May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Beautiful photo.

@hanlonsk Funny thoughts on the treadmill. I usually try to find some show I can get involved in on TV so I'm not obsessing about the time when I do the treadmill. Hope your ankle gets better quickly.

@Avidkeo CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Glad it is now official. Sending good vibes on selling your house quickly. Sounds like the HM will be a great way to get involved in your new hometown and maybe meet some new running pals.

I am going to set my goal of moving (walking/running/wogging) for 50 miles again this month. I do have a couple of weeks where I will be out of town, but really should be able to do 2.5 miles for 20 of the 31 days of the month.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's May 1, and I'm still injured. Hit my zero miles goal for April. I'll be slightly more ambitious for May.

May goal: Some amount of running greater than zero miles, i.e. at least one run long enough to be worth starting the Garmin.

Not going to happen this week, and maybe not next week either. Coming back all the way is more important than coming back soon.

So much respect for you and how you are dealing with this injury. Wishing you lots of good healing energy!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    rieson wrote: »
    I am trying to run again after several years off. This challenge is just what I need. Put me down for 40 miles as I give this a try again ... will certainly need the motivation!

Welcome!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,398 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo - Congratulations on the new job!! WhooHoo!!! Hope the house sells really quickly!
    @Tramboman - glad your back is improving!
    @lporter - we will definitely be after you with sticks but you are after than most of us and I suspect that wouldn't help. Maybe we we will sneak up on you and tie you to a post so you can't run for a while instead :) I do hope that competitiveness doesn't kick in during the race!
    @rieson - welcome!
    @7lenny7 - I am glad the recovery is going well! Even with an DNF what you accomplished was amazing and I am looking forward to your report and hopefully some pictures.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    The painkillers are a ‘just in case’ as I occasionally get migraines. I hadn’t thought about the stomach irritation - the ibs stuff is still new to me and I’m still trying to figure out what i can do to make it better and I need to avoid.

Did you get a chance to look at the FODMAP I linked last month?

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/

It might help. If it is FODMAPs that is your issue you could be better in a week, or at least seeing improvement.

PasterVincent thanks. I have had a look. I am trying to eliminate things to work out what makes a difference. Sadly garlic seems to be a no no as do onions.

Ya know... In addition to this list there also the obvious possibility of gluten. It's a pain, but an elimination diet may help figure it out.

I couldn't believe I was that kid with the food problems, and twisted femur birth defect. *sigh*. If you have migraines (check tyramine containing foods)., I'd bet in a heartbeat that it's a food intolerance. Check soy, it gives me a migraine and poos. I had Asian food with dh and had hater tummy for 2 days.

I had a raft of blood rests which showed I wasn’t ceoliac but I am eliminating gluten for a while to see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip about the ginger Shanaber. I’ll try that too.

Garlic and Onions are very high in fructans, as is wheat. Celiac is an intolerance to GLUTEN which is also in wheat. Fructans are the O in FODMAP (cause they are oligosaccharides).

Here is a test for you to try, find REAL but plain sourdough bread. The kind that someone (bakery, yourself, or etc) has baked. It will still be high in gluten, but very low in fructans. If you can eat that without issue then it is not Celiac or any other flavor of gluten intolerance that is your issue, but fructans (which base on your comment about garlic and onions would be my very strong guess right now).

The yeast in Sourghdough actually eats the fructans for you over the 12 hours the bread is let to "proof" leaving behind the gluten. You can see this by looking at the "sugars" line on the nutrition panel. It will be 0 or 1. "Added Sugars" or "Total Carbs" may both be higher, but "sugars" should be 0 or 1 as fructan is counted as a "sugar" in that chart.

It should take between 4-24 hours after you eat something before you feel any negative impact if it is a fructan intolerance, as they happen in the intestines, not the stomach. Usually less than 12 hours, but everyone is different. :)

That’s amazing information. When I started my elimination diet gluten was one that I eliminated, I can eat sourdough no problem, I definitely have a problem with a lot of the foods on the fodmap list. I can not eat pasta for some reason. Even as a kid it made me sick. I can eat Dave’s good seed bread, and sourdough. No idea what is going on there, I just avoid what bothers me. I did the IgG,E and such blood work and it was negative for celiac per se. I think I have a slight intolerance to it, nothing horrible unless I have oh so much of it. Which usually make me feel sick, like the pasta does. Dh made pancakes last night and I felt bad within 30 minutes and went to check the ingredients. He caught me and said he checked them, no soy unless it cross contamination or just more wheat/gluten than I can tolerate. So @samthepanda if you think gluten may be an issue, you can definitely treat it as one until you get a handle on the issue.

I get a migraine 20-24 hours like clock work if I’ve eaten something that’s a trigger. Soy gets my guts in 20 minutes or less. Oddly I can have edamame, but not soy protein or lecithin. It took me 20+ years to listen to advice that food was an issue for me. It was such a normal part of my day, I couldn’t make the connection. I’m slow like that, er maybe just hard headed. Migraines run my family, no one ever made the food connection (of course the weather, stress, and hormones play a role).

A long way of saying thanks @PastorVincent . I’m lookin more into the fructan connection. Pretty cool to finally figure out its likely fructans in “gluten” foods and not the gluten itself.

ETA corrections since monster cat thinks he’s still small enough to stick his head in the Apple hole which gets stuck and he flings my iPad on to the night stand and into the floor knocking my coffee all over the lap top, twice... dang baby monster. Lap top is likely unscathed. So is baby monster.

@Elise4270 I only just found this out recently myself. Here is the pubmed if you want the real sciencey stuff:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29102613

But this much simpler article is what first tipped me off:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/515094/gluten-may-not-be-ingredient-wheat-thats-making-you-sick

Since reading that article I have been testing and researching. Pretty sure I fall into the "fructan" camp myself. Hope it helps you too! :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The painkillers are a ‘just in case’ as I occasionally get migraines. I hadn’t thought about the stomach irritation - the ibs stuff is still new to me and I’m still trying to figure out what i can do to make it better and I need to avoid.

Did you get a chance to look at the FODMAP I linked last month?

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/

It might help. If it is FODMAPs that is your issue you could be better in a week, or at least seeing improvement.

PasterVincent thanks. I have had a look. I am trying to eliminate things to work out what makes a difference. Sadly garlic seems to be a no no as do onions.

Ya know... In addition to this list there also the obvious possibility of gluten. It's a pain, but an elimination diet may help figure it out.

I couldn't believe I was that kid with the food problems, and twisted femur birth defect. *sigh*. If you have migraines (check tyramine containing foods)., I'd bet in a heartbeat that it's a food intolerance. Check soy, it gives me a migraine and poos. I had Asian food with dh and had hater tummy for 2 days.

I had a raft of blood rests which showed I wasn’t ceoliac but I am eliminating gluten for a while to see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip about the ginger Shanaber. I’ll try that too.

Garlic and Onions are very high in fructans, as is wheat. Celiac is an intolerance to GLUTEN which is also in wheat. Fructans are the O in FODMAP (cause they are oligosaccharides).

Here is a test for you to try, find REAL but plain sourdough bread. The kind that someone (bakery, yourself, or etc) has baked. It will still be high in gluten, but very low in fructans. If you can eat that without issue then it is not Celiac or any other flavor of gluten intolerance that is your issue, but fructans (which base on your comment about garlic and onions would be my very strong guess right now).

The yeast in Sourghdough actually eats the fructans for you over the 12 hours the bread is let to "proof" leaving behind the gluten. You can see this by looking at the "sugars" line on the nutrition panel. It will be 0 or 1. "Added Sugars" or "Total Carbs" may both be higher, but "sugars" should be 0 or 1 as fructan is counted as a "sugar" in that chart.

It should take between 4-24 hours after you eat something before you feel any negative impact if it is a fructan intolerance, as they happen in the intestines, not the stomach. Usually less than 12 hours, but everyone is different. :)

That’s amazing information. When I started my elimination diet gluten was one that I eliminated, I can eat sourdough no problem, I definitely have a problem with a lot of the foods on the fodmap list. I can not eat pasta for some reason. Even as a kid it made me sick. I can eat Dave’s good seed bread, and sourdough. No idea what is going on there, I just avoid what bothers me. I did the IgG,E and such blood work and it was negative for celiac per se. I think I have a slight intolerance to it, nothing horrible unless I have oh so much of it. Which usually make me feel sick, like the pasta does. Dh made pancakes last night and I felt bad within 30 minutes and went to check the ingredients. He caught me and said he checked them, no soy unless it cross contamination or just more wheat/gluten than I can tolerate. So @samthepanda if you think gluten may be an issue, you can definitely treat it as one until you get a handle on the issue.

I get a migraine 20-24 hours like clock work if I’ve eaten something that’s a trigger. Soy gets my guts in 20 minutes or less. Oddly I can have edamame, but not soy protein or lecithin. It took me 20+ years to listen to advice that food was an issue for me. It was such a normal part of my day, I couldn’t make the connection. I’m slow like that, er maybe just hard headed. Migraines run my family, no one ever made the food connection (of course the weather, stress, and hormones play a role).

A long way of saying thanks @PastorVincent . I’m lookin more into the fructan connection. Pretty cool to finally figure out its likely fructans in “gluten” foods and not the gluten itself.

ETA corrections since monster cat thinks he’s still small enough to stick his head in the Apple hole which gets stuck and he flings my iPad on to the night stand and into the floor knocking my coffee all over the lap top, twice... dang baby monster. Lap top is likely unscathed. So is baby monster.

@Elise4270 I only just found this out recently myself. Here is the pubmed if you want the real sciencey stuff:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29102613

But this much simpler article is what first tipped me off:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/515094/gluten-may-not-be-ingredient-wheat-thats-making-you-sick

Since reading that article I have been testing and researching. Pretty sure I fall into the "fructan" camp myself. Hope it helps you too! :)

Noice. I like sciency stuff. I did catch a quick article that mentioned like only 16% of those that think they have an intolerance to gluten (non celiac) are actually gluten intolerant. Rest seem to be reacting to fructans. Awesome stuff from our science community.

ETA I guess that’s why a lower carb diet works well for me. Hmmm. Cool.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,398 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are migraine sufferers (@samthepanda and @Elise4270 and any others) I thought this article was interesting. Doesn't have any solutions just a study on how people treat, track and medicate.
    https://medium.com/myachievement/silent-suffering-looking-at-the-migraine-epidemic-with-everyday-behavior-data-ac1f4cd1e748
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Does anyone here use CBD oil or cream, whether it be for running related reasons or anything else? What do you use it for, and how do you use it?

After my race Saturday I was a hurtin' pup. My sister gave me some of her CBD cream to use and while my pain did subside quicker than I expected, I'm not willing to give any credit to CBD. I am, however, intrigued enough to explore the substance further. I bought some of my own Tuesday and applied it to one of my still painful quads as a test and it didn't seem to help it recover any faster than the untreated quad. The product I bought, however, has a low concentration.

I tend to ignore "miracle cures" but for some reason, I want to find out more about this.

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Welcome @christinadyar !

No template necessary, post how you want as often as you want. Please be aware that this thread moves fairly quickly though and you may become addicted.

5/1/19 3.8 Miles of nice and easy yesterday, last run prior to 10K on Saturday.
    5/2/19 Chest and triceps today.

Congrats on the new job @Avidkeo !
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I could not stand the thought of not participating in the Flying Pig events this year so I went ahead and signed myself up for the half. I know that the best thing long term for my chronic tendinitis issues is to take it easy for at least a month after a marathon, so my plan was is to take it easy on the course and have fun. Of course I made the mistake of looking at last year's age group results and saw that a podium finish is within my realm of possibilities if I push myself. But I am not going to do that. I am going to be smart like @MobyCarp and do what is best for me long term. I am not going to let my competitiveness get the best of me. It's not going to happen because I know that if I run this thing hard then you will all come hunt me down and beat me with a stick, right?

You sound like me right now. I keep telling myself "Do not try to PR at the Marathon, your PR target is the 50k that is only six days later."

I do not think I am listening well though.
  • taxgirl1
    taxgirl1 Posts: 1,287 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Went out for a 2 mile run yesterday with the dog. The weather definitely felt warmer than the 60F it was supposed to be. Trainer tonight.

exercise.png