Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Anyone else do The Muscle Building Routine from the first post?

Yes ran it for 8 weeks, it's quite tough.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »
    Anyone else do The Muscle Building Routine from the first post?

Yes ran it for 8 weeks, it's quite tough.

Success?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Glad to rejoin the lifting community! After a decade of lifting, I took an entire year off lifting to afford payments on my kids' braces. Just recently I paid them off and renewed my gym membership.

Talk about use-it-or-lose-it! In all three core lifts I have lost an estimated 25% off my 1RM (bench/deadlift) or more (50% off squat)!! Combined with now being 42, and it's daunting to think about trying to regain that same strength level, especially since my work schedule typically allows only two lifting days per week.

Consequently, I've set myself a program where I do two full-body days, alternating between a "heavy" day of 5x1 for deadlift and 5x5 for bench/OHP/row, and a "volume" day of 3x10 for a variety of exercises (DB bench, pulldown, facepulls, etc).

My main goals are to feel good moving into my mid-life, along with simply lifting for the joy of lifting. No strongman or bodybuilding competitions in my future.

Think I'm just spinning my wheels, that I should look at a SL beginner's routine for a few months? Or just acknowledge that I'm older, my heaviest lifting days are behind me, and keep going as I am? (I have no intention of almost tearing my rotator cuff again due to gunning for a stratospheric 1RM as I did in my 30's...I've already missed enough gym time, I don't want to take time off for injury every again!)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Are you avoiding squats for some reason?
  • jdelaineo
    jdelaineo Posts: 10 Member
    Bumping for future
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Glad to rejoin the lifting community! After a decade of lifting, I took an entire year off lifting to afford payments on my kids' braces. Just recently I paid them off and renewed my gym membership.

Talk about use-it-or-lose-it! In all three core lifts I have lost an estimated 25% off my 1RM (bench/deadlift) or more (50% off squat)!! Combined with now being 42, and it's daunting to think about trying to regain that same strength level, especially since my work schedule typically allows only two lifting days per week.

Consequently, I've set myself a program where I do two full-body days, alternating between a "heavy" day of 5x1 for deadlift and 5x5 for bench/OHP/row, and a "volume" day of 3x10 for a variety of exercises (DB bench, pulldown, facepulls, etc).

My main goals are to feel good moving into my mid-life, along with simply lifting for the joy of lifting. No strongman or bodybuilding competitions in my future.

Think I'm just spinning my wheels, that I should look at a SL beginner's routine for a few months? Or just acknowledge that I'm older, my heaviest lifting days are behind me, and keep going as I am? (I have no intention of almost tearing my rotator cuff again due to gunning for a stratospheric 1RM as I did in my 30's...I've already missed enough gym time, I don't want to take time off for injury every again!)

That's an interesting point. I've been lifting off and on (mostly on) for the better part of 40 years, yet due to *really boring details* I have to stay in the beginners catagory due to my physical condition, as opposed to years lifting. I think that's how it's intended.

I've had my rt rotator cuff repaired, and the left is torn, but not ready for surgery per the Doc, so what I'm doing is sticking primarily with the basic 5x5 with accessories and modified to not wreck me. Such as replacing the barbell OHP with lighter dumbell OHPs and landmine presses as they are more controllable for me and tend to not cause that warning pain from the impingement.

All in all my days of worrying about aesthetics and minimal gains are finished and replaced with safe but healthy and fairly satisfying lifts that won't put me back on the surgical table.

Don't know if that helps or not lol, wish you the best though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    nossmf wrote: »

Since almost every winter is going back into lifting from huge cardio spring/summer/fall training - it's always back to beginner level, which is frankly what I leave the winter as since only months of work.
    I vary what program I attempt (mainly self constructed now) - but the initial usage is accelerated to find current working weight.

I'd stick with one program or the other both days, increase weight each time until you get to better working weight - unless you already have a handle on that.

Get those tendons & ligaments used to it again, muscles probably recovery pretty good.

Obviously the shoulder may be a slower approach, I know I have to recall that. Swimming can keep the muscles stronger and used to be used - but those bench specific supports/tendons can sure be a problem if I try to jump back too quick. Old rotator cuff surgery too.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2019
    Here's a write-up that might be helpful, @nossmf: https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/returning-to-training-after-a-layoff-qa.html/#more-2579 The paragraph under "What Not To Do" is aimed directly at you :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    There's a bunch of questions about exercise and body shaping/muscle building recently, so...

BUMP!
  • jeffrey_ad
    jeffrey_ad Posts: 789 Member
    I really love this post and all the great information. I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for 16 weeks and have really enjoyed it. I like the app. Recently I read Starting Strength and was very intrigued. What are you thoughts on the two programs? I have failed a few Overheads and Benches usually on the 4th or 5th sets, so what do you think of the 5x5 vs. 3x5? I'm also curious about the Power Clean vs. Barbell Row.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    warnongbri wrote: »
    jeffrey_ad wrote: »
    I really love this post and all the great information. I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 for 16 weeks and have really enjoyed it. I like the app. Recently I read Starting Strength and was very intrigued. What are you thoughts on the two programs? I have failed a few Overheads and Benches usually on the 4th or 5th sets, so what do you think of the 5x5 vs. 3x5? I'm also curious about the Power Clean vs. Barbell Row.

I'm doing SL 5x5 and am loving it.
    When I compared the two, the reason I chose 5x5 was the simplicity which made it easier to be consistent which made it easier to make progress (gains!)

Personally I wasn't too interested in the power clean (SS) certainly not at this stage and from what I know, the low bar squat which Mark Rippetoe (Starting Strength) recommends works very similar muscle groups and chain as the deadlift.

So I chose the high bar SL 5x5 variant.

Criticisms of them both would be Mehdi being a marketer first and foremost but I don't mind that. He's done good things for the average new lifter. And with SS, it's the whole eat, drink milk, chase the lifting numbers ethos.

Bottomline: they are both good.

I did 5x5 for a bit, then went to Phraks Greyskull which is quite similar. About to do Kinobody GGP (Greek God Program) after I finish this cut.

• jtucke1420
    jtucke1420 Posts: 1 Member
    So I’m just now finding this thread! Currently running a full body split but after finding the information on the gvt I’m interested in changing it up! Since it only recommends doin each body part every five days what would be some ideas on doin that volume on a full body split?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    This needs a bump so badly.

BUMPITY, BUMP, BUMP.

Cheers, h. B)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited September 2019
    Oooops Wrong thread
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Oooops Wrong thread

But a good bump since there have been several related questions in the last week. ;)
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    I’m doing M&S Dumbbell Full Body program right now. It’s pretty easy though. I’ll stay the course and up weights. Before that, I did P90x.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    MDC2957 wrote: »

It's already on the list. Or is there another question?
  • Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    What a great thread.
    I’d be really grateful for some advice:
    I get a bit overwhelmed by all the choice- what would you recommend for someone who wants to move from specific olympic weightlifting training to a programme that develops a more hybrid, versatile, leaner (and stronger), balanced fitness? I go to a gym that has pretty much everything.
    I also have a pull-up bar that I’m scared of. Does anyone have an absolute beginner prog for pull-ups? I can barely hang!
    Thanks.