Switching to veggie for health benefits

Options
I have, for years, suffered from an extremely lazy bowel. I have never found a root cause....I do restrict my calorie intake a lot and often wonder if this could be a reason. I get very bloated and uncomfortable.

I have also found over the years that I enjoy eating more vegetarian food over a lot of meats.

Has anyone ever changed to a vegetarian diet and noticed a benefit in health and well-being?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to narrow down any trigger foods for your issue, or is it just in general that you're dealing with it? Perhaps eating vegetarian will at least help you determine if it was meat that was doing it.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you been able to narrow down any trigger foods for your issue, or is it just in general that you're dealing with it? Perhaps eating vegetarian will at least help you determine if it was meat that was doing it.

No I have never been able to pin point any foods that help or hinder me. I do wonder if I am too restrictive. Sometimes if I chill out a bit on a Saturday night and have a good meal along with a drink or 2 I notice that on a Sunday morning I have no tummy issues.

I don’t eat a huge amount of fairly products either. I guess giving it a go will give me the answer. I just wondered if anyone else had experience?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    I have, for years, suffered from an extremely lazy bowel. I have never found a root cause....I do restrict my calorie intake a lot and often wonder if this could be a reason. I get very bloated and uncomfortable.

I have also found over the years that I enjoy eating more vegetarian food over a lot of meats.

Has anyone ever changed to a vegetarian diet and noticed a benefit in health and well-being?

It's correlation in my case. I never had any tests done. I never even saw a doctor to get a diagnosis on the condition. It could've been eczema (I've had it on other parts of me) or dandruff or psoriasis. Probably not that last, since it's not exactly curable but whatever. I had "scabs on my scalp". You couldn't see them to look at me; my hair hid them, but if I reached up to scratch my head, they were there.

I cut meat, fish, and poultry out of my diet and the condition cleared up completely. In the 28-odd years since I've gone veg, I've had maybe one mild (lasted less than a week) flare up.

Now, maybe I've got a mild allergy to one of the above three animal proteins. Maybe it's something more specific, like beef/chicken/tuna. I don't know; I never experimented. Maybe it would have gone away on its own, even if I hadn't gone veg. Like I said, never saw a doctor, never had a diagnosis.

But I don't have that condition anymore either.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Does this happen more when you are restricting your food intake?
    It's possible that you are restricting your fat intake too much. Too little fat causes less movement in the bowels. You state that after a good meal, you feel better. It may be increased fat intake.
    Try adding some fat to your diet too see if that helps.
  • MidwestAndHappy
    MidwestAndHappy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Whole plant based diets have proven beneficial for many diseases. A couple of books you may find helpful, China Study and How not to Die. It has helped me tremendously, and I am believer it will help others as well. Read the book, or listen to it as I did. Its worth the $7, or even better, get a free trial on audible and try it.

If you have a public library card, you can often get audiobooks using the libby app.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Plenty of overweight to obese vegetarians and vegans in the world. As such the idea they lead to better health and well-being, and the common implication of those words mean, is incorrect.

Do you have any statistics and/or source?

My personal experience is that vegetarians and vegans are way underrepresented in terms of being overweight or obese (not counting those who are overweight and obese and go vegan after to stifle it, which will skew the numbers). Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit, and going vegetarian/vegan is an easy way to change your diet in a direction that will almost naturally create a calorie deficit due to the low calorier/volume ratio of vegetarian food.

I'll agree with you though, most vegetarians and definitely most vegans I meet do it for ethical reasons.

Vegans and vegetarians are pretty under-represented in the population overall; I'm not sure they're more under-represented among the obese.

Several studies, including some larger ones, have found that vegans tend to have a lower BMI than non-vegans.

https://veganhealth.org/cardiovascular-disease-markers-in-vegans/#bmi

This, of course, doesn't tell us anything about what will happen to *individuals* who choose to go vegan. I would still recommend that people who want to lose weight focus on what matters (calories), because it would be very easy to go vegan and still not reduce the number of calories one is consuming overall. Anecdotally, I've heard dozens and dozens of stories from people who went vegan and didn't lose weight and even people who gained weight.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Plenty of overweight to obese vegetarians and vegans in the world. As such the idea they lead to better health and well-being, and the common implication of those words mean, is incorrect.

Do you have any statistics and/or source?

My personal experience is that vegetarians and vegans are way underrepresented in terms of being overweight or obese (not counting those who are overweight and obese and go vegan after to stifle it, which will skew the numbers). Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit, and going vegetarian/vegan is an easy way to change your diet in a direction that will almost naturally create a calorie deficit due to the low calorier/volume ratio of vegetarian food.

I'll agree with you though, most vegetarians and definitely most vegans I meet do it for ethical reasons.

Unless you just manage to do it intuitively there is a learning curve to vegetarianism and veganism so that you know how to get proper nutrition. I have seen some jump into it without this knowledge that ended up quite ill.

I don't think it is far-fetched to say that many people gain weight because they don't understand their nutritional needs so it stands to reason that people who study it may be less at risk. That doesn't exclude a person from eating too much for a number of other reasons though.