Options

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Also,fwiw, a ring is not the jewelry I’d choose in future

Earrings or a necklace type of gal?

That’s an excellent guess

Bracelet or watch? Can I have a clue? Phone a family member?

I thought about some like this but it’s not quite me.
    fbln4y3zm0so.jpeg

How 'bout we let the moon and the stars be our crown, the earth our footstool. We can sit back and gaze at the wonder that lies before us somewhere in the mountains, and let the bliss of our new-found love clothe us. Because really, who needs jewelry?

meh

t5as7nhw3oik.jpg

You have to admit it was somewhat derivative.

Roses are red, violets are blue
    I'm packing heat, how about you?
    Or would you prefer a haiku?

I just bought a new gun
    But the number of bullets I'm allowed are so few
    #2ndAmendment

Better!

I mean, I wouldn’t be so uptight as to count syllables or anything
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    Also,fwiw, a ring is not the jewelry I’d choose in future

Earrings or a necklace type of gal?

That’s an excellent guess

Bracelet or watch? Can I have a clue? Phone a family member?

I thought about some like this but it’s not quite me.
    fbln4y3zm0so.jpeg

How 'bout we let the moon and the stars be our crown, the earth our footstool. We can sit back and gaze at the wonder that lies before us somewhere in the mountains, and let the bliss of our new-found love clothe us. Because really, who needs jewelry?

meh

t5as7nhw3oik.jpg

You have to admit it was somewhat derivative.

Roses are red, violets are blue
    I'm packing heat, how about you?
    Or would you prefer a haiku?

I just bought a new gun
    But the number of bullets I'm allowed are so few
    #2ndAmendment

Better!

I mean, I wouldn’t be so uptight as to count syllables or anything

Tough crowd. And no I don't actually own a gun :lol:
    😢false advertising

I went to the diner to see a
    Short order cook named Maria
    I asked for grilled cheese
    She said if you please
    Try this great quesadilla
  • Stormy_Knight
    Stormy_Knight Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Who buys the man’s wedding ban ?
    You or her ?
    If she dose then you should pick out the ring you like .
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    This decision is both emotional and rational. You have two major things to consider. First, your future partners expectations. Then, the financial situation you find yourselves in. Ultimately the goal is to find the balance between the two.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I'm of a different generation, but I think you should make that commitment and buy that ring. When I met my wife I was making less than $5 an hour and had little money and didn't have credit cards. I bought the best ring I could afford and got down on one knee and proposed. It was a gold ring with not much more than diamond dust. She accepted. We had little. Our honeymoon was a road trip to Vancouver for one week. We struggled for many years.

Fast forward 25 years. I'm making at least 10 times what I was making then and she is doing the same. We have a beautiful home and a comfortable future. I, with the help of my daughter, went out and bought my wife a very beautiful 25th anniversary ring. I got down on one knee and presented it to her and also told her we were flying to Maui for two weeks to celebrate 25 years together. She loved it.

Does she wear that 25th anniversary ring? Yes. On her right ring finger.

I told her it was to replace the tiny wedding ring she still wears on her left ring finger. She told me that she loved her new ring but it could never replace the original.

Joy tears. 😭
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I didn't ask for it, but my now ex wife, did buy me a watch after I gave her an engagement ring. Not $ for $, nor would I want it to be. it was a nice watch about 1/4 of what I paid for the ring.
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm of a different generation, but I think you should make that commitment and buy that ring. When I met my wife I was making less than $5 an hour and had little money and didn't have credit cards. I bought the best ring I could afford and got down on one knee and proposed. It was a gold ring with not much more than diamond dust. She accepted. We had little. Our honeymoon was a road trip to Vancouver for one week. We struggled for many years.

Fast forward 25 years. I'm making at least 10 times what I was making then and she is doing the same. We have a beautiful home and a comfortable future. I, with the help of my daughter, went out and bought my wife a very beautiful 25th anniversary ring. I got down on one knee and presented it to her and also told her we were flying to Maui for two weeks to celebrate 25 years together. She loved it.

Does she wear that 25th anniversary ring? Yes. On her right ring finger.

I told her it was to replace the tiny wedding ring she still wears on her left ring finger. She told me that she loved her new ring but it could never replace the original.

Joy tears. 😭

Couldn’t have said it better. Joy tears
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,371 Member
    Options
    @TheRoadDog , you are such a romantic. Your wife is a lucky woman!
  • erickirb
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I didn't ask for it, but my now ex wife, did buy me a watch after I gave her an engagement ring. Not $ for $, nor would I want it to be. it was a nice watch about 1/4 of what I paid for the ring.

If you are already keeping score, I recommend you do not get married.

there was no keeping score, the watch was her idea. I thought it was a very nice sentiment. she thought, why should she be the only one getting something. wasn't keeping score at all.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I just got engaged last night. My ring is bigger than I would have thought I would like, but perfect all the same, because it was bought with love from someone who loves me, and that’s really what important. It didn’t have to be a diamond at all and it still would be special to me.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Congratulations! 🤗 🥂
    I just got engaged last night. My ring is bigger than I would have thought I would like, but perfect all the same, because it was bought with love from someone who loves me, and that’s really what is important. It didn’t have to be a diamond at all and it still would be special to me.

Here's to many years of marital bliss

s4sam134yr3u.jpg

thanks a bunch! 🤗
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

there was no keeping score, the watch was her idea. I thought it was a very nice sentiment. she thought, why should she be the only one getting something. wasn't keeping score at all.

I’m guessing he meant because you knew the monetary value of the watch in comparison to the ring. It’s a communication issue is all. 🙂
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I just got engaged last night. My ring is bigger than I would have thought I would like, but perfect all the same, because it was bought with love from someone who loves me, and that’s really what is important. It didn’t have to be a diamond at all and it still would be special to me.

Congratulations. That's one lucky guy.
  • erickirb
    Options

I’m guessing he meant because you knew the monetary value of the watch in comparison to the ring. It’s a communication issue is all. 🙂

Agreed. Lost in translation.

I just meant it as,no need to spend the same amount on the ring, but something for him too is a nice gesture!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I did want a ring, but it didn't have to be anything extravagant (and mine isn't). I would have been happy with a courthouse or destination wedding and a reception afterwards for family. He is the one that wanted to be married by his pastor, so that is what we did. He paid for the rings, I paid for most of the wedding/reception (family helped pay for the rest. He let me pick it out at the store which I was ok with since I am a picky person to begin with.

It is really all dependent on what the couple can agree upon. And really, if she is someone you want to marry and spend the rest of your lives together, you should want to do what you can to make her happy (within reason). She should be willing to do the same as well.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I did this for my now ex husband too. The watch was nicer than what he had previously, but not the same value as the engagement ring. He would never wear a watch that would be worth the same amount we paid for the engagement ring.