Everywhere shrinks but lower belly

Options
Kales97
Kales97 Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m down 22 lbs since March 1st. (I’m 5’8 & 175 lbs). I’ve gone down from size 12 to size 10 in jeans but my lower belly stays the same! 😭 Is there something specific I should be doing to lose the fat there? Or is this all genetic? It drives me crazy that the pouch still stays. (I’ve included a photo).

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You've done great and come a long way. Keep it up as you still have some body fat to lose.
  • mmapags
    Options
    pilia13 wrote: »
    If you are not working out at the gym, it will be hard to lose that. I’d suggest trying that if you haven’t already. Congratulations on the weight loss, 23 lbs is awesome!

While exercise is great for health, fat loss is all about calorie deficit.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lower belly is the real *kitten*. It truly is the last to go. I am at 9.2% bf, I still have 6 centimeters to go. because of my body type. MY dietitian calculated with her formulas that for me to see abszzzz, I need to go to 5.7%. Now, that sounds ridiculously low, but, I am putting on 1.2 pounds of muscle for every pound on fat I drop. So, My weight is actually the same or a bit higher. But, losing everywhere. So, do not lose faith. Stay consistent, stay in the game, and you will achieve the desired results. Just have a realistic timeline.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Lower belly is the real *kitten*. It truly is the last to go. I am at 9.2% bf, I still have 6 centimeters to go. because of my body type. MY dietitian calculated with her formulas that for me to see abszzzz, I need to go to 5.7%. Now, that sounds ridiculously low, but, I am putting on 1.2 pounds of muscle for every pound on fat I drop. So, My weight is actually the same or a bit higher. But, losing everywhere. So, do not lose faith. Stay consistent, stay in the game, and you will achieve the desired results. Just have a realistic timeline.

For many people that is true. I carry the last reserve of fat over my hips toward the back above my glutes. I can have a flat belly and extra fat there and it is the hardest to make disappear.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you are not working out at the gym, it will be hard to lose that. I’d suggest trying that if you haven’t already. Congratulations on the weight loss, 23 lbs is awesome!

I guess I don't know what kind of workout you have in mind here- be it weight lifting or some kind of cardio- but weight lifting doesn't get rid of fat, it just makes things nice and toned underneath (which is great :) ). No workout specifically targets fat, except in the sense that it may help achieve the calorie deficit necessary to burn fat overall. In fact, a person wouldn't have to work out at all to do that, but the aesthetics will be much better.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I guess I don't know what kind of workout you have in mind here- be it weight lifting or some kind of cardio- but weight lifting doesn't get rid of fat, it just makes things nice and toned underneath (which is great :) ). No workout specifically targets fat, except in the sense that it may help achieve the calorie deficit necessary to burn fat overall. In fact, a person wouldn't have to work out at all to do that, but the aesthetics will be much better.

No, but lifting helps you retain muscle as you lose, otherwise, you lose fat and muscle, making it harder to look how you want.

If your goal was to lose 10 lbs but didn't lift, you may lose 4 lbs of lbm and 6 fat, which would look different than if your lost 10, 8 of which is fat. That extra 2 lbs of fat loss makes a difference from a bf% standpoint
  • try2again
    edited May 2019
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

No, but lifting helps you retain muscle as you lose, otherwise, you lose fat and muscle, making it harder to look how you want.

If your goal was to lose 10 lbs but didn't lift, you may lose 4 lbs of lbm and 6 fat, which would look different than if your lost 10, 8 of which is fat. That extra 2 lbs of fat loss makes a difference from a bf% standpoint

Uh-huh... that's why I said it improves aesthetics. ;) I was just replying to the implication of the previous poster that lifting (or cardio) is necessary to lose fat. I'm all for weight lifting :)
  • try2again
    Options

Um... why was my comment flagged?
  • erickirb
    Options

Um... why was my comment flagged?

Good question... maybe someone isn't sure what a flag is for??
  • Kales97
    Kales97 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Thank you; but I already workout 4-5x a week :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Kales97 wrote: »
    I’m down 22 lbs since March 1st. (I’m 5’8 & 175 lbs). I’ve gone down from size 12 to size 10 in jeans but my lower belly stays the same! 😭 Is there something specific I should be doing to lose the fat there? Or is this all genetic? It drives me crazy that the pouch still stays. (I’ve included a photo).

Your lower belly is definitely not the same.

For many, belly fat is primary fat stores...especially the lower belly. Primary fat stores are a first on, last off kind of thing.
  • erickirb
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Kales97 wrote: »

Thank you; but I already workout 4-5x a week :)

Are you following a structured lifting program though?

If not, take a look at some good options here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1