Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @PastorVincent I have used these things called Bib Boards and you can find them at most of the expos. Usually at a stand that carries lots of different accessories, they don't typically have a booth just for them. They work ok but I am not convinced that they are really any better than safety pins. They are cute and have cute sayings though. I also have the SPI belt that @mobycarp mentioned. I can wear it alone for the bibs and have a pouch for my phone or add on water bottles. I don't use it much any more as I am not fond of having to have something around my waist.

@kgirlhart - I hope your ankle feels better!! Link @lporter229 said I would try to defer. I was able to do that with the Surf City HM this year when I had the stress fracture and couldn't run.

And @PastorVincent, 20% DNS sounds incredibly high! I am surprised that is the industry standard - wow! I know the only way I have DNS'd was when I absolutely couldn't run because of injury. For Surf City I waited until the last minute to defer hoping the fracture in my foot would miraculously mend and I would be able to run/walk it somehow. I hate leaving that kind of money on the table! Too expensive for a shirt! Reading the article on the Pittsburgh races now makes me want to make it a destination HM. My husband will love it since his family is from around there - actually mine was too a couple of generations ago.

@Shepeess - If you feel like you are about to die when you run you are trying to go to fast. Seriously slow down until you feel like you could have a conversation or sing a song without being out of breath or huffing and puffing. The first page of the monthly discussion has information on how the challenge works. There is also a link to a whole bunch of articles on running if you want to take a look at those. Alternatively or additionally you are welcome to ask questions here. We have runners of all levels who can help! Also don't be nervous - we all had to start at some point even if it was just slowly running to the next street light :) You'll get there! Oh and the C25K (Couch to 5K) program is great even if you never want to run a 5k and just use it to get started running.

I am hoping to get out for a run here in a bit. I am having an eye problem and have an appointment with the ophthalmologist later this afternoon. Trying to decide if I should run or not. I was going to run my longer run today and a short run tomorrow and then taper next week up to my HM on the 11th.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    And @PastorVincent, 20% DNS sounds incredibly high! I am surprised that is the industry standard - wow! I know the only way I have DNS'd was when I absolutely couldn't run because of injury. For Surf City I waited until the last minute to defer hoping the fracture in my foot would miraculously mend and I would be able to run/walk it somehow. I hate leaving that kind of money on the table! Too expensive for a shirt! Reading the article on the Pittsburgh races now makes me want to make it a destination HM. My husband will love it since his family is from around there - actually mine was too a couple of generations ago.

It is a great race. Lots of energy and you can even run with the greyhounds (retired racing dogs) at mile 18 if you like and decide to do the full instead of the half. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @Avidkeo congrats on the job! I tend to be skeptic too. I want science & studies, not anecdotes and promises. I want to understand the physiological reasons it works. On the other had, when I started taking glucosamine for my knee it was not backed by studies, but through personal testing over a long time, I've come to believe it helps. I agree that benefits could be the result of the placebo affect, or massaging for topicals. After my 50K on the 18th of May, assuming equal pain in my quads, I plan on rubbing CBD cream on one quad and regular cream on the other to see if I notice a difference. While it is unregulated, reputable manufacturers do submit their products for independent testing.

@katharmonic I love the Spartan photos! Such a badass!

@PastorVincent good luck to you and your wife on your races!

@kgirlhart I hope you get your ankle sorted out soon!

@Shepeess try running slower. Much slower. You'll be able to run longer and more comfortably.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Tonight is the expo for the Pittsburgh Marathon. Are any MFP'ers going to be there? I know a couple of you are running. My wife and I are planning to be there around 5pm. Might drag my 15 year old along. He is over 6 foot now so he is good for looking over people and finding things. :lol:

I am hoping to find those thingies that let you wear a bib without pins. Do not know what they are called or who makes them so it probably is a futile hope, but without hope, what do you have? :smiley:

The ones I use are called Bib ups. I like them because you can slide them around a little after getting them in place, and they don’t leave marks on clothing, unlike the ones with the little locking divot shape. They are much easier to get on with a second person helping. They stay on well UNLESS you bend over a car or another large metal object to do something, in which case the top will stick to the car and the bottom will fall off.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    simcon1 wrote: »
    Shepeess wrote: »
    Newbie here to ... I always feel like I am about to die when I run... is that normal? So... I will start with 40miles... is there somewhere which explains how it all works.. I get nervous going for a run so want to get over that.

The main thing that stopped me from feeling like I was about to die when I was a new runner was running much more slowly! Good luck.. if you haven’t tried something like couch to 5K, you might consider it. People seem to find it really helpful!

Same. It took too long to realize that "run" and "sprint" are different... To sprint is to run, but most runs are not sprints. I went all out at first and had nothing left after about 30 seconds.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2019
    Newbie here to ... I always feel like I am about to die when I run... is that normal? So... I will start with 40miles... is there somewhere which explains how it all works.. I get nervous going for a run so want to get over that.

Whether you do a couch to 5k or not, it definitely sounds like you're pushing too hard. When I started running a couple of years ago I did 10-15 minutes of running one block, walking one block (or until I recovered) for a while. I had to learn to run slower, too, more than once in fact! Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

It is a great race. Lots of energy and you can even run with the greyhounds (retired racing dogs) at mile 18 if you like and decide to do the full instead of the half. :)

When we did the Flying Fur (2 mile dog race for Flying Pig weekend) there were a group of Greyhounds there. Most of them even had little booties on some, but not all, of their feet. My friend made the comment, "Damn, the Kenyans are here", which cracked me up.

I am hoping to run Pittsburgh next year (ahem, @shanaber, now you are on the hook). It is my hometown and my mother keeps asking me when I am going to run it. It is always the same weekend as the Flying Pig, so, for various reasons, it hasn't yet worked out for me to make it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

The main thing that stopped me from feeling like I was about to die when I was a new runner was running much more slowly! Good luck.. if you haven’t tried something like couch to 5K, you might consider it. People seem to find it really helpful!

This is definitely the best advice you are going to get. Most new runners are surprised to learn that experienced runners almost never run as fast as they are capable of. Most of my runs are done at an easy pace up to a minute per mile slower than the pace I would run a marathon and 2 or more minutes per mile slower than the pace I would run for a 5K. It's definitely not about speed, it's about distance, particularly when you are working on building an aerobic base.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

When we did the Flying Fur (2 mile dog race for Flying Pig weekend) there were a group of Greyhounds there. Most of them even had little booties on some, but not all, of their feet. My friend made the comment, "Damn, the Kenyans are here", which cracked me up.

I am hoping to run Pittsburgh next year (ahem, @shanaber, now you are on the hook). It is my hometown and my mother keeps asking me when I am going to run it. It is always the same weekend as the Flying Pig, so, for various reasons, it hasn't yet worked out for me to make it.

I am expecting to run it every year right now. If you register way too early it is pretty cheap.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,512 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

This is definitely the best advice you are going to get. Most new runners are surprised to learn that experienced runners almost never run as fast as they are capable of. Most of my runs are done at an easy pace up to a minute per mile slower than the pace I would run a marathon and 2 or more minutes per mile slower than the pace I would run for a 5K. It's definitely not about speed, it's about distance, particularly when you are working on building an aerobic base.

Definitely this ^^^^. Sounds easy to implement, but after 7 years, I still find it difficult to run slow enough to not feel like I am almost about to die at the end. Getting better, but still not there.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Tonight is the expo for the Pittsburgh Marathon. Are any MFP'ers going to be there? I know a couple of you are running. My wife and I are planning to be there around 5pm. Might drag my 15 year old along. He is over 6 foot now so he is good for looking over people and finding things. :lol:

I am hoping to find those thingies that let you wear a bib without pins. Do not know what they are called or who makes them so it probably is a futile hope, but without hope, what do you have? :smiley:

@PastorVincent

The magnets are called bib dots, or something like that. I don't know anyone who uses them, a couple runners said they can fall off.

I use a bib belt, which works well for races short enough that I don't also need a hydration belt. Mine is made by Nathan, but I've also seen a guy who has a combination SPI belt/bib belt. IIRC, mine cost something like $8 or $10 a couple years ago.
    3k8r6ogy5wop.jpg

I have a similar belt but with elastic loops for gels. It's great :)
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    DANG. Ed Whitlock has been killing it for over a decade.

Marathon Wold Records
    4o3ey9rsgebu.png

I heard several podcasts with (and about) him. Very unconventional training, excellent work. I think it was Marathon Talk that interviewed him, but I could be wrong. He passed away in 2017.

ETA: Found it.
    https://marathontalk.com/shows/episode-72-ed-whitlock/
    https://marathontalk.com/shows/episode-375-rip-ed-whitlock/
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited May 2019
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo congrats on the job! I tend to be skeptic too. I want science & studies, not anecdotes and promises. I want to understand the physiological reasons it works. On the other had, when I started taking glucosamine for my knee it was not backed by studies, but through personal testing over a long time, I've come to believe it helps. I agree that benefits could be the result of the placebo affect, or massaging for topicals. After my 50K on the 18th of May, assuming equal pain in my quads, I plan on rubbing CBD cream on one quad and regular cream on the other to see if I notice a difference. While it is unregulated, reputable manufacturers do submit their products for independent testing.

Oh let me know how it goes - for science! I think one reason I'm a skeptic about it working is that the chances of the oil oenetrating the layers of the skin, to get deep enough to the muscle to work... That's not how skin works. So I'm very curious how it goes. Eta did a bit of reading and from what I can see most of the CBD creams also have a lot of menthol so have the same effect as non CBD creams designed for sore muscles. Does this one have menthol or similar? Either way hope it works!