Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I always run with headphones. They are not always on (well almost always when I am running alone, but I often have them on and just calling pace in a big race), but there are in place to call outpace regardless. I am thinking about getting the Trekz headphones that do not go in your ear at all but use bone conducting. I tired them at the Expo this year and they actually work very well. You can both clearly hear and still have full awareness of noises around you.

These:
    https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

Just do not have the cash right now.

I have the ear buds... er yurbuds... I have two pair. One hangs over your ear and lets you hear your surroundings the other are sweet and eliminates surrounding noise. St Jude’s sent them to me for a fancy donation. I can’t run with anything in my ears for very long. Both pair make my ears sore. So, I figure I’m just not meant to run with them. I get distracted anyway and try to dance or wanna fight, depends on what I’m listening too.

They have those Bluetooth ones now. I bet you could use one at an event and it not be a blatant violation or even noticed. Guys at work use one like that. And there are supposed to be some specifically for sports.

ETA I think @garygse tried some out and didn’t like them. I can’t remember specifically why. I do like the concept though.
    And
    I think I wanna pair now...

"Yurbuds" is not at all what I was talking about :) Look at the link, these do not go in or over the ear at all. They are bone conducting and leave your ear completely 100% unobstructed.

Oh yes I realized I wasn't clear. I was saying the yurbuds or Bluetooth ear piece ones might be a suitable alternative to the expensive ones. The bone conducting seems cool. But I wonder if the pressure would get irritating.

I wear the bone conduction type and they don't have what I would call "pressure." There is some sound and there is vibration, but not pressure. They do seem to be more difficult with both sunglasses and headphones and a hat. See my profile photo... I was wearing bone conduction headphones, sunglasses, and a hat. And yes, I could hear and was talking to other runners ahead and behind me. Though I sometimes paused the music so I could talk while running without distraction of music.

Hmm, interesting points. I have a child sized head and no hat fits. If I got these bone conducting ones, hats might fit. The sunglasses might be an issue though. It looks like you’re making it work. I’ll put them on the return to running* wish list.

ETA *cycling

Trekz makes a smaller size. My wife is tiny and wears child-sized glasses, and the smaller Trekz stayed on her despite looking a bit big for her. She jumped around even.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Remember my unknown stomach issue in the marathon? FLIPPEN NUUN CHANGED their formula at some point and has STEVIA IN IT instead of sorbitol like it used to!

Stevia is in the ragweed family and I am allergic to it because of that :(

HASHTAG GRR!!! HASHTAG GRR!!!!!

I believe you were supposed to send me some Nuun after my last race when I complained about that stuff. SEE?!?! It's awful! :)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    09/05 2.53 miles
    10/05 3.22 miles
    16/05 3.24 miles

exercise.png

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Remember my unknown stomach issue in the marathon? FLIPPEN NUUN CHANGED their formula at some point and has STEVIA IN IT instead of sorbitol like it used to!

I believe you were supposed to send me some Nuun after my last race when I complained about that stuff. SEE?!?! It's awful! :)

Sorry, I do not remember this conversation. I have never tried Nuun before this race, and own none. Not saying the conversation did not happen, just that I do not recall it. Tell you what... in my next post I will post a Nuun coupon, just for you! (and everyone that actually might want to buy the stuff)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    This has been shared in multiple FB groups now, so I guess it is about as public as it gets. This copy came from the running club I am in locally, but have seen it all over the internet now, even in MFP's FB group:

arkq1txhskj9.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I notice about a 30-45 second difference in my pace when I run outside when it's cool or on the treadmill to when I run outside in the afternoon when it's humid, hot, and sunny. I've been in the south for 4 years now. I just can't seem to get my body to go any faster when it's hot. Does is every get any better or easier?

So, the optimal temperature for running is somewhere around 50-55F (it will vary a bit per person and etc). Anything outside of that will hurt performance. Humidity, dew point, wind and etc are also factors. Simply put you will not run as well in 90F as you will in 55F. I started running while I was still living in the southern US, and I lost a good MINUTE, often more off my pace when the temps AND humidity both crossed 90.

You need to adjust expectations to match the weather and carry on. You will find your speed returns in the fall, and if you trained well, you might even be faster.

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent funny you should post that as I spent a good portion of my day at a weed meeting. Goats were definately mentioned.

Winter is back. I think we are on #8. Not really sure anymore. Also, donated blood today, so wanted something pretty low key. So, I cut my run interval lengths back down, and got 2.7 miles in.

2.7 today = 35.9/50
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

GRRRRRRRRR much frustration and anger is called for here. What do they think they are doing! At least you know now I gues but seriously WTF. They make food for runners, they should know how picky runners get with their products.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Options

Sorry, I do not remember this conversation. I have never tried Nuun before this race, and own none. Not saying the conversation did not happen, just that I do not recall it. Tell you what... in my next post I will post a Nuun coupon, just for you! (and everyone that actually might want to buy the stuff)

sw5zlluxb2du.png

• PastorVincent
    Options

sw5zlluxb2du.png

HA! OKay, that reminds me of it now :) Well I posted a coupon for you, does that help? :smiley:
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

GRRRRRRRRR much frustration and anger is called for here. What do they think they are doing! At least you know now I gues but seriously WTF. They make food for runners, they should know how picky runners get with their products.

I tried Nuun for the first time during a 15K I ran in February. I'd never heard of it before. Well the Nuun was like an Alka Seltzer tablet and it wasn't fully dissolved with I picked it up. Plus it was light yellow and in my rush to grab a beverage, I was prepared for water, not this fizzy stuff. My stomach gurgled for a good two miles after that. I was like WHAT IS WRONG WITH GATORADE? Thought I was going to barf right then and there.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I looked it up and they have swapped formulas twice - in 2016 they swapped from sorbitol to stevia plus monk fruit and dextrose. And in January 2019 they swapped to just stevia plus dextrose and rice. Since one of my reasons for preferring nuun to other sports drinks is the low carbs I was concerned when I read about the rice, but supposedly the new formula contains only 2 carbs instead of 4. However for some reason the calories have gone from 10 to 15, which makes me curious about what else they added.

Also the new formula contains more potassium. Supposedly the new combo with rice and more potassium is absorbed quicker. The reasoning behind eliminating the monk fruit is that it’s now certified GMO free - I guess monk fruit is a GMO?

Regardless the old stuff worked for me and I’m not looking forward to test driving some experimental stuff.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @Lazy_Bones_85 - Here are a couple of articles about the affects of heat and humidity on running.

https://www.fleetfeet.com/s/columbus/training/educational-resources/running-in-the-heat-and-humidity
    https://www.active.com/running/articles/running-in-the-humidity

@hanlonsk - they use goats a lot in the PNW to get rid of weeds and invasive plants. In CA they use them in areas that are difficult to get into clear out brush from fire prone areas.