    - Eyebrows ❎ and tan ✅ after hair appointment
    - Groceries - buy cake ingredients for N party ❎ will pick up tomorrow
    - Try not to stress about the girls. Their dad loves them and they will have a good time. Do not succumb to emotional eating ❎ but I reined it in fast
    - Bed by 10 ✅

Friday goals:
    - morning walk
    - Meet colleague for coffee
    - Eyebrows
    - Buy ingredients and make cake for (another!) baby shower
    - Meet up with yoga teacher friend for catch-up
    - Chase lawyer - is divorce finalised or not??
    - 6x report statements
    - Water!
    - Eat sensibly - avoid binge/restrict cycle
    - Start laundry
    - Bed by 9:30

Happy Friday everyone - have a great day x
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,024 Member
    Options
    4/11/19 thursday
    Weight: 150.6 lbs. Yay! Haven't seen that 150 number in about 2 years. Next goal is to be in the 140s. Have now lost about 9 lbs since 1st week of March.
    Water 4 8oz. glasses - :)
    Stay in green :)
    Work in exercise :(
    Bed by midnight :(

jft 4/12/19 fri.
    Weight:
    Water-at least 4 8oz. glasses
    Stay in green
    Exercise
    Bed by midnight
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Friday 12 April

Log accurately
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit excercise goals
    January challenge
    February challenge
    March challenge :) Walked before breakfast
    April challenge
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 956 Member
    Options

JFT 11th April

Log everything yes
    Stay in the green around 1500 cals, just in green if I take gardening into account
    Shopping yes
    Friend's visit, only positive chat! yes. We've both decided that we will relax and not stress about boomeranging children
    Fill in doctor's online forms no
    Pay the bill I forgot about! no
    Back stretches yes
    Plan evening meal yes

Positive thought - it was a beautiful warm sunny day, and I spent 2 short periods in the garden and felt I made a difference.

JFT 12th April

Log everything
    Stay in the green
    Visit parents
    Fill in doctor's forms
    Pay bill
    Back stretches
    Plan evening meal

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 you have NOT failed! You had to look out for your daughter, that was your focus, if it hadnt you would of had the headspace to think about food properly.

If youve 'failed' by pigging out on ONE night then ive been failing all year!!

Youve got this Joan! Youve still got this! Call it a day off! A moment of madness. But not a failure!
    You have manage to pull yourself up from alot worse!

Im so sorry for you and your daughter, and your husband too! Im curious, how does he react when your daughter has moments like this? Does he turn to food too?

I love you Joan!