Less Alcohol - May 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    My plan for May will be 5AF days per week.

May 01 - AF
    May 02 - AF - planned night out for dinner, drinks, a concert Friday night the 3rd. I am okay with that, I do it seldom.
    May 03 - 1/2 litre of wine + 2 drinks! Off the rails with food too - this happens when we consume alcohol. I had a good time, but it is bad for the waistline.
    May 04 - AF
    May 05 - AF
    May 06 - AF
    May 07 - AF - really felt like having a drink just now, but came on here to record an AF day, which really helped me to abstain.
    May 08 - 3 drinks

Running total: 6AF day out of 8 days so far
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @AbandondedKSCharger
    I see that you had an AF day on the 5th of May!! Congrats. How did you feel the next day??
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    What Is A Standard Drink? Or, how many drinks did I actually consume?

Many people are surprised to learn what counts as a drink. The amount of liquid in your glass, can, or bottle does not necessarily match up to how much alcohol is actually in your drink. Different types of beer, wine, or malt liquor can have very different amounts of alcohol content. For example, many light beers have almost as much alcohol as regular beer – about 85% as much. Here’s another way to put it:

Regular beer: 5% alcohol content
    Some light beers: 4.2% alcohol content
    That’s why it’s important to know how much alcohol your drink contains. In the United States, one "standard" drink (or one alcoholic drink equivalent) contains roughly 14 grams of pure alcohol, which is found in:

12 ounces of regular beer, which is usually about 5% alcohol
    5 ounces of wine, which is typically about 12% alcohol
    1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, which is about 40% alcohol
    How do you know how much alcohol is in your drink?

Even though they come in different sizes, the drinks below are each examples of one standard drink:
    uoae6c540rh4.jpeg

The same amount of alcohol is contained in 12 fluid ounces of regular beer, 8 to 9 fluid ounces of malt liquor, 5 fluid ounces of table wine, or a 1.5 fluid ounce shot of 80-proof spirits (“hard liquor” such as whiskey, gin, etc.) The percent of ‘pure’ alcohol varies by beverage.

Each beverage portrayed above represents one standard drink (or one alcoholic drink equivalent), defined in the United States as any beverage containing 0.6 fl oz or 14 grams of pure alcohol. The percentage of pure alcohol, expressed here as alcohol by volume (alc/vol), varies within and across beverage types. Although the standard drink amounts are helpful for following health guidelines, they may not reflect customary serving sizes.

For women, low-risk drinking is defined as no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week.
    For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week.

(note: these are U.S. guildlines other countries do or may vary)
  • mckinlau
    mckinlau Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    mckinlau wrote: »
    I’m back for May :) April was only 6 AF days, so far January is the month to beat at 17. I’ve ordered the alcohol experiment and the goal is to complete the 30-day challenge

Hey, let me know when you get yours. I've just started reading mine. But I haven't started any actions yet.

It came! I read Day 1 and did the actions but business trips have me all messed up this week so I plan to restart on Monday when I am prepped with groceries etc to commit to a healthy week of food/AF in general.

• beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    beebva4 wrote: »
    May 1 - one generous size glass of whiskey in celebration of going into contract with selling our house!
    May 2 - 1.5 truly hard waters (150 cals)
    Oh and I took a sip of my husbands
    whiskey
    May 3 - AF
    May 4 - 2 drinks. Not too bad for a party and better than I normally would have done. One mint jelup and one truly 100 calorie hard sparkling water.
    May 5 - 2 lime-a-ritas :( disappointed myself on this one.
    May 6 - AF
    May 7 - AF

Woohoo! Two days in a row. I found yesterday to be actually super easy after the first day of AF. By the time about 8pm rolled around I realized how late it had gotten and I hadn't had one moment where I found myself thinking of having something. Even with about 450 cals left over! Instead I had a wee snack and completed my diary.
    Today my goal is another AF day!

WOW! Nice job and proud of you! I am still waiting for my first "AF" day to come! I have to set a date and make it happen. Just intentionally delaying it and waiting for the right moment. Suppose up to us to decide and not wait around for it...:)

@globalhiker that's what I did, i kept saying I'll start Monday or I'll wait till this day because I know there's nothing going on. But that didnt work so I just said today's the day! I hope you will get to find your day and that it goes great! :)
  • CorkyLaRue
    CorkyLaRue Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    AF since April 28. For me, drinking makes it almost impossible for me to lose weight. My goal for this month is to stay AF until Memorial Weekend - when I'll enjoy some everclear soaked fruits I've been patiently tending to. smile:
    My long term goal is to only consume alcohol once a month.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I’m back for May :) April was only 6 AF days, so far January is the month to beat at 17. I’ve ordered the alcohol experiment and the goal is to complete the 30-day challenge

Hey, let me know when you get yours. I've just started reading mine. But I haven't started any actions yet.

It came! I read Day 1 and did the actions but business trips have me all messed up this week so I plan to restart on Monday when I am prepped with groceries etc to commit to a healthy week of food/AF in general.

I'm also on the road until Tuesday. I did bring my book with me though.
    I had some negative thinking this morning that has my caution flag up.
    I'm already making excuses and preparing myself to fail. " more details later.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options

I'm also on the road until Tuesday. I did bring my book with me though.
    I had some negative thinking this morning that has my caution flag up.
    I'm already making excuses and preparing myself to fail. " more details later.

Ha!!!! Look what I just read on page 17...Be positive!!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    @AbandondedKSCharger
    I see that you had an AF day on the 5th of May!! Congrats. How did you feel the next day??

Great!! Thanks;)
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Wanted to say I also joined the Ultimate Accountability Challenge group here on MFP (rules loose, but I really like it and it's working!), and I am finding it helpful. It's really making me stick to a daily exercise and when I do that (as I have been), I tend to be more mindful of serving myself and sticking to my "game plan", whether it's food calories or alcohol calories. Bottom line, it's indirectly motivating me to reduce my alcohol calories.

Thanks for mentioning your in that group also. May be the damaged brain cells from the alcohol, but I have a hard time remembering who in this thread is also a part of UAC.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options

May 1: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 2: Goal 3/Acutal <2 (didn't finish it all) I focused on postponing that first drink. Kept myself busier. Tried to stay off the phone and couch. Success!
    May 3: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines and aunt & uncles, 3 beers when returned home.
    May 4: Goal open/Actual, 2 wines at lunch with girl friends...…..wayyy over Saturday when returning home (8).
    May 5: Goal 3/Actual 0
    May 6: Goal 3/Actual 5
    May 7: Goal 3 / Actual 4
    May 8: Goal 3 / actual 7
    I did feel a lilly bit sluggish in the am but completely enjoyed surprising my friend.

Almost to my daughter's...out for dinner. I think I can feel good and take it easy. One glass of wine at dinner, then tea, then maybe one at her house. Habit says automatic pick up a 12 pack before going to the hotel. Hubby will definitely stop. I can see in the future loosing that desire for myself. But for now, I will keep it to only 2 before bed. Big day tomorrow.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    May 1 - one generous size glass of whiskey in celebration of going into contract with selling our house!
    May 2 - 1.5 truly hard waters (150 cals)
    Oh and I took a sip of my husbands
    whiskey
    May 3 - AF
    May 4 - 2 drinks. Not too bad for a party and better than I normally would have done. One mint jelup and one truly 100 calorie hard sparkling water.
    May 5 - 2 lime-a-ritas :( disappointed myself on this one.
    May 6 - AF
    May 7 - AF
    May 8 - AF

Well, I planned on AF today. Had done good all day withing my calorie range then the inspection came and got some bad news. Needless to say, we went and got rum and had pizza for dinner. Ugh. Well tomorrow is a new day and I will make up for it by going AF on a Friday and by working out. One day will not break me! Not anymore!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

May 01 - AF
    May 02 - AF - planned night out for dinner, drinks, a concert Friday night the 3rd. I am okay with that, I do it seldom.
    May 03 - 1/2 litre of wine + 2 drinks! Off the rails with food too - this happens when we consume alcohol. I had a good time, but it is bad for the waistline.
    May 04 - AF
    May 05 - AF
    May 06 - AF
    May 07 - AF - really felt like having a drink just now, but came on here to record an AF day, which really helped me to abstain.
    May 08 - 3 drinks
    May 09 - AF - I have a deficit of 1900 left for today (very active day), so a couple of drinks would be within range - but - no drinking 2 days in a row, and I am going out tomorrow night and don't want a puffy face and puffy belly.

Running total: 7AF day out of 9 days so far
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

May 01 - AF
    May 04 - AF
    May 05 - AF
    May 06 - AF
    May 08 - 3 drinks
    May 09 - AF - I have a deficit of 1900 left for today (very active day), so a couple of drinks would be within range - but - no drinking 2 days in a row, and I am going out tomorrow night and don't want a puffy face and puffy belly.
    May 10 - 3 drinks. The show was sold out that the plan was to go to. Instead, worked my butt off getting the garden going, then fell to what most people are feeling like this time of year, a few drinks on the porch after working hard in the sun. All good.

Running total: 7AF day out of 10 days so far
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    May accountability ~10 days so far
    No Alcohol: 5 days
    Alcohol: 5 days (10 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    What a big change in my life … 2016-2018 I could not count my AF days … it was 2-5 glasses per night or other drink usually 6-7 nights per week. Loving the change I’ve made in 2019 and it is helping the numbers on the scale go down.

May 1 - 1 beer @ camp
    May 2 - 2 wine small glasses; 1 at home + 1 at bunco.
    May 3 - AF
    May 4 - 2 glasses wine @ Sam’s
    May 5 - AF
    May 6 - AF
    May 7 - AF
    May 8 - 1 gin tonic; stressful with flooding and trapped … not tonic expired 5 years ago but it was the only thing in the house
    May 9 - 4 glasses wine; over indulged with company 3 bottles w/ 4 of us drinking wine
    May 10 - AF