Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet= good or bad

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    Human beings managed to colonize every ecosystem from the arctic to the rainforest.
    There is no way we could have done that if there was One Perfect Diet. We're enormously adaptable omnivores, and no, we did not spend 500,000 years in ketosis.
    (As evidence: We didn't domesticate grains out of some weird idea that we'd like to start eating grains. We domesticated grains because we were already eating them in amounts big enough that we invented flint-bladed scythes to cut grain stalks before we domesticated the grain itself)

Along these lines, I thought this piece by Yoni Freedhoff on the recent debate between Stephan Guyenet and Gary Taubes was really good: http://www.weightymatters.ca/

I don't want anyone to blindly follow what I have done thinking they can replicate my current results. I am still not done yet so all I really know is that I am doing what is right for myself at this moment.

All weight loss attempts have a ridiculously high failure rate. Some of the very people who think keto is so great in this thread will, unfortunately, fail to sustain their weight loss and in time will either return and try again or move on. I HATE that. I think it is very wrong to defend any weight loss method and try to say it is the best because it might be currently working for you. We should try and get each other to question ourselves and our choices because that is being helpful. I have failed so much that I have stopped caring about being 'right' I just want to see results.

The number of other people doing keto or whatever you are doing doesn't help you lose weight. It doesn't do anything to reinforce that you have made the right decision either. All the studies out that seem to suggest that one method is better than another are WORTHLESS when it comes to personal weight loss.

Is keto good or bad? The only people that can answer that it is good are the people that have successfully met ALL of their goals and maintained them for several years and then it only means it was good for them. Everyone else is either hoping it is good or doing something else. The very same thing applies to calorie counting, weight watchers, paleo, etc.

I agree with this so much. All that we can do is stick with what is working for the time being and if it stops working try something different. I think the key is to keep trying. I run like the "kitten" when I hear people say that their way is the one and only true path.

However, when I read someone refer to themselves as "ketoers" I kind of cringe!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    If I have eaten keto for a few years, then I can call myself a ketoer? It's a lot faster to type than "someone who follows a ketogenic diet ". ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

""Warner C(2015) Ancient Human Microbiomes, J Hum Evol 79:125-136" - Having trouble locating this. Can you share the claim that is being made there?

I've got access through my organization and found it.

It's a literature review about ways to study and reconstruct historic, ancient, and paleolithic microbial "passengers" and the uses of that data It describes methods for examining ancient feces and dental plaque for the microbes that live in it. It does say that the techniques described COULD be used to discover evidence of ancient diets.

Interestingly, the examples of previous work on "discovering what ancients ate by studying their poop and teeth" contain many citaitons to studies that found plants, starchy foods, tubers, rhizomes, squashes, and legumes.
    There's zero about ketosis.

Thank you so much! I always appreciate it when people are willing to look something up for me.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member

""Warner C(2015) Ancient Human Microbiomes, J Hum Evol 79:125-136" - Having trouble locating this. Can you share the claim that is being made there?

It's a literature review about ways to study and reconstruct historic, ancient, and paleolithic microbial "passengers" and the uses of that data It describes methods for examining ancient feces and dental plaque for the microbes that live in it. It does say that the techniques described COULD be used to discover evidence of ancient diets.

Interestingly, the examples of previous work on "discovering what ancients ate by studying their poop and teeth" contain many citaitons to studies that found plants, starchy foods, tubers, rhizomes, squashes, and legumes.

Thank you so much! I always appreciate it when people are willing to look something up for me.

It may be paywalled for you, but...
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0047248414002620

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It may be paywalled for you, but...
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0047248414002620

Unfortunately, it is. But thank you!
  • GoodinBadout
    GoodinBadout Posts: 8 Member
    jremy69 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jremy69 wrote: »
    I am 36. I've lost 85 pounds in 9 months. Every single marker of inflimation is gone. All of my aches and pains are gone. My mind is magnitudes more focused and clear. I have energy all day and jump out of bed with more vigor than when I was a kid. My grocery bill has been cut by 75%. I can smell now, which I could never do for my entire life. And, everything tastes better. My sexy drive is amazing. I haven't been sick since starting, yet everyone around me has been sick mutiple times. All of these wonderful side effect with NO EXERCISE!

Technically "keto" is any intake in nutrients that puts you in a state of ketosis. Which is pretty hard to do sometimes with carbohydrates. As far as I'm concerned, through my experience and personal research, being in ketosis or even having more metabolic flexibility is probably the most optimal way of being for 90% of humans.

Other than the smell thing, which is odd, that all sounds normal and common for people who need to and lose 85 lbs.

If you had a lot to lose or are a big guy, 85 in 9 months isn't that surprising either -- although great job!

Point is that there are lots of ways people do that besides keto. Keto may have been the easiest way for you, but for many of us it wouldn't be, or we tend to eat healthier diets not doing keto. So once again, keto is neither good nor bad. It's a way of eating that works well for some people, but likely not most people.

I agree that it may not be for everyone. With that said. There are many factors that come into play when trying to optimize yourself in any way. Emotions, habits, cravings, schedules, social cues, medical problems, etc. If we take the weight lose aspect out of it right, and only focus on what happens to our bodies when we are using minimal glucose, then there isn't any evidence left that we need any sort of carbohydrates for any reason. There are no essential carbohydrates. If a person wants their body ran on the dependency to eat what and when they want for any reason other than optimization, then so be it. But, again. Through the research I've done, fueling the human body on fat and ketones seems to be optimal for the majority of the human population in almost every aspect.

Can you please reference this research you have done? I would like to read up on it.
This discussion has been closed.